75 replies to this topic

#16 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

Thats was my thought if the cam timing was out it would affect all of the cylinders but it is only two of the cylinders, the compression of 1 and 4 are in the expected range at about 120.

I used feeler gauges to set the clearance, checking when setting and after tightening then once again just before re-fitting the rocker cover. Yes but you can physically see the rocket opening the inlet when the exhaust should be opening and vice versa on cylinder 2 and 3, you can see the push rods pushing up in the wrong order which as far as i am aware can't be explained other then by the cam and the head not matching up as we also had a piece of wire which allowed us to see how the piston was working in comparison the the valves and rocker.

#17 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Remember that the valves on a mini are arranged like this :

EX-in-in-ex-ex-in-in-ex

To the OP you've read this ?

#18 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

OP? if thats me yes I knew this prior to the post hence why i knew it was pulling in exhaust and out inlet.... and the mechanic also knows that. I have also read this.

#19 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Unless someone has made and fitted a cam with the inlet and exhaust lobes in the wrong place, I can't see how this is happening?

#20 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Cal ask your Mini mechanic if he thinks there is a chance the cam lobes have slipped on those 2 cylinders

#21 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

Ok thank you both gazza82 and KernowCooper I will ask him when i see him tonight to see what he thinks! I will come back with the findings!

#22 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

Hi I know you have poor compression . but are you absolutely sure you got the firing order right 1342 anti clockwise?

#23 chrisdev1981

chrisdev1981

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Warped Head?

#24 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

We need to dispel any thoughts of the cam having the lobes in the wrong place, and investigate why the compression is low on 2 clyinders next to each other, if the gasket is gone or the head cracked then you would get a certain amount of interconnecting induction and exhaust pulses.

#25 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

Yes I am absolutely sure because I had to correct the firing order after a mate who had no clue what he was doing decided to mess about while I was busy working on other bits.
Why do we need to dispel any thoughts of an issue with the cam... As the cam is rotating you can see the push rods pushing the valves to open at the wrong time in comparison to the piston so I do not understand how a crack or a head gasket issue would cause this problem. Obviously that could be another problem down the line but I doubt it's the gasket, the old one appeared in working order but the new one has been in 2 days and the engine hasn't worked in order to destroy it.

#26 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yes I am absolutely sure because I had to correct the firing order after a mate who had no clue what he was doing decided to mess about while I was busy working on other bits.
Why do we need to dispel any thoughts of an issue with the cam... As the cam is rotating you can see the push rods pushing the valves to open at the wrong time in comparison to the piston so I do not understand how a crack or a head gasket issue would cause this problem. Obviously that could be another problem down the line but I doubt it's the gasket, the old one appeared in working order but the new one has been in 2 days and the engine hasn't worked in order to destroy it.

So the valves on 1 and 4 open as they should, but not 2 and 3 ?

#27 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

Maybe you could video the valves opening and closing for us?

#28 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

Don't want to sound patronising, but you are counting from 1 at the water pump end .. ???

#29 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

sound patronising i do not want

BUT

turning the engine the right way you are?

Go now i will.

#30 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,970 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Why do we need to dispel any thoughts of an issue with the cam...

tell me where you can get a cam that would fit an A series but not work with an A series head?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users