49 replies to this topic

#1 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Evening all. This morning i was driving to work and i had a little accident. Not sure what happened but i felt the mini pull left suddenly, i tried to correct and the wet road cause the mini to spin into the bank on the rhs of the road. Nose hit the bank and the mini flipped. I woke up upside down.

First thing was first, engine switched off and managed to punch through the drivers window and crawl out.

Lots of blood coming from my head but i was walking around. Had a very sore neck so paramedics strapped me to a stretcher and carted me off. X rays and scans later revealed the my neck was fine structurally, just cannot move it. Suspected broken ribs and a bruised coxycs, and a small cut on the top of my head.

Wife went to check the car out at the garage it got taken to, its a complete write off i think. The mechanics there were 100% sure it was a fatality and apparently jaws dropped when she told them i was fine.

Just shows how sturdy a little mini actually is, although if there had been a passenger or the car had flipped the other way i think i would definately be a goner.

So now starts the insurance polava, it is insured at a value of 2.5k, wonder what the likelyhood is of me seeing that amount is! So once that is sorted then im looking for another mini. If anyone knows somewhere/someone near warminster that is looking to sell then please let me know.

Hopefully i can salvage thinga like the engine etc from the wreck and get something for the bits. Any thoughts?

Thank you all, and i am definately counting my lucky stars that i got to see my 3 week old daughter again today.

Phil

Oh by the way, pictures will be put up just so you can all see the effects of a mini rolling at about 35-40mph.

#2 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Crikey. Glad you are okay (ish). Do you think something failed? Sounds scary.

#3 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Glad you are OK, tougher than they look really. I bet you will have a sore head tomorrow though! Get trawling ebay for a new car while you recover :-)

#4 Samo

Samo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thats Mad.

Glad youre ok. 

Wonder what caused it. 

#5 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Cheers lads.

Wife said it looked like the front lhs tyre had blown, not sure if that is just a result of the crash though.

Already trawling through ebay from my hospital bed, fingers crossed i find something decent, nothing will ever beat monty though, i still have trying something different in the back of my head though. Always fancied a 2cv, any ideas on other old classics i can find for about 2.5k?

#6 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Your Mini did well in protecting you!!!

Hopefully you'lll be back on the road soon.

Cheers, Steve.

#7 Samo

Samo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Cheers lads.

Wife said it looked like the front lhs tyre had blown, not sure if that is just a result of the crash though.

Already trawling through ebay from my hospital bed, fingers crossed i find something decent, nothing will ever beat monty though, i still have trying something different in the back of my head though. Always fancied a 2cv, any ideas on other old classics i can find for about 2.5k?

My next classic will be an MGB. Looked at those?

You will be able to pick up a pretty good nick one for £2.5 

#8 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

My brother has an mgb gt, i do like them but i can have two of those in the family. I like the mini ethos, like that of the 2cv, or fiat 500, cars for the people etc. But if anyone has other suggestions fire away, as im just not sure if any mini i now get will live up to the high standard monty set before he tried to turn into chitty chitty bang bang

#9 Deev

Deev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Monty just basically saved your life, and you're considering replacing him with a 2CV that would likely dissolve in a stiff breeze?

#10 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

Glad you are OK, stick with a good old mini, think of the knowledge and probably the spares you have for them.

#11 Samo

Samo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

Stick with a mini, I thought the same as you when My MR2 turbo was written off a few years ago, always regret not getting another, or trying to repair it. 

#12 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

Im pretty set on a mini, just need to try and find a good one that is completely different to monty.

First thing i did was burst into tears, not because i was hurting or in shock but because my pride and joy was in tatters

#13 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

Mk1 Cooper S it is then ;)

Glad you're ok mate, they really are solid little cars. Are you going to buy it him back if it he gets written off?

#14 Mk1Dave

Mk1Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

At least you're ok. 2cv's are awesome. I'd have another one.

#15 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

Austin A30/35, Austin A40 , Austin or Morris 1100/1300, Riley 1.5 etc all have the DNA and a racing pedigree :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users