107 replies to this topic

#91 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:36 AM

Well after a few months I managed some time in the garage again. As usual found more “repaired” rust.  I’m very close to the point where I can cut out the flat steel floor panels. My question is since I only need to replace the floor pan and not the inner or outer sills do I need to add bracing in the door opening when I cut the floor pan out?

#92 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:58 PM

Managed another hour in the garage over the weekend.   Way too hot to spend much more time there.    But the usual task at hand of grinding down the floor was done, and as usual more rust located in the boot floor.   I was hoping to get away with just trimming back the boot floor panel and keep the seat base in place but the more I grind back the more rust I find.   So it looks like the entire boot will need to be done.

#93 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 09:34 AM

I’m over grinding down a small section of the floor at a time. I’ve grown impatient and looking at having the shell blasted to be able to have a clean slate to continue with. What are people’s opinions about either sand blasting or sofa blasting?

#94 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 09:19 AM

The first time in about 10 years since the mini has seen the sun. Waiting patiently at the end of the drive way for the long trip of 300m up the road to be stripped and painted. The street has such a bad camber that I had to push the mini in the middle of the street to it's destination.

T0jiDJol.jpg

Here it is where it will be for the foreseeable future. I'm lucky enough to still be able to do all the dirty jobs to strip it back to bear metal. From that point on I'm banned.

WIXJJOFl.jpg

It has cost me another few hundred dollars in new panels. But the cost of new panels is cheaper than the hours required to panel beat the existing panels.

Edited by 70K1100, 15 September 2023 - 09:20 AM.

#95 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:13 PM

Some small progress on the mini today.   New panels ordered from Minispares, Quote received from painter for paint and panel which was well within budget.   However, I was told that the mini is a dirty, dirty girl.   It took three sessions with the power washer to clean all the crap off and out of the shell.   

#96 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 06:38 PM

Received this picture today from the painter.   Looks like the boot floor and the front floor panels have been cut out and ready for the replacements.

Dloy4wal.jpg

#97 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 07:43 AM

The mini has progressed more in the last two weeks than is has in the last 11 years.   The shell is at the panel beater getting work done on it and I'm waiting on new panels to come from Minispares to finish the body work off.   I've been instructed at that once rthe body work have been done, then I'm not allowed to work on the mini until it has been painted.

However, as the shell currently sits it has one new floor panel, which previously in some places was three layers thick,   The hard to reach areas have been sandblasted and the majority of the shell has been painted in epoxy.   The only real hold up was when I went to buy the paint, I was told that the colour I wanted was not available in 2pac, only acrylic.   So a change of colour was decided on.

Here are some of the progress pics.

Od7b57fl.jpg

sImmrTil.jpg

4zs9NlUl.jpg

I think that I should name the car Joseph.   After the numerous colours that the shell was previously painted, the poor things techincoloured dream coat.

UgkaHZ8l.jpg

Wy2D8rdl.jpg

n0lsCUKl.jpg

WGzbCeEl.jpg

4smz8Ljl.jpg

6ss0Glul.jpg

After that I spent a day dismantling the doors and then sanding them back to bare metal.

bZSKKEQl.jpg

Thankfully no bad suprises there.

Then onto the boot lid, which I really think was made up of at least 50% body filler.   That was the biggest job.   Still some repair work needed on the bootlid.

ztkUS7Kl.jpg

Edited by 70K1100, 11 October 2023 - 07:44 AM.

#98 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:23 PM

Well done on the large tub of elbow grease you are using.. congrats.

Car looks good

#99 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 11:54 PM

Christmas arrived early on Monday.   When I got home from work, I found presents waiting for me.   Thank you to Minisport in Adelaide who packaged the new roof skin really well and it arrived very quickly.   Same with Minispares in the UK.   There package arrived very quickly as always.

JvNBo65l.jpg

HGpxo49l.jpg

#100 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 11:57 PM

I spent yesterday stripping down the front subframe again.   This time for some strengthening work done around the two towers.   Then off to get sandblasted and powder coated.

Can the front subframe be assembled whilst on the vehicle, or is it easier to put the cones, upper and lower arms in before putting the subframe in?

#101 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:36 AM

it can be done after it's fitted, but much, much easier (especially the upper arms) to assemble it before fitting

IIRC the nut on the lower arm pin should be fully tightened once the car is back on the ground

#102 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 10:06 AM

It may be worth waiting to build up the subframe until you have assembled the front panel and wings on the car, you need to mount the front panel on the front subframe to ensure everything aligns.

It may also be worth waiting until this has been done, before sending it off for powder coating, to prevent any damage to the powdercoating as you'll be putting it in, taking it out, working on the front panel and wings around it

#103 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for the advice. I think I will wait so that the front lines up.

#104 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 11:41 AM

Another productive day.   I spent the day with some help from my painter cutting the old roof of the mini in preparation for the new roof.   After cutting it off initially with an angle grinder, I think the person who put the roof on was paid by the spot weld.   I didn't know that there were going to be so many.   It's probably a good thing that I am putting a new roof on the car, because we found a lot of surface rust.   Nothing a quick sand blast won't fix.   But after a quick trial fit of the new roof, I called it a day.

z6WUdPdl.jpg

C8IrWS5l.jpg

6my3N7Ml.jpg

awGfUiYl.jpg

#105 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:14 AM

Not a lot has happened over the last month.   I hate it when work gets in the way.   Mostly just buying parts for the mini.   One of those purchases I blame on Timmy850.   After watching his Youtube video with his mini with the Dellorto carb, a 40DCOE came up locally on Facebook Marketplace.   So as a result of this video, I am now the proud owner of a 40 DCOE.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users