#1 MiniNovice95

MiniNovice95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this Forum and new to Mini ownership.

I recently bought a 1997 Mini British Open as an everyday car. this basically includes getting to the shops and, quite importantly, getting to work and back.

Now at my workplace, they provide us with free parking in an underground car park. It's a very tight and twisty drive down to our parking spaces in the - 5th to - 8th Story under ground, which is why I thought that a small Mini would be ideal. But now, having picked the car up and given it a test drive down the slopes of the car park, I very soon found out, that the very limited ammount of ground clearance means that on every crest, the exhaust would hit the concrete floor, which isn't pleasant.  

So my question now ist: How much ground clearance is that Mini supposed to have?

Is there any way of modifying the exhaust to enhance ground clearance? Which other measures could be taken to raise the Mini a bit. (Suspension etc?)

Thanks very much in advance for any helpful advice given.

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

You can't get the exhaust any higher if its fitted correctly, but your car may be suffering from soft cones and the ride height dropped, measure from the centre of the wheel to the lip on the wheel arch and someone will comment if yours is low. You could if low fit new cones or if they are still in good condition but settled fit Hi-Lows to set it up http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Edited by KernowCooper, 18 July 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#3 MiniNovice95

MiniNovice95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

You can't get the exhaust any higher if its fitted correctly, but your car may be suffering from soft cones and the ride height dropped, measure from the centre of the wheel to the lip on the wheel arch and someone will comment if yours is low. You could if low fit new cones or if they are still in good condition but settled fit Hi-Lows to set it up http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll get outside and measure the distance you quoted and post it as soon as possible, but temperatures are extreme in Germany at the moment and getting outside would probably turn me into a large roast straight away :). Once the heat will have dropped (at midnight probably), I'll be back.

Edited by MiniNovice95, 19 July 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#4 MiniNovice95

MiniNovice95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

Thanks to a drop in termperature I now have been able to measure the distances between the centre of the wheel and the lip on the wheelarch. It's about 28.5 cm at the front and slightly more (about 29 cm) at the back. If needed, I could try and measure it more accurately.

Is that sort of ride height all right or is it too low?

Thanks ind advance for any helpful response given.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users