#17 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

In my boy-racer youth, I used to use DS11 pads and a big servo, but these days, there is so much traffic that a soft pad is preferable.

A couple of years ago at the Silverstone International Trophy meeting, I was given a lightly worn set of pads that apparently have "Aramid Fibres".

They grip very well in town driving, have good feel at moderately high speed and I have never noticed fade when descending long hills.

I like them, and wish I knew who made them.

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

For road use standard OE spec pads are fine.
For mild competition use the Mintex 1144 if fairly good, but if used aggressively they can fade. The Mintex 1166 is good, but best of all on 7.5" discs are the Carbon-Metallic pads as supplied by Mini Spares. Ideally with the 1166 or C-M pads a comp brake fluid should be used.

#19 mini_pooper

mini_pooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

Sounds good - do you know if the Ultimax Street pads (GBP103ULTIMAX) which I have fitted are similar to harder fast road pads? I'm thinking along the lines of going to standard OE pads, but if the Ultimax ones are already "standard spec" then I won't be improving much.

If however the Ultimax Street pads are harder or fast road, then it might be worth trying to switch to standard OE for better feel. Any recommendation between the GBP103AF or GBP103MS for standard?

I assume just changing the pads is ok and that I don't need to change the discs?  :proud: 

#20 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:51 PM

Don't buy the ultima pads or otherwise known as EBC Black Stuff. They need to be hot to work and are no good for normal street driving.

#21 mini_pooper

mini_pooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

Don't buy the ultima pads or otherwise known as EBC Black Stuff. They need to be hot to work and are no good for normal street driving.

That explains a lot!  :proud: Looks like I'm going to try the GBP103MS pads that Mintex make (marked with AP Lockheed), unless anyone knows of a benefit of the genuine GBP103AF ones at twice the cost? As far as I am aware, the two are the same spec, just made by different companies?

What about discs, has anyone tried Minispares' upgraded 7.5 disks (GBD101) and know if they are worth the upgrade over the stock GBD101MS? In other words, are the stock "MS" ones made of chocolate and wear much faster?

I currently have the GBD101MS disks which came with the kit and may replace them with the upgraded ones once they wear out, if they are any better...  :D

Edited by mini_pooper, 10 April 2019 - 07:47 PM.

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

I am restoring a 1990 Cooper rally car and have decided to fit 10" wheels so that both my rally cars can use any of the wheels I have.

I have just bought a pair of MS101 discs because I want the best option. For pads I shall fit either Mintex 1166 or the Carbon-Metallic ones from Mini Spares. For brake fluid I use the old AP600 (current equivalent - can't remember the number).

However, remember that when rallying, especially on tarmac, the discs actually do glow a dull red so hot do they get.

For road use I quite like the Mintex 1144. I do not like EBC having had some years ago and found that the wear rate when driven hard was poor and they did fade easily. They were 'Red Stuff' I think.

#23 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

I went from Mintex M1144 pads to the Ultimax pads (because the Mintex needed replaceing)...

The Mintexx 1144's are brilliant direct from cold and no fade, the Ultimax pads just didnt want to work when cold so used to **** meself when I first used the brakes in a morning LOL.

The Mintex 1144's I found was very dusty and left the front wheels black with dust.

Im using standard pads at the moment because funds are a bit short but I need to stop when required... I will be replacing the pads before the Mini goes for its MoT when Iv got it ready for the test whenever that will be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users