Photo
- - - - -

Maniflow Freeflow Exhaust Advantages/disadvantages?

engine

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 The Joker

The Joker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hi there! Sorry for the random questions!

I've been thinking of getting a maniflow freeflow exhaust on my 998cc, just wanted to know if there are any main advantages/disadvantages? http://www.minisport...w-manifold.html

From what I've heard so far it gives a better power output at lower revs and it seems to have a deeper tone.

Does this make the exhaust any quieter, as I like the volume it's at right now :D Also I'd prefer if it had a 'throaty' crackle/pop to it any idea how to add this?

In addition to this is there anything I should look out for when adding this? Would it possibly put the engine under more strain or?

Can the manifold be fitted with the engine in situ? I read somewhere on the forum that this is possible but the carb assembly needs to be removed?

(Currently got a centre exit exhaust and a K&N air filter)

Thanks! :)

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hi..are you just fitting the exhaust as this will make no differance to power output other than make it sound faster.......you could fit a new cam in your engine once the rad is removed and cut one of the slats in inner wing to allow the removal of old cam once tappet chest have been removed and tappets pushrods and head.......of course.....

#3 The Joker

The Joker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Aah I see thanks for the suggestion! But I think that's a bit too much for more power for me at the moment :) Sounds like a good upgrade though? 

#4 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

The popping you get from an exhaust is usually either the exhaust has a leak somewhere or there's in burnt fuel getting into the hot exhaust. Neither is good for fuel economy on a road car but is acceptable for race cars.

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

What manifold do you have now should have been the first question. If you are running the standard one then you will also need a different inlet manifold and you would be better buying a stage one kit. This will give a nice sound and a noticeable increase in power when it has been set up correctly. If you already have an LCB or similar then you won't notice much difference at all.

#6 The Joker

The Joker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Ah I see :P Sorry for my stupidity aha and I think I have the standard manifold at the moment which looks like an LCB.

Which Inlet manifold will I need if I was to go for the freeflow?

Attached Files

#7 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

That doesn't look like a standard 998 manifold? They normally look like this, with the inlet and exhaust cast together:

http://www.minimania...es/stockman.jpg

Your inlet manifold would depend on what carb you have... If you have an SU carb, chances are you'll need one like this.

http://www.minispare...t/C-AHT770.aspx

The Stage One Kits available from most mini shops are good, because they have the right manifolds, exhaust, air filter and carb needle that are a good match for each other to get a decent power gain. If you are using bits and pieces from different shops you might not see as good a gain...

http://www.minispare...ts/C-STN17.aspx

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

As said above, that isn't sandard so changing won't make much difference at all unless it's one of the horrible cheapy ones they sell for £20 at shows. Some pics of it coming out from the engine bay under the car and the inlet manifold would help identify it.

#9 mattyglover16

mattyglover16

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi..are you just fitting the exhaust as this will make no differance to power output other than make it sound faster.......you could fit a new cam in your engine once the rad is removed and cut one of the slats in inner wing to allow the removal of old cam once tappet chest have been removed and tappets pushrods and head.......of course.....

I'm thinking about changing my cam but don't fancy taking the whole block out can you change it without taking it out then ?

#10 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

If you're going to change the cam, take the engine out. It is far easier to do and you will learn a lot.

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

And you can even paint it red wich gives another 5 bhp ;)

But get the engine out, it's almost impossible to isntal the cam the right way when it is your first time witht he engien in the car.

Also, taking an engine out isn't hard at all if you have an engine crane ( can be hired too)

cheers

#12 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'm thinking about changing my cam but don't fancy taking the whole block out can you change it without taking it out then ?

you can only do the engine in bay cam change if you have tappet chest covers...............all other engines need to be removes and stripped down...............

#13 The Joker

The Joker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

Aaah I see! Thanks Timmy850 and guys :) I already have a centre exit exhaust and a cone air filter and the right carb needle, so I think I would be ok with just the manifold? Will this make much of a difference? :)

Thanks, quite interesting to hear about the cam change too :)

#14 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Aaah I see! Thanks Timmy850 and guys :) I already have a centre exit exhaust and a cone air filter and the right carb needle, so I think I would be ok with just the manifold? Will this make much of a difference? :)

Thanks, quite interesting to hear about the cam change too :)

depending on what manifold you have you'll gain between -20 and 20 % ( a too large exhaust etc will lose you bhp)

an excellent road cam is kent 266, mg metro, depending on what you want :)

#15 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

Your current exhaust looks to be the same type as a cooper Freeflow one, so you might not get much improvement replacing it, unless your current one is no good. You look to have an alloy inlet manifold, it would help to see a photo of it and the carb to see what you have now...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users