165 replies to this topic

#31 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

So I'm pleased to say i went for a drive tonight in the wet. it was quick loud and smelly.
the smell was (i hope) just crap burning off the exhaust manifold etc as it calmed down after the run.
Noisy im guessing from the custom inlet manifold which whistles and growls at various points in the rev / load range.

spins wheels up worse than the 1380, it feels much faster as I'm guessing its got more low down grunt.

I have an issue with the clutch, which i did convert to hydraulic. it makes a noise on full pedal down. it effects the engine note. I'm thinking there is something wrong in the clutch housing. but it drives fine if a little hard to get in gear when down shifting.
5th gear on a mini is weird!
i still need to do wheel alignment but the handling is easily the best i have had in a mini. rose joints may be the reason but I'm also guessing that the reduced weight of the engine will also make a difference.

so new tyres needed for the wet. some tweaks to stuff but in essence a really good night!

Sounds like you are just pushing the clutch too far.

#32 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

when i took the clutch apart at the weekend the bearing was stuck and pushed past the springs, so yes i think i did end up making a pedal / lever that was to efficient.

Either way, took 2 days but its back on the road with a new clutch, backplate and release bearing. still with the hydraulic conversion.

I need to fiddle with it though as it now has the opposite to the cable. not efficient enough. so the bite point is right at the floor and it crunches into gears.

it might just need a little pre-tension on the puller slave cyl, like you would do on the cable setup.

#33 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Im really interested in the hydraulic clutch system.
Did you keep the original master cylinder with this slave cylinder?
Did you find it easy as in many modifications to fit?
Thanks

#34 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

Attached File  Hydraulic conversion.png   125.78K   81 downloads

I have attempted to mark up this diagram of the slave cyl to show you what i did.

I use a standard mini pedal and master cyl.

I removed the threaded bar from the rear of the slave cyl.

removed the boot and the rose joint from other end leaving just the actuator rod. then with a rubber washer just to stop it from moving i added that to the flat edge of the slave cyl which was under the boot. 

Then using the threaded bar removed from the back of the unit, cut it and extended the actuator rod.

Then with a nut bolt and some big washers, hooked it onto the arm as the cable did before.

i will attempt some pictures of the engine bay when i remember and when its daylight!

#35 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Excellent I am going to go for this if my half made system falls through
Thank you

#36 Grimshaw17

Grimshaw17

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Any videos of it driving? Really interested in this conversion now! Looks good  :shades:

#37 MiniGulf

MiniGulf

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Looks good keep up the hard work

#38 StewartB

StewartB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

what length are your driveshafts mate, needing to get mine made up and wanting some sort of reference size to go by. Great build so far, im also looking into hydraulic clutch over cable :)

#39 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

its moved on since then, sorry its a boring video. 

I did some extra work on the micra mini last night, got the speedo working which is exactly the same as sat nav calibrated! How!?

Got the gear box oil topped up and gave the clutch arm a small adjust which together means it's a lighter clutch and no crunches! 

Horn now works also.

Just need to do the suspension alignment and get a washer fluid bottle hooked up somehow and it's good to thrash!

happy days.

#40 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

i wish i had taken a measurement of the drive shafts. if you are doing as i did by sleeving them and welding you are better off just attempting yourself as i did. i had never done it before and it was piss easy as the pot joints allow loads of movement to guess the length.

at some point i will send them away to have some billet ones made up, wonder if a group purchase would be possible for anyone wanting a set?

#41 StewartB

StewartB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

i wish i had taken a measurement of the drive shafts. if you are doing as i did by sleeving them and welding you are better off just attempting yourself as i did. i had never done it before and it was piss easy as the pot joints allow loads of movement to guess the length.

at some point i will send them away to have some billet ones made up, wonder if a group purchase would be possible for anyone wanting a set?

will be easy enough, just wanted a reference point :proud:  Id possibly be tempted by billet shafts in the future depending on price obviously, cut n shuts will do for now tho!

#42 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not a boring video at all! been waiting for a HQ video of a micra engined mini for a while to see what it sounds like. Still not as cool sounding as an a-series but it had to have at least one drawback ;)

#43 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Not a boring video at all! been waiting for a HQ video of a micra engined mini for a while to see what it sounds like. Still not as cool sounding as an a-series but it had to have at least one drawback ;)

wait to your hear mine cant beat the sound of twin 40's :) cant wait nice work seems to go quite well you running the micra throttle body on your manifold? 

#44 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

mine on bike carbs sounded pretty much like a mini ( probably a bit better)

#45 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'd probably have to hear it in person, a video is never a top class indicator...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users