#16 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

No probs, I have a mate with a JCG converted Flame from that period, so I'm a bit of a fan :) There's a good Facebook group with more images here : https://www.facebook...933693/?fref=ts

I really like the Mk2 style Cooper grille with the retro Cooper colours of the Flame / Racing / Checkmate, but we also have a Designer which has Nimbus trim, so I like that too. Which is better? There's only one way to find out ... etc etc ... ;)

#17 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

Can you still buy the square racing green decal/sticker on the rear Q panels?

Mine are weathered......

#18 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

Yes there's someone selling sets of the stickers on ebay at the moment for about £35 I think. Not sure if they are totally authentic because they may be cut vinyl rather than screen printed onto transparent backing.  But then I'm picky.

Yes mine have gone weathered as well - esp the boot one.

#19 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

Well we finally took charge of the car on Friday night when the transporter arrived from Sussex.

The car looked tiny on the back of the huge vehicle. Thanks to Colin the driver.

Sunday -  put a new battery in, took the plugs out, rocker cover off, poured oil all over the rocker shaft.

Swept out the dead wasps, leaves and cobwebs from under the bonnet. Suspect some mouse activity.

The plugs were fine and the oil looked clean so I turned the engine over for a while on the battery to get the oil moving then reassembled.

It took a while but eventually the car started. Runs a bit rough but OK.

I couldn't resist driving around the block with my girls in the back. This car is fun already!

Took the front wheels off to look at the brakes etc. Evicted several spiders, and one large garden snail.

- rusty discs but not too bad.  Next job - inspect rear brakes. and a proper service.

Discovered the huge trolley jack I bought is serious overkill in a tight space. See bottom right of photo.

Other minor jobs that came to light;

Temp gauge, horn, RH front Indicator, rear fog light  not working.

Rear view mirror flopping around.

Tappets a bit noisy. Running a bit rich.

Georgia ( daughter No.2)  cleaned the mildew off the interior, esp rear parcel shelf. It all looks/smells much better!

Evicted more spiders from headlining - mostly daddy long legs.

IMG_7865_zps2cjujfvx.jpg

Looks like this wont be a particularly  heroic restoration as can be seen posted elsewhere, but will record progress on here anyway!

Richard

Edited by Richard_, 07 November 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#20 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Looking good.Bet you can't wait to get it on the road

#21 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

Anyone know the paint code for Racing Green? I need to buy some touch up paint and my local automotive paint store said they can make it up for me with a code.

Also any chance you have a link for those decals on Ebay, Richard?

also, mine doesn't have one on the boot, is it the same as the sides? Could you post a pic so I can see where it goes?

#22 Will47

Will47

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Paint code for metallic british racing green is HNA 617, Halfords sell it quite cheaply and I can vouch for the fact it is a good match, well it was for me anyway! 

#23 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

HNA617, thank you Will47....is that  Rover code or something else?

#24 Will47

Will47

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

That is the Rover Code off of the label inside the engine bay of my Metallic BRG Mayfair. If your label is still there it will be on the drivers side inner wing, right at the front corner near the slam panel. 

#25 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

re the mirror flapping around, you can buy a new sucker for it from Minispares or similar.

#26 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

Full decal set here incl boot (slightly different to sides): http://martincull.cr...lid-Decals.html

The paint code on the VIN is a composite code which means white roof and green body. I've got mine written down at home - will check later. But the Halfords Racing Green metallic has been fine on my car.

#27 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

The paint code on my VIN plate (1989 car) is RWV, which translates as a combination of HNA (BLVC 617) Racing Green metallic + NMN (BLVC 655) White Diamond

#28 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

some1158 - yes that's the same info as my VIN plate and thanks for the translation.

I notice that Halfords do both metallic and pearlescent versions of BRG. Is the metallic the best match do you think?

#29 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

This week's progress report -

Had the distributor and carb off for overhaul of both.

The running rich issue was caused by the choke slide sticking.

The sliding shaft into which the jet mounts seems to be made of brass but coated in something - presumably a low friction material. It still doesn't slide particularly well. Anyone know a trick to improve this?

The ignition system is now basically new - except for the coil. It looks like the original item so 27 years old. It seems to work but I'm wondering if I should replace it and/or the (capacitor ?) attached to it.

It is the ballasted type and I want to stay away from electronic ignition for now. Do these things degrade over time?

IMG_7870_zpsotwkpc5u.jpg

Had the carpet out at the front because of water getting in somewhere. There is a rubbery sheet material 3mm ish thick stuck to the floor pan in the footwell area - is this standard and can I buy some more somewhere?

#30 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

Full decal set here incl boot (slightly different to sides): http://martincull.cr...lid-Decals.html

The paint code on the VIN is a composite code which means white roof and green body. I've got mine written down at home - will check later. But the Halfords Racing Green metallic has been fine on my car.

I'd second Sticky Fingers for replica decal sets - ordered one last week and shipped the same day - great service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users