#1 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Local Club: 42nd Street (back in day)

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi all,I need to wire in 3 dials,to my mini 91. I have a clock,oil pressure(capillary) and volt dials.I need info or any links, on the lighting side,to work off my light switch I guess?
Also the actual wiring diagrams to get the dials working.Thanks all in advance,I hate wiring,only cus I am not very good at understanding it.

#2 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

For the gauge lights I would splice into the same +12v and 0v that feed the lights for your current gauges (speedo/tacho/fuel) whichever is easiest this way they will already suitably fused and will work correctly.

For the clock to work you need a permanent +12v i.e. one not switched by the ignition switch. Without looking im not sure where to find this other than, direct from the battery (not ideal as it's in the boot), from the starter solinoid, or the back of the ignition switch, There is probably a more suitable one but at this time in the morning I haven't got my thinking cap on. If you have a Haynes manual have a look at the wiring diagrams you should be able to find one. If you do need use one of the suggested above then you will need a small inline fuse in the +12 before the clock.

The +12v signal for the volt meter should be taken from the switched side of the ignition, the best place to take this from would be the fuse box (ease of access) you can take it from the fused or unfused side but if taken from the unfused side install a small inline fuse as before. The trouble with taking from the fused side is that the fuse may be too big to protect the wiring of the meter.

That should point you in the right direction, any other questions just shout up

#3 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the help.If I splice into the wires, how do you suggest I do this, so its safe and also neat.
So use the main wire loom plug that goes into the 3 clock speedo to supply the lighting of the dials.Cheers Olly

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Not every one likes them but Scotchloks are easiest for splicing. But really you should use bullet conectors as the original will have (assuming the car has these). For connections to gauges and fuse box use the appropriate spade or ring terminals. Keep the extra wiring used to the same colour scheme.

#5 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

Regards the wiring colour, i have not seen anywhere you can purchase identical colours, with tracers,in small quantities, as usually its all plain red, black, blue etc.

#6 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about keeping the wires the same colour, in an ideal world you would, but like you say it's not economical to get the proper wire for small jobs like this.

My choice for splicing would be to cut the wire in the loom, strip both ends, strip the end of your new wire and solder the 3 together, with heat shrink over the joint to finish it off

#7 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Will take a look and report back if i have any problems working out what wires to splice,to supply power/lighting for the dials,Cheers

#8 Rog46

Rog46

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

If you have a (Haynes) manual make a note of any non-standard wiring and fix it into the manual. It may save you lots of time in the future. If you pass the manual with the car it may help a future owner. If you don't have a manual, get one, it will definitely help in the future!

#9 hallett

hallett

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Try 12 volt planet for the wire, they do lots of different cable with all the colours and tracers you could want and you buy it by the metre, that's where I get my cable from, it's much better and easier in the future if you keep it colour co-ordinated

Daniel

#10 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Always find these useful....

http://www.caigauge.com/qal.html

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Use the WHITE wires on the fusebox for the clock, use a piggyback spade connectoron the new wire, attached to the terminal where the white wire is

Here is the piggy back connectors http://www.ebay.co.u...=item565478776e

And non piggyback style terminals (for splicing wires)
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e90e15367

#12 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

I much prefer the non-insulated terminals, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c7e6efa7b

, with the plastic boot.  I've never really liked the blue/red/yellow things, and they always look horrible once crimped.

Wire with trace colours isn't that expensive.  2m for £1.49 with a large range of options, probably cheaper than Halfords, and they're delivery is quick.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6671e3c0

#13 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Cheers for all the advice,the more i look at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes,i am slowly starting to understand wiring a little bit better.

I to am not a fan of the coloured terminals,hence i have stripped every coloured insulation off my already tub of connectors,and got myself some brass spade terminals with covers.

I have the lighting wiring tested out now, just to sort the feeds to the individual dials. I am missing 1 bulb holder tho,with wires,need to find another.Where tho?

Any ideas where i can earth all these lighting dials too? 

Thanks in advance,great help.Olly

#14 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Minispares for a lamp holder maybe?

Hook up the earth to the existing dial lighting earth? Failing that a solid connection to the car body will do the job

#15 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Ok done most of the wiring, just need to put inline fuse before the analogue clock and i guess one before the voltmeter. Anyone advise what rated glass fuse i should use for the above, please?
Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users