#1 zebigfatman

zebigfatman

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon minis

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi everybody, I'm gonna become known for odd ideas but I think I have had a good one!

I am building a 1275 up for fast road use so I am aware it will probably wear quite fast so I got thinking about ways to reduce this.

Because most of the wear occurs due to lack of oil at startup why not put an electric oil pump "in parallel" with the mechanical pump which you switch on for a few seconds before startup?

My idea is tap a hole for the feed from the low pressure side of the mechanical pump, then a filter, to the electric pump, one way valve, then into the oil gallery at the front of the block (my understanding is everything is fed from this). 

Pretty sure I'm going to give this a go but wandering if anyone else has done it?

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi everybody, I'm gonna become known for odd ideas but I think I have had a good one!

I am building a 1275 up for fast road use so I am aware it will probably wear quite fast so I got thinking about ways to reduce this.

Because most of the wear occurs due to lack of oil at startup why not put an electric oil pump "in parallel" with the mechanical pump which you switch on for a few seconds before startup?

My idea is tap a hole for the feed from the low pressure side of the mechanical pump, then a filter, to the electric pump, one way valve, then into the oil gallery at the front of the block (my understanding is everything is fed from this). 

Pretty sure I'm going to give this a go but wandering if anyone else has done it?

If you're going to the trouble of fitting an electric pump why not go the whole hog like they do with some competition engines and do away with the mechanical pump?

#3 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

Electric oil pump not desirable in my opinion, and a potential source of trouble.

If you want to go electric then would start with the water pump and see how you get on.

#4 zebigfatman

zebigfatman

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

The pump would be as well as the mechanical one, it is purely to ensure that all the bearings are getting a supply of oil during startup. The idea is just to have it on for a few seconds before startup and turn it off again straight after   :D

The idea of having only an electric pump is frankly terrifying, especially after spending so much money on the engine!!

Edited by zebigfatman, 24 April 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Must say I don't see the difference between only a mechanical pump and only an electric one ( electric ones are made to shut off everything when they fail, then again , my ignition cuts out when i lose oil pressure as well).
Anyway, fitting one can't be too hard. You can access the oil pickup pipe on the back of the gbox by making a little adapter plate instead of the standard blanking plate. Or could just add a new pickup(maybe thought the fuel pump hole) or even drill the sump. Then via a one way valve into the oil transfer pipe on the front of the block, jobs a goodun. ;)

#6 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

Back before the introduction of pre-engaged starters you could turn the engine over with the ignition switch off. That gives you rotation without detonation so oil movement without the engine actually running. Like you do on first turn over after a new build.
You could fit a switch in the coil ignition circuit to isolate it when you first turn it over.

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Back before the introduction of pre-engaged starters you could turn the engine over with the ignition switch off. That gives you rotation without detonation so oil movement without the engine actually running. Like you do on first turn over after a new build.
You could fit a switch in the coil ignition circuit to isolate it when you first turn it over.

That is very easy to do indeed I did it by accident when fitting a toggle starter.

#8 zebigfatman

zebigfatman

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

Ah, that's something to consider as well then. Cheers! Will let you all know how it goes. (will probably be a couple of months due to money constraints) :( 

#9 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

They already make a pre-oiler for cars, it's called an accusump and relies on a small canister of pressurized oil which is turned on when you switch the Ign.on and then is re pressurized as the engine starts. It also provides a reservoir of pressured oil should you uncover the oil pickup during hard cornering, very handy for a mini!

http://www.accusump.com/

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,985 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

They already make a pre-oiler for cars, it's called an accusump and relies on a small canister of pressurized oil which is turned on when you switch the Ign.on and then is re pressurized as the engine starts. It also provides a reservoir of pressured oil should you uncover the oil pickup during hard cornering, very handy for a mini!
http://www.accusump.com/

If I was going to do something I would do this so it is providing the high pressure oil at first start up.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,985 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

It's not needed and really, by fitting one, you are making more trouble for yourself.

There's always residual Oil throughout the engine, well enough to provide lubrication in the parts of the engine that are normally oil fed. I can't say I've found any engine that has suffered from this being an issue. The 'thing' to do on start up is to start to idle.

If you were to fit an Axillary Oil Pump, there's a few more things to consider that just were to plumb it in, eg, you'll need a non-return valve on the Output of your Aux Pump. Also, if any of this external plumbing fails, you'll very quickly do damage to your engine.

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Instead,Would an oil pre heater be worthwhile?

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

Instead,Would an oil pre heater be worthwhile?

#14 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

It's not helping the OP with their query but what does 'fast road use' mean?

#15 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Oil pressure at start up is no way as important as having the engine at running temperature where all the tolerances are at their optimum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users