134 replies to this topic

#76 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:03 AM

"I didn't mean to do it, I was just tidying up a bit and making space and it just kind of got out of control......"

This sounds like what I end up telling my wife when I say I'm going out to the garage for 30 minutes and don't come back in for 2 hours.  LOL!  Looking good though, you are absolutely flying on stripping it down.  Great work.

#77 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Garden shed all tidy. Cant believe everything you can unbolt from a mini is in here apart from the engine.

tzVDDhA.jpg

#78 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

"Min" got that shower I promised her. First wash in over 10 years and doesn't she look shiny...? :gimme:

l9ti7qQ.jpg

#79 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Love this thread. My first car was a 73 MK3 though a little later than yours. It had a heated rear window, alternator and inboard CV's (pot joints) rather than the hardy spicers.

When I strip a car I clean all the bits up I can like heater ducts, steering wheel and shroud, lights etc before storing. It makes it so much easier when you come to rebuild it.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

#80 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Bit late for that. I opened the rocker cover yesterday for a look and there are oily chunks under there??? Not sure when if ever it last came off there. Currently patching myself up to tackle suspension and subframes.

#81 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

Don't forget the door catches need to be removed.

#82 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Door catches are off :-)
Handbrake cover plates in the floor too. Brake lines are all out the engine bay. Removed the Gas struts one has blown and collapsed completely. Undone but failed to seperate the track rod ends released the steering rack and dropped the subframe out but failed to completely free the steering column so been doing research and have a new plan for tomorrow.

All in hand but currently feeling slightly foolish. Subframe is hanging on 44 year old rusted and corroded junk that it shouldn’t be hanging on.

#83 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

It's funny i started taking my mini apart just to check that the rear subbie was okay and give it a coat of paint to stop any further rot. Next thing, my car is looking like yours with complete strip down. It's the only way to know that it is done properly and get rid rid of the rot + stop rot for the next ten years... but it is a lot of work.. It's looking fab.. Good luck !

#84 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

Suddenly got some space in the engine bay!!!

JMC3eo1.jpg

steering column wasn't too difficult once I knew what I was doing. Part of the fun learning how to dismantle a car.

Next job is to figure out splitting the ball joints and swingarms from the subframe. At least I can get at it now.

tDHtWse.jpg

Rear brake lines, Fuel line and rear subframe to remove then I have a bare shell.

#85 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Progress !!  You are awesome...

#86 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Progress !!  You are awesome...

Ha ha I wish. Getting more lost as I go along but will figure it out. As the tag line says. Slow but getting there.

#87 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Ground to a halt now. Need a cone compressor. Also setting up my minispares account. Now it starts to cost.....

#88 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

Ground to a halt now. Need a cone compressor. Also setting up my minispares account. Now it starts to cost.....

WHATEVER YOU DO.......................don't add it up. That way all will be good!!!.............................Sort of, well maybe, ahh what the hell who am i kidding!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

#89 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

WHATEVER YOU DO.......................don't add it up. That way all will be good!!!.............................Sort of, well maybe, ahh what the hell who am i kidding!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

But with my TMF discounts just think of all the money I am saving.....

#90 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

But with my TMF discounts just think of all the money I am saving.....

Believe me, every little bit helps and i have used my fair share of discounts hard. I have a folder full of receipts and maybe one day i will add them up..............one day!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users