• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

You need a 'leakdown' test, not a compression test. A leakdown test will indicate ring condition.

It does seem as though it is piston ring/bore related. It is not difficult to break a ring, especially if the engine overheats or runs with too much ignition advance.

I am surprised you have 28 cc combustion chambers with what I think are flat-top pistons. The 28 cc chambers are for raised D-top pistons where the raised tops take up 4 cc of volume, so with flat tops the chamber volume should be c.24 cc (subject to measurement & calculation). Not that this has any bearing on the smoking.

The only real option is to remove the engine and strip the pistons out for inspection. I would bet you will find either a cracked/damaged piston, a broken ring or a badly scored bore.

Just a thought, but if the manifold has a leak it could have been running too lean and if it was retarded as well that would cause a build up of heat in the bores and thus, possibly, the damage.

#32 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the reply I shall have to see what happens tomorrow, it's not really looking good. At least I have my brothers mini to drive while I sort this out.

#33 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just got back from the garage and the compression test result are as follows
Cyl1: 140
2: 150
3: 40
4: 35 I think it was in psi

Also looking at piston 3 and 4 there appears to be oil on the top of the pistons, the garage said the next step is to take the head off, but I think I shall wait and try to get it to Combe. Garage thinks it may be the piston rings, head gasket or maybe valve guids, he couldn't be sure unless the head gets taken off.

#34 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

Oh and his leek down tester broke so couldn't do that test.

#35 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Local Club: MiniFreakz, Brighton Mini Club

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

not good... to be honest I wouldnt be driving it like that :-(

#36 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Very low on 3 & 4, i personally wouldn't drive is without knowing what it is as your risking more damage if its more than just a head gasket or valve guide.

Head gasket could have gone between the two cylinders with them compression results. It only takes around 3 hours to change a head gasket.

Have you done a wet compression test? two squirts of oil down the bore you are testing to see if its the rings.

#37 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Very low on 3 & 4, i personally wouldn't drive is without knowing what it is as your risking more damage if its more than just a head gasket or valve guide.

Head gasket could have gone between the two cylinders with them compression results. It only takes around 3 hours to change a head gasket.

Have you done a wet compression test? two squirts of oil down the bore you are testing to see if its the rings.

Will have a look at how to do a head gasket change, and no didn't do a wet compression test.

#38 klivins

klivins

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Local Club: minimania.lv

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

It clearly isnt healthy enough to drive somewhere. may be limp home mode only. Something was bad from the start if the smoke was present, I would go back to the seller.

#39 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

With those compressions and the smoking I would not even drive it to the local shops.

If, for example, it is a cracked piston, it could easily break up and the pieces drop into the gearbox with the con-rod seriously damaging the bore and possibly the camshaft as well.

Head off before driving it again, the probably engine out and strip for inspection & repair.

#40 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

It clearly isnt healthy enough to drive somewhere. may be limp home mode only. Something was bad from the start if the smoke was present, I would go back to the seller.

I'm not sure what the seller could do.

#41 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

With those compressions and the smoking I would not even drive it to the local shops.
If, for example, it is a cracked piston, it could easily break up and the pieces drop into the gearbox with the con-rod seriously damaging the bore and possibly the camshaft as well.
Head off before driving it again, the probably engine out and strip for inspection & repair.

I'm going to take the head of and go from there.

#42 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Also there wasn't that much smoke when it first started up just a bit from the tappet breather, I just presumed that was normal as the rocker cover that came with the engine had breather points.

#43 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

It could well just be a head gasket, but that won't be known until the head is removed for inspection. The fact that the compressions are down on two adjacent cylinders points to HG.

It really is pointless speculating and only inspection will give the correct answer. It really is VOR until the head is off and the problem resolved.

#44 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Also it's a bit annoying, only just out it in, at least it's still fresh in my mind. The problem is as I'm off to uni I won't have much time to fix it.

#45 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

It could well just be a head gasket, but that won't be known until the head is removed for inspection. The fact that the compressions are down on two adjacent cylinders points to HG.
It really is pointless speculating and only inspection will give the correct answer. It really is VOR until the head is off and the problem resolved.

Will take it off later I'm just reading up in the Haynes manuel on how to do it.

Edited by BronkoMini, 24 September 2014 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users