#31 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:50 AM

King pin inclination angle? Ball roll center? A couple of terms unfamiliar to me. Taller ball joints effect on handling? Requirement for front alignment after installation? These are a few questions that I have. Any help out there?

King Pin Inclination (or KPI) - If you draw an line from the roll center of the top ball joint through roll center of the bottom ball joint and then measured that angle to a perpendicular line up from the ground, at normal ride height, that's the KPI.

Ball Roll Center - that center around which the Ball Joint swivels.

Taller Ball Joints (or effectively moving the Ball Joint Roll Centers further away from each other) - If you look at this drawing;-

YT6zmUP.jpg

It will help show where to 'look' in regards to KPI, but also, if you were to move say the Top Joint higher, it will move that Ball Joint Roll Center higher too. This in turn will change (among a zillion other things) the KPI and so will have a change on handling. Same with the lower, and even more so if both are moved.

Requirement for a front end alignment - strictly speaking even do as much as undoing a ball joint from the arm and fitting it back together requires a wheel alignment check, but really, how much is it going to move?  I'm sure if one was to remove their old ball joints and say, slip a set of the Maintenance free ones in, you'd be OK as far as needing a wheel alignment goes.

#32 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:08 AM

Moke, my earlier comment was with regard to roll centre not ball roll centre. If the balljoint roll centres sit further out from the hub top and bottom, the roll centre of the suspension will be higher. I've no experience of how this might affect a Mini, if it even has any effect at all. The suspension and handling of a Mini are quite quirky and it doesn't necessarily follow normal rules! If it was a small racing car on a circuit roll centre would be very important.

#33 IntMilkBrilliant

IntMilkBrilliant

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Is it worth enquiring about a group purchase?

My brother lives in the UK still, so I will inquire if VAT is required if I send 10 sets to myself at my brothers registered address for distribution.

If anyone knows about this, that would help

Edited by IntMilkBrilliant, 05 May 2020 - 08:15 AM.

#34 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

Sent this morning

Having not lived in the UK for the last 16yrs, I'm not up to speed on the ins-and-outs of VAT. Based on feedback from previous buyers, some pay, some don't.

One thing to look into is to see if the UK is still part of the EU/Japan free trade agreement until December this year when the UK finally departs. Based on the EU/Japan free trade treaty, I hear VAT can be waived if it includes the original invoice from me signed and stamped with my companies 13-digit corporate number. I supply these currently to all EU purchases.

Re dimensions, I haven't listed these on my website yet, but attached is an image of a Japanese made high quality OEM original ball joint [¥10,780 for a set of 2] compared to the maintenance free ball joint. The difference is only marginal at a few millimeters [maintenance free] more.

#35 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

Sent this morning

Having not lived in the UK for the last 16yrs, I'm not up to speed on the ins-and-outs of VAT. Based on feedback from previous buyers, some pay, some don't.

One thing to look into is to see if the UK is still part of the EU/Japan free trade agreement until December this year when the UK finally departs. Based on the EU/Japan free trade treaty, I hear VAT can be waived if it includes the original invoice from me signed and stamped with my companies 13-digit corporate number. I supply these currently to all EU purchases.

Re dimensions, I haven't listed these on my website yet, but attached is an image of a Japanese made high quality OEM original ball joint [¥10,780 for a set of 2] compared to the maintenance free ball joint. The difference is only marginal at a few millimeters [maintenance free] more.

Attached File  Screenshot_20200505-094919_Outlook.jpg   30.38K   20 downloads

Edited by IronmanG, 05 May 2020 - 09:17 AM.

#36 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

I just received a full set from David - incredibly high end rubber components only come from Japan now. Not cheap, but if you only have to do the job once thanks to better quality, I know where my money is going. 

#37 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

I just received a full set from David - incredibly high end rubber components only come from Japan now. Not cheap, but if you only have to do the job once thanks to better quality, I know where my money is going.

Good to hear. Did you have to pay any additional import taxes as someone mentioned earlier?

#38 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

No tax/ VAT/ duty. I did also buy the tie rod bushes and the knuckle joints.

#39 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

Seems odd that none of Britain's Mini parts suppliers have started offering these ball joints for sale.  I mean most of them sell an array of expensive stuff that no one really needs but these seem to be reasonably priced highly essential parts of good quality yet all they supply in this regard is cheap sub standard rubbish.

#40 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:03 AM

Because they do not look as good as shiny wheels?Only barely joking.Steve..

#41 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

How about play mini? Nick used to have good japanese contacts. Dont know if he still does?anyone have a good relationship with him?

#42 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:18 AM

Any tips on how to install these? I learnt that my typical deep sockets do not fit over these because of the sealing pin that holds the rubber dust cover firmly in place.

How would would torque these to the hub?

#43 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:02 AM

post-122104-0-57008700-1588670244.jpg

This looks like a significant number of millimeters, top and bottom...Does anyone smarter than me know how this effects the suspension geometry foreal?

Edited by Tremelune, 23 July 2020 - 02:02 AM.

#44 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

That photo is a bit deceptive as the gaiter is sat higher up the pin and presumably would compress - the top of the taper on the shank looks very similar in height (given one joint is slightly further from the camera).

#45 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

post-122104-0-57008700-1588670244.jpg

This looks like a significant number of millimeters, top and bottom...Does anyone smarter than me know how this effects the suspension geometry foreal?

If you scroll back to my Post (#21) you'll see that the Seat is well up inside the 'Nut'. The photo here is quite misleading. When fitted up, the Ball Joint Roll Centre is unchanged,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users