Photo
- - - - -

Got Myself A Centre Speedo. Need A Bit Of Help.

electrical

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayBox

JayBox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Local Club: Mendip Minis

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

I picked up an awesome centre speedo from Castle Combe and I'm looking to wire it up. So I've been using the following DIY loom guide:

http://www.theminifo...-centre-speedo/

And it's led me to a few questions.

Is there a layout based wiring diagram? I'm not an electrician by any means and I'm still fairly new to everything mini, so any help would be appreciated.

Firstly, where can I get hold of the bulbs & bulb holders (similar to the ones in that guide above)? I suspect I need 7 (see my attached image below to see where they'd go).

Secondly, how would I adjust the mileage to match my current speedo? My centre speedo is at 77k and my current one is about 45k.

Lastly, this is exciting... :)

Thanks!

Jay

Attached Files

Edited by JayBox, 07 October 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#2 JayBox

JayBox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

Any tips on this at all? :(

#3 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

there is a way of opening up the speedo and adjust manually, but its pretty delicate.

I replaced mine but the milage was 30k less on the centre speedo. i kept a record of milages in case i sell the car (which i will never do)

for the bulb holders - http://www.minispare...ch/classic/bulb holder.aspx|Back to search

Get in touch with Jupitus, he makes up the conversion looms, and seems to use bulb holders that fit the centre clocks

Edited by finch661, 08 October 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#4 JayBox

JayBox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

there is a way of opening up the speedo and adjust manually, but its pretty delicate.

I replaced mine but the milage was 30k less on the centre speedo. i kept a record of milages in case i sell the car (which i will never do)

for the bulb holders - http://www.minispare...ch/classic/bulb holder.aspx|Back to search

Get in touch with Jupitus, he makes up the conversion looms, and seems to use bulb holders that fit the centre clocks

Cheers, mate. I found them but they didn't look like the ones on the guide I mentioned above so I was going purely on them not looking quite right.

I have to get 7 of these things?! Jesus. :P £35 on bulbs & bulb holders...Thank God I picked up the speedo itself for £20!

I'm going to make the loom from scratch using the guide, but how much are Jupitus' looms usually?

Thanks!

#5 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

cant remember how much i paid! remember to get a votlage regulator for the fuel gauge and temp gauge (if using). You can buy a modern one (maplin) or buy an original style one.

have a look on ebay for the bulb holders, should be able to get somethign quite cheap. i was lucky, my centre speedo had all the bulb holders still in place

Edited by finch661, 08 October 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#6 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Adjusting the milage takes 5minutes. There is a topic on how to do the conversion on hete somwhere

#7 JayBox

JayBox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

Adjusting the milage takes 5minutes. There is a topic on how to do the conversion on hete somwhere

Cheers, I'll have another look. I couldn't find it during a quick search the other day.

cant remember how much i paid! remember to get a votlage regulator for the fuel gauge and temp gauge (if using). You can buy a modern one (maplin) or buy an original style one.

have a look on ebay for the bulb holders, should be able to get somethign quite cheap. i was lucky, my centre speedo had all the bulb holders still in place

It does have one (top left on the left picture I attached), but it's pretty old so I might get a new one to replace it just incase.

I found some bulb holders on eBay but someone was selling them for £5 each and he only had 5. I need 7 because mine includes the indicator bulbs.

Thanks for the help though.

#8 Steve-O 2014

Steve-O 2014

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

are you good with a soldering iron? If so just use your stock bulb holders and solder wires to them and get some rubber washers and superglue them to the back of the clock. then just push the bulbs in, simple and cheap 

#9 JayBox

JayBox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

are you good with a soldering iron? If so just use your stock bulb holders and solder wires to them and get some rubber washers and superglue them to the back of the clock. then just push the bulbs in, simple and cheap 

I've used one before. But that was quite a while back. I'll find out if any of my mates have one first. But robbing them from the current clocks is a good shout.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users