#1 Baker17

Baker17

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:38 PM

Hi guys, 

I've got a 1999 1.3 mpi Cooper that the previous owner had cut the suspension cones down so theres no movement. As you can see the arches are now starting to rip away from the body due to this and therefore making the car undriveable. I'm undecided if to go for Hi-Lows on the front and rear or just to the rear and standard cone for front. Any thoughts on this? 

I also wonder if anyone knows a good set to purchase on Mini Sport or Mini Spares? 

Thanks!! 

Attached Files

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

I'd go hi-lo's front and rear, but also check the condition of the rubber cones (especially the front ones) to see what condition they're in and consider replacing them if necessary

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:53 PM

I'd replace the cones too, would be silly not to whilst it's in bits

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

Did he definitely cut them or has it all just collapsed ?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

HiLos are only available from MiniSpares. As are the original design rubber donuts.

replace the rubbers and fit Hilo’s.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:04 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to fit Hilos.

It's almost silly that they never fitted them at the factory, just with enough range to allow for the normal settling of the rubber cones.

#7 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

You'll need new cones, fronts at least.

Hi-los or similar are an excellent idea. I'm sure you know all the pros of them. You can set the ride height where you want it and maintain that height as your cones wear and sink until caput. Repeat!

Bear in mind they make the ride a bit firmer. The lip is larger than a standard trumpet and at a different angle, so the initial squish of the cone needs a greater input. This is an advantage in reducing body roll though. Plus the difference isn't huge but if comfort is what you are going for, I'd say standard set up is that bit softer.

Having said that, yours looks to have no suspension, like none. So new cones and restoring some ride height are gonna be a transformation in ride.

It looks so low I would also check the bump stops and even the ball joints havn't suffered. It's not meant to operate at those angles on the standard bits. Although perhaps the 13s are making it look worse than it is.

#8 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:38 AM

Steveston Motorco likes the "red dot" cones and HiLos for the street:

Mini Spares has the real deal.

#9 Baker17

Baker17

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone, really helpful! decided to go for the Hilos front and rear! 

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone, really helpful! decided to go for the Hilos front and rear!

and what rubber?

#11 Baker17

Baker17

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:36 PM

I managed to find some on mini spares. Car is booked in next week to change everything over. 

#12 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

Steveston Motorco likes the "red dot" cones and HiLos for the street:

Mini Spares has the real deal.

My set up exactly. Standard ride height, hi-los, red dots, KYB gas-adjust shockies.
I highly recommend for a road car that you want to enjoy but have a play in now and then. It's stiffer than all standard but smooth with body roll more controlled, suspension travel is more progressive

#13 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club TURKIYE

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

Hi Everybody;

My Car is 1992 Mini SPI. I have changed my shocks with "Kayaba Gas Upgrade Shocks" (from mini spares), put on "Genuine Moulton Smootha Ride Front/Rear Suspension Cones", "Adjusta Ride Full Car Set" and " Negative Camber & Tracking Rear Brackets pair(from Mini Sport). 

The car is still harsh suspensions. When the car goes into a small pit, the suspension is still very hard and there is a lot of noise and vibration.

I also replaced "TRACK ROD END JOINT MINI / METRO NON GENUINE" (from mini spares).

Despite all these changing parts, what would you recommend for the hard suspension situation? What should be the original height of this vehicle? Thanks.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

Hi Everybody;

My Car is 1992 Mini SPI. I have changed my shocks with "Kayaba Gas Upgrade Shocks" (from mini spares), put on "Genuine Moulton Smootha Ride Front/Rear Suspension Cones", "Adjusta Ride Full Car Set" and " Negative Camber & Tracking Rear Brackets pair(from Mini Sport). 

The car is still harsh suspensions. When the car goes into a small pit, the suspension is still very hard and there is a lot of noise and vibration.

I also replaced "TRACK ROD END JOINT MINI / METRO NON GENUINE" (from mini spares).

Despite all these changing parts, what would you recommend for the hard suspension situation? What should be the original height of this vehicle? Thanks.

What wheels are fitted?

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

One of the issues with 13" wheels is the low profile tyres. The tyre wall deflection over bumps is supposed to take up some of the harshness, but a 50 profile tyre can't do that as well as the higher profile tyres on 10" or 12".
To overcome this the ride height needs to be increased by around 2 cm from standard and compliant dampers fitted.
It seems that 13" wheels offer lots of disadvantages with no advantages at all. That is certainly Keith Calver's opinion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users