DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

Hi Jared

not quite as tidy as I would have liked on the C pillars! Started this in December! But the cold made it hard work so I left it for a while and then used heaters inside the car, making the liner more supple and stretchy.

The cold is something you won’t have problems with in RSA!

#93 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

Nice job. I'm pretty sure that the original from the factory had creases in it as I'm sure they would never have gone to the trouble that most suppliers outline in their fitting instructions.  I'm about to tackle this on my Elf re-build over the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed.  

#94 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

humph keep the interior & the headliner warm, so that it is stretchy. If it is cold like today the liner becomes stiff and unmanageable.

Another point, look at the top of the C Pillar panels, mine had a slight curve in them which made fitting a bit more difficult. The originals were cut straight.

#95 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

Hi Jared

not quite as tidy as I would have liked on the C pillars! Started this in December! But the cold made it hard work so I left it for a while and then used heaters inside the car, making the liner more supple and stretchy.

I live right by the Drakensberg, so it definitely gets pretty cold here! When I did mine it took me about 4 weeks to get stretched out and to get the creases out as best I can. You’ve done a great job!  =]

#96 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

Hi Jared

I live right by the Drakensberg, so it definitely gets pretty cold here! When I did mine it took me about 4 weeks to get stretched out and to get the creases out as best I can. You’ve done a great job! 

Hi Jared

I live right by the Drakensberg, so it definitely gets pretty cold here! When I did mine it took me about 4 weeks to get stretched out and to get the creases out as best I can. You’ve done a great job!  =]

I spent some time in Queenstown a few years ago. Actually when I first put the liner in, it was all creased, but after warming and stretching it is now OK

Edited by DUF2, 06 April 2021 - 07:52 PM.

#97 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

What a job!! But it is in!
Not the easiest when you are on your own. I put a thin bead of sealer in the body flange groove of the new rubber  seal.  Rubber fitted to flange first, then the groove for the screen lubricated with KY jelly. Screen fitted into groove on one side, tried to fit screen into groove on other side, only for it to come out of first side! Eventually got it in the groove but then spotted the seal had dropped off the top of the flange!!
Got the screen fitted all the way around in the groove, then fitted 4 bits of the old filler strip to help centre it. Now to fit the new filler strip. Started just past the bottom centre again with everything lubed up. Started to come back to the bottom corner on drivers side only for the tool to bend and drop out of the groove. Much cursing and swearing before I got the tool straightened up, back in the groove and away again only for it to drop out again at the drivers top corner. Tool now well misshapen, straightened it up again and got about another 300mm before it bent again and dropped out of the slot. It is not easy to wangle it back into the slot when the filler strip is in the centre of the tool. Getting frustrated and fed up so came in for a cup of tea.

After a break went back to it thinking I was going to have to buy a new tool. Straightened the tool once more and struggled to get it back into the groove and away again until I got the top passenger corner where the tool dropped out of the groove again. After much cussing and swearing I got the filler strip back to where I started at the centre bottom. I need to cut this long so it won’t shrink back, but left it for the day as I’m a bit pissed off with the screen fitting.
Attached File  BD71113A-E7B5-4C1B-A65C-395EC46B7AE9.jpeg   82.7K   0 downloads
Ohh I put some masking tape on the headlining on the inside just in case any screen sealer got on it. You’ve guessed it, with the rubber having dropped off the top of the flange a couple of times, there is a bit of sealer on the new headlining!!!  I shall leave it for a while before trying to remove it.

Edited by DUF2, 08 April 2021 - 09:23 AM.

#98 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:27 AM

I installed one of the rear quarter lights using the old seals but the window would not shut properly without putting strain and bending the piano hinge. So I ordered some new seals. It turns out the old seals were cut down door seals so we’re too thick! The window shuts nicely now.

#99 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

DUF, has your large air intake pipe that runs through the engine bay been replaced? If so is it the ridiculously expensive item the main suppliers are selling, or have you found a more reasonably priced alternative? The one that came off my car was just a cheap plastic vent pie but it’s full of holes, but I’m struggling to find anything in the right size at a reasonable price.

#100 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:17 AM

Humph, yes the replacement air intake trunking is a stupid price. I looked on eBay and bought this, can’t trace it back all the way as I have had it a while

Attached File  52322C5B-74C3-47EE-90CA-E5BFB0484EEE.jpeg   19.02K   2 downloads

I’m sure if you search you will find a similar hose.  I bought 2 of these about a year apart, they are a touch smaller than the standard hose and will not fit onto the boss on the Elf heater. What I did was to use a short section of the original hose and screw the new section into it. Whilst not quite the original part, which some folks would not be happy unless it is original, it does the job for around £12.

#101 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:30 AM

Thank you. Couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw £60-70 for the oem part.

#102 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

Thank you. Couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw £60-70 for the oem part.

yes I was astounded by the price, so looked around for an alternative. There are lots of hoses at 50mm & 100mm but few at the 75-80 mm that we need.

Keep a bit of the original for where it fits onto the heater, the stuff I bought fits inside the original. I bought one pice at first, it comes concertinered so is quite short,  when extended it only went about half way so you will need two.

#103 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 08:01 PM

First of all let me apologise for such a long time since my last post. There has been a bereavement in the family and I had a lot of work to do associated with that. However it did NOT take 15 months!! 
problem was me, I’d got out of the habit of working on the car and sat around on my arse for too long.

A couple of weeks ago, whilst out for a meal with my son, I was berated for not doing any work on the car. It was suggested I pay someone to finish off the car!!!

So I have got myself into the garage.

I have a lot of pics on my phone which are too big, I need to reduce them down, beforeI can post them

#104 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:25 AM

You may recall, I mounted the servo under the dash on the passenger side

Attached File  B1830B72-DBD6-465E-8932-025A794BC109.jpeg   106.06K   0 downloads

As I am now installing the carpets and interior trim,

Now you see it.

Attached File  CB99E091-CEFC-44DC-9D79-626FB9AE772D.jpeg   85.35K   0 downloads

Now you don’t

Attached File  F1D9CEB7-1C2D-426A-B562-6FFC3DD2B901.jpeg   86.5K   0 downloads

#105 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:44 AM

I have been struggling trying to suss out how the carpet/door seal was to go together. The new rubber door seals I have don not have any metal spines in them they are just rubber, so the question was, does the carpet go under the rubber or just butt up against the rubber.

Attached File  EBFD8179-3F98-4AF1-B4D6-981872D4F986.jpeg   27.72K   0 downloads

The flange on the door and the thickness of the carpet was too much for the rubber to fit over, if I stopped the carpet short, there was the problem of perhaps a ragged edge on the carpet and maybe even paintwork showing through if the carpet was not butted to the rubber.

I then thought about trimming the pile off the carpet. I had a bit spare carpet so tried to shave the pile off the carpet. Unsuccessfully at first as I was using a Stanley knife. Then I thought about a beard trimmer, it worked!!

Attached File  D4520820-B395-4F10-AB62-07E09690D489.jpeg   89.21K   0 downloads

Here is the carpet glued to the door flange and trimmed level with the edge.

Attached File  2FB98B9E-3375-4BB1-9740-3B4F3C8D191B.jpeg   59.51K   0 downloads

here is me “shaving” the edge

I’m not sure why the orientation of the photos is changing.

Edited by DUF2, 14 July 2022 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users