107 replies to this topic

#76 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:30 PM

I had a good couple of days working on the mini.   Firstly I had new tyres fitted and picked them up.   I'm happy with the way they turned out.

oA2KWQYl.jpg

Then I started to rub back the boot floor with my favourite toy being the grinder with the twisted wire cup.   The underside of the floor is covered with a bitumen type coating which made things a bit more interesting to get through.   It was al going well until I uncovered some rust in the boot floor new the bottom of the seat back.

tXQB23Ol.jpg

Then I looked at the battery box.   Not a good quality repair job on the base and uncovered some rust holes as well.   Looks like a new battery box will have to be ordered.

a7JUeJDl.jpg

wzttqRCl.jpg

#77 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:00 AM

I didn’t get the chance to work on the mini over the last few weeks with work getting in the way. But spent Friday last week rearranging my workshop. It’s amazing what you find. The amount of double ups I found due to the messy state of my workshop.

#78 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

I managed to get a few hours on the mini on Sunday. Continued with the wire wheel on the floor. Unfortunately the battery in my cordless grinder would only give me about 15 mins continuous work and then take about an hour to charge up again. The grand result was about 400mm square section ground back to bare metal. There was so much bitumen paint on the underside of the floor. On the negative side I found a couple of really small rust holes and some extremely dodgy repairs. I think I might be up for a set of front floor replacement panels. The panel shop just used flat steel and roughly welded them in place then covered the joins with thick bitumen paint.

Where would be the best place to purchase the panels from?

#79 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:12 AM

I removed the bitumen on my car with a hot air gun and scrubbed them away.

For the panels I ordered at M-Machine, they have decent quality panels, some are Heritage, some self made and also a few from Magnum if I remember well.

A bit of progress is still good, mine is on hold at the moment... Not enough time to get to my father's shed and dig the shell out...

#80 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

Giles, I looked at you build log the other day and was wondering how yours was progressing. I looked at some front floor panels from Minisport which are Magnum panels. They come with the inner sill section which I don’t need as mine are quite good. I’m thinking that for just over $100 it’s worth the time and money to replace the dodgy floor sections.

#81 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 March 2022 - 09:41 PM

A few more hours after being neglected were spent yesterday.   I have almost finished grinding back the driver's side floor when I discovered some dodgy, well I won't say repairs, because even with my knowledge filling rust holes with body filler isn't a repair, to the driver's side sill.   Just behind the jacking point there is a fair amount of rust.   The rest of the sill looks good so I think I cut it out and replace it with metal and not body filler.   

jOYCzfK.jpg

I've painted the bare metal with a high zinc paint as we have almost daily rain here after flooding twice in 6 weeks, so that the car won't rust any more.

I also cut out what was left of the battery box so that I can get my grinder in to remove the rest of the bitumen paint and road grime from underneath the boot floor.   There I discovered more dodgy repair with a replacement wheel well put in but not finished off properly underneath.   I'll take a photo of that later and see if I can get some advice on the best move forward with that.

#82 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:48 AM

The jacking point looks pretty fat with rust.For the extra time spent I would remove all the sill and replace it.it could actually be easier to do.Just my experience,Steve..

Edited by sonscar, 14 March 2022 - 09:49 AM.

#83 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 12:06 PM

It looks like the sill has been replaced with a folded piece of sheet metal, as there are no flutes visible. 

#84 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:09 PM

Colin, seeing what the rest of the “repair” work is like I wouldn’t be surprised. There is one flute on the sill at the back but that’s it.

#85 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 14 March 2022 - 11:06 PM

Australian cars had locally made sills which were a bit flatter then the UK sills

#86 Tds76

Tds76

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:26 AM

My June 1970 K has only a single flute to the rear on each sill. 

Paul. 

#87 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:15 PM

Good spot Timmy

15988134972_98382846d7_b.jpg

I don't think I would have noticed that at the time of doing my aussie Leyland Mini...

Edited by colinf1, 15 March 2022 - 12:16 PM.

#88 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:06 AM

If that’s the case with my sills then I’ll look at repairing the driver’s side. Either that or wait until I prep the passenger’s side before ordering replacement panels. 

#89 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:47 PM

Spent a bit more time on the mini shell yesterday.   It seems as though the previous person that worked on the mini loved bitumen paint to cover up rust.   It looks like I'm in for a new boot floor as the rust section has about 4 different angles to it and the wheel well is a flat piece of steel that has had a few cuts in around the edges and welded into place.

GnGcjoKl.jpg

wGhXNHXl.jpg

mzYf2rAl.jpg

#90 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 01:24 AM

Received a box full of goodies from Minispares last week.   New boot floor, rear valance front floor pans to replace the "repaired" panels fitted to the vehicle.   I managed to get some time to break out the trusty grinder and wire wheel inside the front wheel well.   And as usual found more rust.   This time there was a combination of body filler and bitumen paint so that I guess the last bloke must have started at the front and made his way backwards as there was more care taken to fill the rust.

dUeSMrll.jpg

Hkb1BYXl.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users