152 replies to this topic

#121 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

More swings and roundabouts today. I got the boot lock fitted. I had fitted the boot seal but I think I put it on the wrong way so I turned it round to try and make it easier to close. It was a bit easier but in trying to get it closed (which I still haven't done) I put a small dent in the boot lid. I am so very annoyed. So between kinking the bonnet yesterday and bumping the boot lid today it has not been a great weekend,

On the positive side I did get the horn fitted.

Onwards and upwards!

Rod

#122 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

I am desperately trying to get stuff finished so the engine can go in and it can be MOT'd.

Got the glass in both doors, got the handles on and all the door opening controls, put both doors on.

Put the earth strap in the boot, fitted the heater. Ok so the heater isn't essential for the MOT but it has the two pipes carrying fluid in and out of the heater and they will connect in to the pipes around the engine so even though the heater isn't connected electrical, at least the pipes are in place so that can all be connected.

I also fitted the gear linkage and taped up any bare wires (I hope I got them all). I did remove the rubber from the boot seal because I can't get it to shut so once I can afford to force it shut and then leave it for a few days I'll put it back on. Right now I need to keep going in the boot so thats not a good idea.

As ever, I did do 1 stupid thing. I lost the screws that stick out the back of the button on the door handle (what a muppet). So I need to open the doors using the internal controls. I also had another mishap. The glass has slipped in the driver door so I need to open it back up and adjust it. The problem seems to be that the winder arms weren't aligned properly in the runners, or the one runner is a bit more sticky than the other and is running as smooth.

I fitted an uprated loom for the front headlights which are angel eyes running Osram NightBreakers. The loom was supplied by Wired By Wilson and looks a great piece of kit.

I've just remembered that there are a few more bullet connectors in the front of the loom I need to tape up - best not forget that. I shall set myself a reminder on my phone.

Both of the front seats have gone in and look pretty good. All the seat belts are in and the internal light is connected and in place (even though the door switches aren't yet).

It's been a busy couple of days doing little odds and sods but its coming along.

Rod

#123 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi All,

Another milestone. Here's the old girl on the back of a trailer going off to get the engine fitted and, hopefully, MOT'd.

Lots still to do but it will be amazing to hear it running again after 4 years.

Rod

Attached Files

#124 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Got a couple of pics of my engine before it gets refitted today.

It's looking lovely in my opinion.

Rod

Attached Files

#125 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

IT ONLY GOT ITS MOT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

#126 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

excellent!

Any pictures of the finished car?

#127 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

Hi,

It's far from complete but is a some shot of the engine in situ and the angel eyes with the chrome outer rims on. I'll get more photos over the next few days if anyone is interested.

I am going to put a chrome cover over the coil and change the rocker cover to a nice chrome one. I suppose I've also got to put the weather shield in. I did see that someone had a clear one which would look better.

I am having problems getting the speedo working though. It all looks connected but it aint reading anything. Good job I can only go slow during the run in phase anyway!

Cheers

Rod

Attached Files

#128 eean

eean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hi Rod check your messages

#129 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

Just ordered myself a Cat 1 Thatcham alarm to be fitted - lovely. Even though its not finished I want to make sure its protected.

Rod

#130 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Remember it won't be cat 1 if you fit it yourself. You'll either need it fitted by a registered installer or get it checked over by one after.

#131 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

It is being fitted by a perfessionerl squire! :-)

#132 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

Rubbed down the front grill. It had obviously taken a large stone or had a bump at some point. Spent ages re-aligning it all. Undercoated it and then sprayed it gloss black.

I've also ordered new stainless bumpers from Minispares and some brightwork for around the grill. Hope to get that fitted in the next few days and then she will start to look dressed.

Also, I'm still running in the engine. It's taking ages because of the rubbish weather and I'm not taking it out in the rain :-)

Still, I've done just over 400 miles so a bit more and then I can get it set up properly and drive like Miss Daisy isn't in the back seat!

Edited by rodandtom, 05 March 2016 - 02:01 PM.

#133 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

As I'm not putting the lower dash rail back on, the switch panel doesn't fit. I bought some aluminium and today I cut it to fit the switches in.

I've shaped it and will load some photos shortly. I've cut the holes for the switches and drilled the mounting holes. Now I just need to fit the heater and choke cables and then get it on the car.

I'm going to spray it gloss black I think.

Rod

#134 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Fitted new front and rear bumpers today. They are the stainless steel variety from Minispares. The front flew on easily. The rear fitted at the ends but the middle is way out.

I'm not really sure what to do because I would need to distort the bumper some way to get it to fit. For the moment I've fitted the two ends and it sits there and looks good but it's not right. Anyone else had this?

Also, very annoyingly, the new indicator stalk that I fitted just flew apart when I was turning right today. The end and the spring shot off and won't go back on so that's another new part I'll have to buy. It's frustrating because its only been on there for a couple of months.

Rod

#135 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Took the old girl out for a spin on the weekend as it was sunny. Here's a couple of photos. Still need to fit the grill though.

Rod

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users