113 replies to this topic

#61 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:18 AM

I can say with 100% Certainty, that in March 1989 the following bits were nimbus gray on my Mum's Racing Green

- Grill

- Wheel arches

- Door & boot handle

- Number plate light 

- The door mirror(s)

I'm less certain about the gutter trim, and the sill trim.

I'm also pretty sure the wheels were just matt black, as was standard for any car with wheel covers.

The combination of the white roof & white wheels was very striking back then, not so unusual now, but then it was proper wow.

Edited by roblightbody, 11 April 2021 - 09:20 AM.

#62 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

My mum bought one exactly like this in March 1989 for, if i remember right, £4795.

The original owner of my Racing bought it at the end of March 1989. He paid £3000 cash and traded in a Mini 25 notionally worth £2125.

Yep sounds about right at that price. I had a proper look at the original steel wheels yesterday. They seem to be painted nimbus grey. I'm thinking they might look quite good refinished in that colour and used without the white covers as an option. I do wonder if I made a mistake and the grille really should've been nimbus as well?

Not sure about the actual steel wheels under the trims (mine have a helping of surface rust) but the grille is meant to be Nimbus on the 1989 (and black on the 1990). The mirror, door handles etc are similarly Nimbus on the 1989 and black on the 1990. Sill trims, arches, and gutter trim definitely Nimbus on the 1989. 

I used Rover Hurricane Grey solid (I think) on my grille as a close match

Edited by some1158, 11 April 2021 - 09:34 AM.

#63 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:40 PM

My mum bought one exactly like this in March 1989 for, if i remember right, £4795.

The original owner of my Racing bought it at the end of March 1989. He paid £3000 cash and traded in a Mini 25 notionally worth £2125.

Yep sounds about right at that price. I had a proper look at the original steel wheels yesterday. They seem to be painted nimbus grey. I'm thinking they might look quite good refinished in that colour and used without the white covers as an option. I do wonder if I made a mistake and the grille really should've been nimbus as well?

Not sure about the actual steel wheels under the trims (mine have a helping of surface rust) but the grille is meant to be Nimbus on the 1989 (and black on the 1990). The mirror, door handles etc are similarly Nimbus on the 1989 and black on the 1990. Sill trims, arches, and gutter trim definitely Nimbus on the 1989. 

I used Rover Hurricane Grey solid (I think) on my grille as a close match

OK thanks for that info. I'll have another look a the steel rims. Possibly they were  matt black after all - just faded.

I'll repaint the grille next time I have to whip it off.

#64 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:44 PM

I can say with 100% Certainty, that in March 1989 the following bits were nimbus gray on my Mum's Racing Green

- Grill

- Wheel arches

- Door & boot handle

- Number plate light 

- The door mirror(s)

I'm less certain about the gutter trim, and the sill trim.

I'm also pretty sure the wheels were just matt black, as was standard for any car with wheel covers.

The combination of the white roof & white wheels was very striking back then, not so unusual now, but then it was proper wow.

Thanks. I'll respray the grille then.

Gutter  trim is still there on mine and is clearly Nimbus. Pretty sure the sill trim was Nimbus as well.

#65 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Any of you guys expected to go to Beaulieu or IOW this year? I'm booked onto both for the time being....would be good to meet up with some owners of similar LE's (mines a Flame Red from 1990) 😊

#66 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

Bit if a setback yesterday.
I finished the jobs on 'the list' and thought I would tentatively drive the car for the first time in about 5 years. Just round the block to see if the car was ready for an MOT. In fact I hardly made it off the drive: The engine had hardly any power, the clutch was not feeling right at all and a horrible screech came from the fan area. New exhaust blowing at both joints.
All in all a bit demoralising- but not really surprising I suppose.
So next jobs are-
Overhaul clutch master and slave,
Try a new fan belt and assess water pump/alternator.
Test engine compression.
Sort exhaust: Possibly just by tightening u clamps.
The quest continues!

Edited by Richard_, 28 April 2021 - 10:03 AM.

#67 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:28 AM

I have had the alternator sieze if stood, several times.Might even buy a new one soon.Steve..

#68 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

I have had the alternator sieze if stood, several times.Might even buy a new one soon.Steve..

Thanks Steve .

The screech sounds like a very dry bearing somewhere- either pump or alternator. The fan belt is at least 10 years old though.

#69 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

This weeks update ;

I removed the fan belt to check the bearings in the alt and water pump. The alt bearings sounded iffy so I replaced the unit as they seem relatively inexpensive these days. It looked like the original was on there.

Replaced fan belt also. Screeching now gone.

Aiming to overhaul the clutch slave and master proved rather optimistic - the fluid was black and the internals were poor - so new ones on order as I really don't want to go through the pain of removing the split pin from the master cylinder cotter ever again!

The engine still has a problem. Good compression but the thing only chugs up to revs. and quite slowly. Plugs go sooty very fast. Here's my plan for the weekend;

1. Set the tappets as at least one of them is tapping.

2. Check operation of the HS4's piston. ( No lifting plunger fitted but apparently I can do this manually via the intake .)

3. Check I have installed the correct replacement jet. ( the old one broke its fuel delivery pipe.)

4. Check the ignition timing yet again.

Meanwhile at the rear, I have taken the boot lid off and I'm in the process of fixing the dent and 4 or 5 other minor ones on the same panel.

Inside, the seats have got mildew right into the fabric and despite hours of scrubbing  I just cant get it all out. So having said I would keep the car original I have ordered some leather replacements from an old MGF on ebay. These need a leather repair and some thought as to how they can be mounted so as to tilt forward. I have also added two brackets for some driving lights and I plan to replace the steering wheel.

I figure all of these items can be reversed relatively easily, and the character of the car will remain essentially 1989 'Racing' edition.

zppYVsUh.jpg

So the MOT is still just out of reach until I can get the car running properly. 

Things are coming along though, and I'm looking forward to visiting some events locally when lockdown permits in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Richard_, 07 May 2021 - 10:16 AM.

#70 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:17 PM

Where's your local area? Looking to go to the National Mini Day at Beaulieu as well as IOW much later in the year in my 1990 Flame Red. Would be good to meet other Racing/Flame/FlameRed/Checkmate owners out there 😊

#71 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

Aiming to overhaul the clutch slave and master proved rather optimistic - the fluid was black and the internals were poor - so new ones on order as I really don't want to go through the pain of removing the split pin from the master cylinder cotter ever again! - Fit 20mm R clips.

1. Set the tappets as at least one of them is tapping. - These are noisy even when set correctly.

Im sure you knew those anyway but worth repeating.

#72 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

I'm not sure how much, if any, use it may be to you, but i've got some detail on fitting MG TF seats to a pickup

seat prep and installation starts at this post and carries on a bit...

https://www.theminif...-8#entry3676649

#73 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

Thanks KTS.
They look the biz in your van. Quite a lot of fabrication though. Did you consider using a base frame from say Cobra? Do you thing one of those would work? They do a tilt and lock version.

#74 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:32 PM

I did try a cobra type base frame, but they have the slider mechanism built into them, and the mg tf seats have the slider mechanism built into the seat as well, so the seat was too high for my liking.

I did consider fitting a latch mechanism in the seat frame to hook onto the base/floor frame, but figured it wasn't really worth the effort considering how infrequently I'd need the seats to tilt

The frames did take some work, but apart from the welding it was all done with basic tools; drill,files,club hammer and a vice

#75 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

Yes that all makes sense.

For me I'll want to keep the tilt and latch facility. I think I'll end up with something similar to your van but with a latch - possibly one cut from the existing seats and grafted on.

I don't have a welding kit yet but this seat adaptation is a good excuse to finally get one. Many years since I did any welding though: It was either gas or stick in those days!

Interesting that you ended up adjusting the angles - I will do some mock-ups but also build in some adjustability e.g. some screw adjustable feet for the back and some means of packing for the front.

Great write-up and thanks for pointing me to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users