30 replies to this topic

#16 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:07 PM

It’s not just Minis, there’s good reason why Formula 1 cars don’t have low profile tyres ....

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:09 PM

It’s not just Minis, there’s good reason why Formula 1 cars don’t have low profile tyres ....

And that is just about to change.

#18 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club TURKIYE

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

12" wheels...

#19 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

Hi Everybody;

My Car is 1992 Mini SPI. I have changed my shocks with "Kayaba Gas Upgrade Shocks" (from mini spares), put on "Genuine Moulton Smootha Ride Front/Rear Suspension Cones", "Adjusta Ride Full Car Set" and " Negative Camber & Tracking Rear Brackets pair" (from Mini Sport).
The car is still harsh suspensions. When the car goes into a small pit, the suspension is still very hard and there is a lot of noise and vibration.
I also replaced "TRACK ROD END JOINT MINI / METRO NON GENUINE" (from mini spares).

Despite all these changing parts, what would you recommend for the hard suspension situation? What should be the original height of this vehicle? Thanks.

Kayaba gas-a-justs are a firmer riding shock than standard. You may find softer shocks offer a softer ride or use adjustable ones and dial it in where you want it.

Another thing to consider is that as far as I'm aware, the ajusta-ride alloy trumpets have a flatter flange that contacts the rubber cone (like the original hi-lo). This means more force is needed for the initial squish of the cone compared to a standard trumpet which has a smaller contact flange at an angle away from the cone. This gives a softer initial squish as there's some space to take up before the flange fully contacts.
Now I don't know what the trumpet you get with the smooth-a-ride kit looks like up close, wether it is similar in profile to a standard trumpet or the ajusta-ride/hi-lo etc, but maybe it's worth considering.

When I fit KYB gas-ajust shockies in conjunction with hi-los I'm going for a flatter cornering mini in conjunction with the ability to set the ride height where I like. This means it's firmer than standard and it will firm up over standard shocks and trumpets irrespective of the rubber cones fitted.

All this might be just dribble and it might be worth perhaps asking minisport what the trumpets that come with the smooth-a-ride kit are like in comparison to the ajusta-rides you have fitted and what the shocks are like in that kit.

Having said that, minis are just inherently hard on the suspension and we're not talking a massive difference between one set up or another, not to the extent of a go cart to a Citroen amount of difference. You can basically make a mini a bit softer, or a bit harder in my experience. Unless perhaps you totally change the design, like say fit coil springs (wouldn't dream of it) or go coil-overs.
But that's just what I think. I'm sure it's wrong. :)

#20 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

#21 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

I think you are right,they are not a modern car and the roads have worsened.1960s speed cushions,a traffic management dream.Steve..

#22 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

Thanks Algordo; 

This was excellent help. This is what I bought (adjustaride kit) from "mini sports". As I understand it, I need to buy a red coil springs or coil over kit to my car for a slightly better driving experience. It is necessary to earn some money for this :)) Can you tell the front and rear heights for the standard Mini SPI? Thanks.

#23 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

https://www.minispor...ll-car-set.html

#24 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Algordo;

This was excellent help. This is what I bought (adjustaride kit) from "mini sports". As I understand it, I need to buy a red coil springs or coil over kit to my car for a slightly better driving experience. It is necessary to earn some money for this :)) Can you tell the front and rear heights for the standard Mini SPI? Thanks.

From Calver on ride height:

"Typically a 12" wheeled Mini is 9.75"/248mm from sill to floor and rear is 11.00"/279mm - measured at the sill ends immediately before the arch line/edge curves up."

Coil overs I can't comment on. The replacement coil springs that fit where the rubber cones go are a real source of disagreement amongst classic mini owners. You should do plenty of research before choosing that option. Personally I wouldn't fit them. Some will tell you they are down right dangerous, others will tell you they are great. What puts me off is stories and photos of smashed subframes and shattered coil springs!

Anyway, If you want a softer ride in a classic mini, the easiest and cheapest way is to put 4 adults in it!
That's why they have 'hard' suspension really. The car is designed to take a load upwards of 50+% of the cars empty weight! If they were soft with just 1 person aboard, 4 people and luggage would make them scrape the floor.

Motorcycles have the same problem. The difference in loads between 1 skinny person or 2 fat people is often as much as the bike. On a motorcycle, however you can ajust pre-load on your suspension to compensate. You can't alter pre-load on a mini. Perhaps you can with coil overs fitted? I don't know.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

Thanks Algordo; 

Nope coil springs do not make for a better ride in a Mini. They are the worst thing you can do. They are not fit for purpose.

#26 zcenk

zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

Thanks All;

When you say  "sill to floor"; you mean from centre of wheel to wheel arch top point. Is there any clear diagram or picture pls?

Thanks;

#27 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:37 AM

No - sill to floor.  The from the sill seam that runs along the side of the car (front wheel arch to rear wheel arch, below the door) to the ground.
Measure in the two places as described.

Edited by GraemeC, 26 May 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#28 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

Thanks All;

When you say "sill to floor"; you mean from centre of wheel to wheel arch top point. Is there any clear diagram or picture pls?

Thanks;

No, its measured from the ground to the sill to door step flange. Measurements should be taken with the car on a flat surface.

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

Motorcycles have the same problem. The difference in loads between 1 skinny person or 2 fat people is often as much as the bike. On a motorcycle, however you can ajust pre-load on your suspension to compensate. You can't alter pre-load on a mini. Perhaps you can with coil overs fitted? I don't know.

Totally different and very miss leading. A Mini with the standard set up can easily manage the extra load from 4 passengers and their luggage due to the design of the suspension and the rubber springs. It creates a rising rate design. That is to say the springs get stronger as they are compressed. With coil springs this is not possible as they are linear all you can do is make the the force needed to start them moving higher but the spring is still the same so you just make the ride Harder as the suspension does not want to move.

the whole thing is made worse when having wheels that sit outside of the body and when the car has been lowered.

#30 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Algordo; 

Red-dot CONES not springs .. search on her for the horror stories that coil springs have produced.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users