• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: looking, (Live in Germany)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Dear mini team,

Am installing a new loom in my project car. 1989 Mayfair. 1293cc 5 port sc injection system.

The previous loom was a mess...parts cut out different colours used etc. after having taken the loom out two years ago to restore the shell I have lost my bearings regarding the relays.....
Could someone help me.

For which circuits would I need relays, and what rating? The loom for the injection ECU unit is already catered for...have four fuse box. From memory I need a flasher unit...maybe a relay for the hazard lights.......any help any advice...would be most grateful..

I was a little disappointed that the new loom did not have these components already on....

Never mind.

#2 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

You'll need a

indicator flasher relay

hazard flasher relay

Relays for dip and main beam headlights

Relay for the electric cooling fan if you've got one

Relay for the starter (I think)

Then you can relay anything that is high power draw which you want to remove that draw from the switch for the item, like rear heated screen, possibly horns and heater fan etc.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,492 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

You need 2x 3 pin relays for the indicator circuits and a 5 pin relay for your starter motor... Id remove the Pink White wire form the new loom (where fitted) and replace this with a new white wire and a 12v coil.. This will save you money in the long term!

#4 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Then you can relay anything that is high power draw which you want to remove that draw from the switch for the item, like rear heated screen, possibly horns and heater fan etc.

Will one relay do the whole lot here?

Any idea how I connect them up?

Complete beginner in this area...

Thanks for help:)

#5 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

You need 2x 3 pin relays for the indicator circuits and a 5 pin relay for your starter motor... Id remove the Pink White wire form the new loom (where fitted) and replace this with a new white wire and a 12v coil.. This will save you money in the long term!

Indicator circuits meaning indicators and hazard?

Thanks for help

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Each critical high-power circuit needs its own relay. A relay is just an electrically operated switch.

For the headlights you need one relay for main beams and another for dipped beams. In fact, some people use one relay for each main beam light (i.e. 2 separate relays) and one for each dipped light (i.e. 2 more separate relays.

Then relays are needed for fog and/or spot lights.

'KernowCooper'  (Dave) is a great help with this sort of electrical stuff and can do circuit diagrams if needed.

#7 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

'KernowCooper'  (Dave) is a great help with this sort of electrical stuff and can do circuit diagrams if needed.

Cheers , have noted that kernowCooper is quite well received on the electrical part of the frequently asked questions section.

I have a start....been going through the various electrical circuits in the Haynes....seems to make sense actually But I can only spot two relays.....starter relay and dim dip relay... Am wondering if the so called "direction indicator unit" is the flasher unit...and if the "hazard warning unit" is a relay...? Otherwise I can see no other relays...there are switches such as the horn switch but is this not the horn you physically press on the stalk or the middle of the steering wheel?

For ref am looking at the 1988 on diagram...

Any help?

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Cheers , have noted that kernowCooper is quite well received on the electrical part of the frequently asked questions section.

I have a start....been going through the various electrical circuits in the Haynes....seems to make sense actually But I can only spot two relays.....starter relay and dim dip relay... Am wondering if the so called "direction indicator unit" is the flasher unit...and if the "hazard warning unit" is a relay...? Otherwise I can see no other relays...there are switches such as the horn switch but is this not the horn you physically press on the stalk or the middle of the steering wheel?

For ref am looking at the 1988 on diagram...

Any help?

The Flasher and Hazards are as you point out in fact Flasher and Hazard Units on the MK4/5s, the 1988 wiring diagram your looking at does indeed have the Horn Push on the end of the Indicator Stalk, it was on only the early cars which had a horn push in the middle of the steering wheel

#9 Ann-Wilson

Ann-Wilson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Hi Dave, I have been busy going through your electrical posts in the electrical section of frequently asked questions. Great stuff...
I have winced realized that the loo I am using to replace the old one (which was the 1988 diagram) is in fact a slightly different loom! I don't think it is too much of a problem...but it appears to be the loom relating to the 1985 loom in the Haynes Manuel..( the solenoid wires have a brown and blue).

Anyway, I am looking to try to incorporate some additional relays into the loom as advised. Would be really helpful if I could touch base with you over the next few days to ask any additional questions?

Kind regards,

Richard

#10 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yes mate no problems