#91 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:06 PM

Believe that all the steering rack is genuine on my 90 Flame Red and it has the 4.5" gaiters fitted.
If you don't want to do this job too often (due to bad rubber out there...even from good suppliers) I'd fit the Valtain high quality steering rack gaiters 5" long-pair from Somerford Mini. They cost but the best on the market for quality

Thanks. I took the gaiters off the car today to measure them and they're exactly 6" - just to confuse me further! I can't see I makes a lot of difference though to be honest so I'll go for the 5" as you suggest.

#92 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:32 AM

Cracki g build.. i had the red varient.... flame red.. loved it... loved it .... loved it....

998cc was the only thing (when i was young)

Always strivi g for better i sold it for a 98 mpi sportspack but i hVe tried several times to find the old flame.

Good to see your going bCk to old school factory resto..

#93 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

Cracki g build.. i had the red varient.... flame red.. loved it... loved it .... loved it....

998cc was the only thing (when i was young)

Always strivi g for better i sold it for a 98 mpi sportspack but i hVe tried several times to find the old flame.

Good to see your going bCk to old school factory resto..

Thanks for those encouraging words - The hardest part in a way has been resisting the urge to 'upgrade' everything. My first car when I was 18 was a mini. My brother and I modded the hell out of it and 40 years later its still in my blood so I have to rein myself in.

Driving to the MOT I was literally beaming all over my face. Probably looked a complete idiot and during the test I was pacing up and down like an expectant father.

I hope you find your old flame one day.  

Edited by Richard_, 18 May 2021 - 09:12 AM.

#94 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

I fear my old mini has gone to the baked bean tin factory in the sky...

#95 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

Well I finally got this car through the MOT and can  now get out and about!      :proud:

Thanks to all on the forum for your support and expertise.

Looking forward to finishing off the boot lid and a trip somewhere nice locally at the weekend to take some decent pictures.

ldBkyPml.jpg

Edited by Richard_, 20 May 2021 - 12:32 PM.

#96 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:29 PM

Well done on the pass and I'll look forward to the pictures

#97 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:38 PM

Go enjoy the hard work you have put in.. well done 364 days before the next test.....

#98 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:37 PM

Well done on the MOT pass.

#99 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

Congratulations! Enjoying following your restoration.

#100 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:13 AM

Did a few jobs this weekend: Replaced fuse box, finished the boot lid and took the car out for a decent drive for the first time. Four humans and a dog.

All went fine but overall not a lot of power from the engine, a dead temperature gauge, the throttle cable feels like it needs lubricating and a barely audible but unsettling 'clonk' or rattle coming from somewhere in the driver's side front area. 

(I forgot that Minis are always a rolling project!)

The top engine tie bar bushes are only 4 years old but the lower engine mounts could be 32yrs old. The subframe mounts could be the same.

will do some investigating and will gradually replace all of them in any case.

Engine-wise I think its just a question of adjusting mixture and timing.

Great fun to be out and about at last!

T6KGxa5l.jpg

Edited by Richard_, 24 May 2021 - 11:25 AM.

#101 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

Looks good,except for the wheels I could be looking at my car,glad I replaced the decals after painting it.Enjoy,Steve..

#102 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:47 PM

Looks good,except for the wheels I could be looking at my car,glad I replaced the decals after painting it.Enjoy,Steve..

Thanks Steve Yes the stickers are quite discreet so I don't mind keeping them on - and the stripe I really like.

I bought a sticker for the boot last year but have since lost it which is quite annoying!

I'm growing to like the wooden dash so might keep it after all and the Crayon seats cleaned up a treat with some steam so I'll keep those.

After lots of debate about the grille I've decided to keep it satin black.

#103 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 04:01 PM

A quick update as its been nearly a while.

Ive been enjoying driving the car around and about in the past year - in the dry only. On the technical side all I have done is add a few cosmetic go-faster bits.

e.g. steering wheel, cibies and door dots. All of which I can reverse.

A new rear subframe is going on this weekend as its that MOT time of year. Also some new rear shocks, adjustable cones and new rubber doughnuts.

Although I do like to retain the original spec I wanted to keep the ride height correct while the suspension settled.

I am looking forward to completing a big objective soon with this project.

This is to partake in the London to Brighton run, stopping off at the house I grew up in, in Couldson and remembering my mum who originally bought this car from new in 1989. 

NXm5Q9Nl.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how I get on on the L-B run as I'll be camping out of the car. If I like it I may end up planning a much longer trip next year e.g. Scotland or France.

I admit I have been toying with the idea of a 1275 engine swap on another thread here but overall i'm staying 998 as we are - for the time being anyhow.

#104 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 04:53 PM

Looking great Richard! I'm going to the L2B as well in my 1990 Flame Red! Hope to see you there. Am not camping over tho....going to drive from the north Cotswolds down the A34 (perhaps) and across country rather than on the m'way, v early on the Sunday morning to hope to get to the rec ground start for around 8/8:30!!

I did see your other thread re. the 1275...personally I think keeping it 998 would be best as you know the engine and its original to the Racing Green, which there aren't many good ones left and so will increase the value if/when you should ever want to sell it.

#105 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 10:55 AM

Had a new rear subframe fitted this week and we now have a new MOT. Its a great feeling as the subframe was an advisory on the last two MOTs.

i sourced the frame and other bits inc. new flexi brake lines, shocks, rubber cones and hi-los from Mini Spares, intending to do the job myself. But I was concerned that once the old frame was off I would quite possibly  find some bodywork needing welding underneath somewhere. As I don't do welding myself that would give me a major problem with the car up on blocks and immobile.

So I asked my local garage who looks after my every day car and my wife's BMW mini and it turns out the main man is a mini enthusiast. He offered to do the job for a good price so that's the way it went. Sure enough the car did need a small patch weld repair near the back of one of the sills. He also waxoyled everywhere.

A couple more bits on order - front seat bracket rear extenders and a steering column lowering bracket. Nice easy job for the weekend.

-and I'm looking forward to using my bootlid-mounted tea and coffee making facilities in earnest soon!

DYYUSrBm.jpg

ZETHpDQm.jpg

Edited by Richard_, 29 April 2022 - 10:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users