27 replies to this topic

#1 NoonanN92

NoonanN92

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

Hi, Just picked up my 1992 mini city today. 

Test drove it yesterday and it drove fine for about half an hour and all seemed fine. Settled on a price. 

Picked it up today and the same for about half an hour on the way home. It coughed and died. I presumed it had run out of petrol (do read on, I promise I'm not a moron) and I hadn't made it to the petrol station en route. Luckily it was then within 5 mins walk and I went and picked some up and dropped it in the mini. It refused to start initially.

After many many many attempts it would flicker to life and then die. Then started, then I made it about 100 meters and it died again.

I left it for ten mins - no oil, water or petrol visibly leaking. levels good. Temperature seemed fine.

I tried again and it managed to get itself running so I got going again. Made it about a mile before it died again. 

And the cycle continued until I made it home. Putting it into third made it die. From then on I kept to first and second (yes, it was loud).

It seemed to last longer the closer I got to home but this could have been because if sticking to 1st & 2nd.

When on the drive I let it idle to see how long it would last. About 2 mins.

I assume it might have drawn the dregs through the fuel lines to the carb and blocked it. But then would it still fire afterwards???

Should I strip + clean the carb. Fit an inline fuel filter somewhere? Or have I completely misdiagnosed the problem?
I haven't run it since just in case it's the above.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP???

(Other than that it was a perfect sunny day in my new mini)

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

I would say it's pulled rubbish through the pipe. Clamp the petrol pipe coming out of the tank unless you want to drain it, take it off at the fuel pump end, then blow it out towards the tank. take off the float bowl lid and check if there is any rubbish in there.

#3 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

sounds like it has dragged some crap into the carb.. remove float chamber cover and clean float bowl and float shut off valve first

#4 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

If it was me, I would pull the fuel pipe off the carb and point it into a container, crank the engine and see if fuel pumps out. If so then you know the pump and line is ok. Then check/clean the float bowl and blow through the jets.
Reconnect and try to start. If it doesn't then its not fuel starvation

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

just a quick check -

take the fuel filler cap off (only if tank less than half full - & not raining)

see if it drives ok

if it is ok , you may have fuel tank vent blocked

and +1 all the above

also get a fuel filter

a good place to check for blockage is behind the brass float valve on the inlet side of the float chamber -

only takes a speck of dirt to restrict the flow

Edited by sledgehammer, 11 February 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#6 NoonanN92

NoonanN92

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hi, guys thanks for the above. I had a brief look today and realised that there is in fact an in-line fuel filter (don't know how I missed it) and there is no debris in it.
Also started her up again today and she ran ok when rich for about 5-10 mins. Died when I put the choke in and then reluctant to start again.

Is it still likely to be debris in the carb given it ran well yesterday and since there is a filter?? 
Not had time to clean the carb yet but will have more time this weekend. is it still the likely cause of my cutting out though?? 

(also tried the filler cap off and made no difference but a handy tip I wouldn't of thought of)

Edited by NoonanN92, 12 February 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#7 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

i would still suspect crap to be the cause of the problem.. what carb is it running?

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

If you've just bought it, I take it you haven't put any juice in? Could be old petrol, but it could be many things. The methodical think would be to give the ignition the once over first.

#9 hefner426

hefner426

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hey folks. I'm new here and hope you don't mind me piggybacking this post but I am actually having the exact same issue. Mine is a 1984 mini 25. It has been giving me hell since I bought it. Previous owner let it sit 3 or more years.

#10 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Have you done any of the things the OP was advised to do?

#11 NoonanN92

NoonanN92

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply to this, have been busy - life.
I checked the ignition over as requested and all seems regular so moved onto the carb.
Removed and cleaned the float bowl and immediate components and put it back - Ran much better for 15 mins then died. Then took the whole carb off.
I have since taken it to pieces to rebuild and it's got more sediment inside the float, jets etcetera. Giving it all a good clean as it looks like it's been a while since it's had this treatment.
Also the needle was slightly bent so I have ordered a replacement along with a rebuild kit.
Choke sticking slightly as well.
Hoping all this all does the trick.
Thanks again for all the advice and will let you know if this solves the problem.
(While waiting for parts replaced oil, coolant, air and oil filter - both fluids rather grim)

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,490 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply to this, have been busy - life.
I checked the ignition over as requested and all seems regular so moved onto the carb.
Removed and cleaned the float bowl and immediate components and put it back - Ran much better for 15 mins then died. Then took the whole carb off.
I have since taken it to pieces to rebuild and it's got more sediment inside the float, jets etcetera. Giving it all a good clean as it looks like it's been a while since it's had this treatment.
Also the needle was slightly bent so I have ordered a replacement along with a rebuild kit.
Choke sticking slightly as well.
Hoping all this all does the trick.
Thanks again for all the advice and will let you know if this solves the problem.
(While waiting for parts replaced oil, coolant, air and oil filter - both fluids rather grim)

Sounds like you are being methodical in your approach!

I'd lift each corner of the car and inspect/ clean the brakes

Also you did use 20/50 mineral oil???

#13 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

wonder if it is dirt stopping the pump valve seating ?

or just a worn pump

what is the flow like from the pump ?

when in 1st & 2nd gear , the pump would be working hard & fill the float bowl , when in 3rd , engine / pump revving less so maybe starvation ? 

#14 NoonanN92

NoonanN92

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

Carb now fully cleaned and rebuilt with new needle, fuel jet line, gaskets etcetera........
New spark plugs also.

Runs just as before. Ok for moments and then cuts out and struggles....

Fuel pump then?

#15 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Condensor/coil?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users