Photo
- - - - -

Properly Connect Water Heated Inlet Manifold Stage 1 From Minispare?

engine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mienda

Mienda

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi !
I'd like to know where to connect the hoses number 9 and 10 on the attached file .
Is the inlet manifold need realy to be water heated ?
Every time I saw the mini spare stage 1 kit install the inlet manifold water hose were not plugged.
Do you have pict of a proper installation on the cooling system?
Did you notice any differences?

My 1990 mini 1000special with stage 1 and hs 4 carb works very well but maybe it could be better specially in winter?

Attached Files

#2 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

The manifold doesn't have to be water heated, it can be blanked off...

The heated manifolds was originally introduced for the colder countried that the Minis/Metro's was exported to, so it could help with the carb to stop from freezing up...

In this country, that rarely happens...

#3 Mienda

Mienda

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Ok,
So I leave like that.

thank's you Very much !

#4 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

It's true that it's not absolutely neccesary to connect it up, but it I believe that it does more than just prevent carb icing. My understanding is that it heats the inlet to aid fuel atomisation and prevent fuel condensing on the inner inlet walls during cold conditions as well. The standard cast iron inlet is already heated by way of it bring joined:integral to the exhaust manifold, however as the alloy flowed versions are separate to the exhaust manifolds, they take much longer to heat up.

I have two 1275 minis both with similar stage 1 set ups, but one has the heated inlet plumbed in and one does not. The one with the heated inlet is noticeably smoother on startup over the winter months, but in warmer conditions there is no discernible difference between the two. Therefore having run both, my advice would be to plumb the heated inlet in if your mini is a year round daily drive, but not to bother if it's just a fair weather weekend toy.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Ditto,

The easiest option is to cut one of your heater hoses and connect it back together using the manifold. Just be aware Minis with the heater valve on the head used 1/2 inch bore pipe; the later ones with the plastic valve in the hose are 5/8ths bore.

I've no idea what size the pipes on your manifold are, the MG Metro version was 5/8ths.

#6 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

I can't see a heated inlet manifold helping performance, IMO it would hinder performance. :shy:

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Colder air is mores dense, so yes being able to cram more into the cylinder would be good for performance. But, air isn't a good conductor , so if you've got the throttle wide open not much of the air will pick up any heat as it rushes through the manifold. When the throttle is less than wide open you're trying to restrict the amount of air going in to the engine anyway. Also, more air squeezes past the throttle plate at the top and bottom, which are typically the areas where the heater pipe is placed. 

As Dave said, there'll be far more effect on any fuel that has condensed on the cold metal of the manifold an is pooling or running along it, instead of being carried in small, combustible) droplets in the air.

#8 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

I can't see a heated inlet manifold helping performance, IMO it would hinder performance. :shy:

Common understanding would agree - keep heat out of the intake track at all costs. However...

Have a read of Vizards writings on the matter. One point he makes is that even without the water heating, on a hot day the intake will pick up heat from the air and exhaust raising it's temperature to similar levels anyway. So by plumbing it in you gain the benefits of better winter/cold performance with no/tiny affect on hot/summer performance.

I have ours plumbed in but part of that was because it provided a neat solutions to getting water out of the head and over the other side of the engine bay :lol:

Obligatory engine shot....

Ba2oIGR.jpg?1

#9 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

Common understanding would agree - keep heat out of the intake track at all costs. However...

Have a read of Vizards writings on the matter. One point he makes is that even without the water heating, on a hot day the intake will pick up heat from the air and exhaust raising it's temperature to similar levels anyway. So by plumbing it in you gain the benefits of better winter/cold performance with no/tiny affect on hot/summer performance.

I have ours plumbed in but part of that was because it provided a neat solutions to getting water out of the head and over the other side of the engine bay :lol:

Obligatory engine shot....

Ba2oIGR.jpg?1

Sprintex? You posh sod!  ;D It looks neat, I'll give you that. :highfive:

Edited by Anthony30, 06 February 2016 - 06:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users