#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hey

I have a art scollaship and currently attend art collage 2 days a week (KIAD for those of you from my way), for my FMP i have chose to design and make a rear seat layout for my little project car but i am really after some advice as i have never made one apart from this poo thing made from mdf a few months ago. I think that this will be a pretty good project to do as i will have from november untill july to complete it, and i wont run out of intrest because to be honest i cant really. I remeber reading up on some one who did some on here for quite a few cars specificly remember he did a pretty nice one for a civic which looked amazing!

I do not know much about how these layouts are made so any advice on what i need to get (which will be provided free by my collage :D ) then i would be very gratefull.I want to have 2 15"'s and 2 amps in the layout and i am thinking of making the amps sunk into the layout and covered with perspex?

Any advice on how you did yours or what direction i should be aiming towards than i would be very thankfull

Tomm

#2 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

If you're arty, you've gotta give fibreglass a shot IMO :D

Check this out for some inspiration...namely the "Rides" pages and the build galleries

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/

#3 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

fiberglass is deffinately where its at!

seen some pretty emense builds so far. I am after a smooth sleek streamline design some nice curves not to keep on these 90 degre angles and what have you.

Loving the civic and escalade build in on that link!

Posted Image

hats the kind of amazing build i am after, Just remebered that cooper shaz is the one who made the amazing builds so i am just of to read his thread in FAQ's

Edited by tomm, 05 October 2006 - 10:41 PM.

#4 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Cool. That sounds like a great project to do at KIAD.

#5 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

Cheers mate, not got to start it untill november so ive got quite a while to chose what audio i want and what kind of layout i want. I am thinking of taking the layout back and onto the parcel shelf and down to the floor where i have cut the rear bech out instead of having it sitting where the rear seat would have been.

Get what i mean?

Tomm

#6 MiniDude

MiniDude

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

Hi there, I did a full install awhile ago for my old car using fibreglass, the main steps are shown here:

Clicky

Ive got loads more pictures if you need anymore, and any questions I'll do my best to help!

Andy :D

(Oh, and I also made this for a college project, so good luck with yours!!!)

#7 lostininglewood

lostininglewood

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

hey that's my back seat up above.

The surround is covered in black vynal, and looks really good. Took a good while to heat and streatch to fit perfect, but was well worthit.

I also built a dash that I'm going to have covered to match the back and black vynal seats with whit pipeing.

Also if you have any questions drop me a line. [email protected]

Thats my 2nd fiberglass build in my mini. I've also done a dash previous to it, and a centre consul.

I haven't touched my mini all summer, but I'm selling my BMW now so I'm planning on driving it full time come spring again. :D WOO HOO.

MiniDude, Nice job you did. I love the VW polos, just too bad their not avail in North America.

Edited by lostininglewood, 06 October 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

just think about if you realy want your amps on show :D

someone might help their self to them :w00t:

#9 MiniDude

MiniDude

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:57 AM

In response to bungle, I would design your layout how you want it, but then make a cover to go over it, to keep prying eyes away! Unfortunatley in todays world of scum bag thieves, you've got to consider security!

#10 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

mini dude that layout looks ace and so does your polo i love it i have a mk 3 which is going through a tad of work at the moment!

regards to the theifing pikeys i think i may put the amps behind a tinted peice of perspex with neos of some sort so that at night the amps can be seen but during the day they are to to opvious withought a carefull look.

The car will be garaged all the time apart from in car parks ect and i am hoping to tint the rear windows and my buckets dont leave much space to see into the back anyways but i will deffinately take that into consideration!

Thanks, Tomm

#11 MiniDude

MiniDude

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

Thanks! :D And good luck with the mk3, love those too! Maybe a 'euro style' G40 will find its way into my driveway sometime!

#12 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

:proud: G40 :w00t:

Once my mini is done :w00t:

#13 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have become extremely attracted to a van shel thats up for sale and if it hasnt yet been sold my mummy said she will buy me it (A) . So i may have to change my ideas totaly and maybe i could have some MEGA bass from a van. I dont want to go TO over the top like that van with 8 subs but how does 4 12's sound with 2 tvs? light with blue neons?

If i have a lot of bass wont it crack the fibreglass?

Tomm

#14 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

Why not go totally OTT? :proud:

Would you still want a flowing fibreglass install, though this time from behind the front seats to the boot?

What is your budget for the audio kit? That's gonna have quite a bit bearing on which bits you get...

#15 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

well audio wise i am in love with the JBL GTO4 series, so its either 15's or 12's and i will be sticking with JBL 2000Gto amps and i would like all my components to be JBL as i think they are great.

layout wise i would still want a very nice flowing fibreglass layout but i cant decide how much room i want to take up and the like.

Hum 4 subs or 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users