#1 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

Pleased to introduce my new project which I acquired yesterday. The idea is to get it back to good running condition.

It looks pretty good to me but has been standing in the rain a long time. There are tiny rust blisters under the headlights and the rear sub-frame looks iffy. Surface rust under the sills but no holes I can find. Boot floor all sound.

I know the car's full history as this car has been in my family all its life. I believe it hasn't been messed about with other than a walnut dash. It was jump-started recently and has has only 25k miles on the clock.

First job is a service and  any work to get it through the MOT.

Cosmetically it needs a new grille, a dent in the boot cover sorted,  and I really never liked those wheel covers!

Maybe one day I might change the colour because I'm not wild about that metallic version of BRG.

Any comments, suggestions or encouragement will be appreciated!

9c92f4b7-b665-476a-bf86-a93051dd2dcc_zps

Edited by Richard_, 23 November 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#2 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

Looks great!  As its so original and you've known the history since new, I'd be tempted to keep it completely original.  Love it.

#3 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

Thats a beauty!Your just up the road from me and i see its suffolk registered.If it were mine id keep it just like that.Enjoy

#4 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: 3 Custardeers Mini Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

As psmini says it would be lovely to keep it original...perhaps you could store the wheel trims and put some nice alloys on. I may be a bit biased on originality though, l passed my driving test in a Racing in 1989 :)

(Ps. The 1989 limited edition was called 'Racing' and the red version was 'Flame'... the 1990 limited edition was joined by a black car, the'Checkmate' and the red and green ones became 'Flame Red' and 'Racing Green' repectively, and came with alloys instead of the wheeeltrims)

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

Other than the wheels is there any way to tell a 1989 version from a 1990? I'm not sure which one mine is.......

#6 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

As far as l know the wheels and name were the only difference... but someone even more nerdy about limited editions will likely come along and correct me!

I looked your reg up on the DVLA website and it was registered on 17th April 1989, therefore is a 'Racing'

#7 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

Some photos and info here...   :D

https://www.facebook...74829816&type=3

#8 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

Nice to see such an unmolested one, don't change the colour you will loose it's identity and I fear degrease it's value. If you do put alloys on it keep the steels and covers as they are getting harder to source. My feeling is the limited editions need preserving now. Great car - enjoy! 

#9 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

I have a racing green 89 and it came with walnut dash 3 clock, minilites and the cooper trimmed seats and door cards of the era as standard. Basically a slow cooper lol

#10 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

The 1989 Racing and Flame models can be distinguished from the 1990 Racing Green and Flame Red models as follows:

- 'Nimbus grey' wheelarch extensions/sill trim/gutter trim (1989) rather than black (1990)

- white plastic wheel trims (1989) as opposed to alloys (1990)

- 'Nimbus grey' pressed steel grille (1989) as opposed to black (1990)

- different final drive (I believe)

For the 1989 brochure (in French) see http://www.minipassi...lame 1989 F.pdf

For the 1990 brochure see http://www.roblightb...e-brochure.html

1989 models tend to say 'Racing Flame' on the logbook (the two editions were treated as a single model for DVLA purposes); the 1990 cars are listed as 'RACG FLAME CHECKMATE'

I have a 1989 model in completely original spec (apart from an early 1990s Rover radio replacement) - they are very rare now to be unmodified. The Nimbus parts, in particular, are very difficult to source. Quite a few people on here would be interested if you're getting rid of them... 

#11 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the expertise.

Will post some progress reports as things move forward.

#12 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Update -

The car arrives at my house tomorrow.

Have decided to get it back to good running condition while keeping it as original as I sensibly can.

Will fit a set of  '90s Rover Cooper 12 x 4.5J  minilite wheels for a while - possibly painted white. This is because there is a white wheel cover missing and so far I haven't found a replacement.

I have found a grille off an Italian Job edition which I will spray Nimbus grey and add the right type of badge to.

Walnut dash will stay in for now while I gather parts to return it to standard.

Some other minor jobs to do eg refit the grey sill trim on one side, change the petrol cap, knock out the boot dent.

More news soon of the way more important hurdle -  MOT - next week.

Looking forward  to proudly taking part in the London to Brighton run next year in a fully sorted and nearly original car!

Richard

67ee0327-cd2e-4529-b6e4-4cb61b1bd47c_zps

#13 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

Great news Richard!

White alloys would look great, keep hold of the original trims as you may be able to pick up another at autojumble or from a supplier like SouthLakesMiniCentre.

If you would like me to send scans of the pages featuring the Flame and Racing from the Austin Rover magazine please feel free to send your email address via private message and l'll forward them to you.

Edited by Tyred-and-emotional, 03 November 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#14 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

White minilites sound like a nice plan - they were an option alongside the John Cooper tuning kits that were introduced for the Racing / Flame / Sky / Rose / Mini 30 998 limited editions from '89 onwards.

scan0001.jpg

And here's a Racing Green that had the conversion done at the time : https://www.instagra.../p/BGnGvcBESoo/

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by Quincy Sparks, 03 November 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#15 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

Fascinating info re the Cooper kit option. I didn't know.

Perhaps I should keep the shiny grille after all then!? (quizzical face)

Still the nimbus grey grille is fine and you don't see many around.

Superb car that one in the link.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users