Photo
- - - - -

Electrical Issue - Alternator Not Working?

electrical

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Macast

Macast

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi all. I have a 1989 Mini City E and I had a radio fitted a couple of years ago. I've noticed some mornings that the radio just doesn't play, as it says it's "offset" which after reading the instructions for it just means it is a general problem that it cannot output music to the speakers. Thought nothing of it, thought it was the radio.

I noticed over time that when I drove to college every morning, the radio wouldn't play, but every time I drove back from college it did. I started to think that this is because the alternator is not charging the battery quick enough. I've noticed sometimes that if I leave the radio on "playing" music from the radio's end, but nothing coming through the speakers, that after driving for a while, the music comes on in one speaker, then comes in on the other one.

Then, last week, I started the car up and turned my lights on to check they work as I'd need them on the way back... except they didn't come on. No dash lights, one headlight, no rear lights, no number plate light, nothing. I thought it was the switch but it didn't feel like the switch was not quite clicking. I tried my radio too and that didn't play anything. Either way, on the way home, it was starting to get dark, so I tried my lights again, and still nothing. I get my ignition and oil warning light come on, but that's it. Anyway, half way driving home and with the switch still clicked on, my lights just came on out of nowhere.

I'm no mechanic, but surely this has to be the alternator not charging the battery properly? It's like the issue with my radio is exactly the same with the headlights. I'm guessing that after a while the alternator charges the battery enough to power these electrics. I also presume that if the alternator is the problem, an uprated one would be better, as the radio is another additional electric component which wasn't fitted as standard, which would drain the battery quicker.

One such as this from Minispares?

Thanks!

Matt.

#2 mr cooke

mr cooke

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: Any

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

is the battery ever flat , as it will not start the car

#3 Macast

Macast

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

In the 3 years I've had it, it's only not started once, and that was because the battery had died. This was then replaced with a brand new battery.

#4 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Before you try anything else check what the alternator is actually charging at. It may be something silly like a loose wire when the alternator is fine.
If you have a multimeter you can check, if not halfords or any garage can test it for you.

#5 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

If your anywhere near salisbury, I can bench test alternators.

Ac

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

I would be doing a total wiring checkover on the lights and accessory circuits including the earth connections, and the checks for the alternator is in the electrical section of the FAQs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users