21 replies to this topic

#16 jameseddolls

jameseddolls

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Turn the adjuster dial back to soften the firmness.

I loosened the dial all the way so it extended as far as it went and then tighted it up. Would I have to loosen it and then push the shock back up to where it was?

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

I loosened the dial all the way so it extended as far as it went and then tighted it up. Would I have to loosen it and then push the shock back up to where it was?

NO.

the shocks have nothing to do with it.

the ride height will be the same with shocks fitted or removed.

it is your suspension you must look at.

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

All the dampers (shock absorbers) do is to damp out the springiness of the suspension spring. They have absolutely no effect on the ride height of the car.

The stiffness of the damping controls the way the wheels stay in contact with the ground, so on very smooth surfaces they can be set harder than when being used on bumpy roads.  Adjustable dampers allow the road-holding to be optimised for different road surfaces.

The ride height is controlled by the spring height unless adjustable suspension (Hi-Lo's) is fitted.

To reset the damping after having it very stiff (say for a race track) is done by backing off the adjuster screws and then re-tightening them to the previous settings, or by using trial & error. Of course, it helps if when hardening the damping you actually count the number of 'clicks' you increase by, then you simply back off that number of clicks.

#19 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Thats not how it works

Edited by THE ANORAK, 11 April 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#20 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

Imagine that dial as the brownness setting on a toaster. Turn one way, light toast, turn the other, dark toast. On the damper turn one way, soft damper, turn the other way, hard damper

Edited by THE ANORAK, 11 April 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#21 jameseddolls

jameseddolls

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Imagine that dial as the brownness setting on a toaster. Turn one way, light toast, turn the other, dark toast. On the damper turn one way, soft damper, turn the other way, hard damper

yeah ok I get it. But im just saying to reset the shocks back to the way they were, then this is a starting point to getting it back to the way it was.

#22 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

yeah ok I get it. But im just saying to reset the shocks back to the way they were, then this is a starting point to getting it back to the way it was.

You really need to help us, help you. 

As a start, when you turn the dial on the shocks, you will feel "clicks" or steps. Count how many there is and as a start set them all at the halfway point. 

Now it is time to, look at why the car sits low. A key question which several others have also asked - Do you have Hilos fitted?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users