7 replies to this topic

#1 h9hpj

h9hpj

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:08 PM

Would anyone be able to send me the dimensions of the battery cover please? A picture or diagram would be very useful too as I have access to a laser cutter and can make one out of basic materials. Thanks in advance! :proud:  

#2 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

I'd quite like it if someone could make one out of something other than soggy cardboard! The innocenti minis had nice plastic covers I believe.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

The one in my Cooper 'S' I made from 1.5 mm aluminuim sheet and 1" x 1" aluminium angle. It is rivetted together and is lined with a rubber sheet.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

I made a battery cover from MDF with corner reinforcements then painted to match the colour of the boot floor.

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:13 PM

Posh lot :-)

#6 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

I'd quite like it if someone could make one out of something other than soggy cardboard! The innocenti minis had nice plastic covers I believe.

Plastic cover available on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co....IcAAOSwh41aue5I

Pretty close to the same price as a cardboard one but never seen one so can't say how good quality they are- I might consider the MDF route -  I have (bent) cardboard at the moment in both my cars - one of those thing to do when there isn't something more pressing - hence I have thought about these plastic ones but nervous of the quality until I could see one but can it be much worse than the cardboard which deforms 15 seconds after putting the strap on.....!

DIY - I think it could be usefully made larger if you made it slightly different to standard (from MDF probably); it could cover the clamp bolts better and look neater and maybe fit slightly better especially if like me you use a larger battery (075) which the cover doesn't seem to fit quite as well - in which case the standard dimensions wont be any use at all so not very helpful from me  :ohno:

#7 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

There was a guy on eBay selling a card one that was reinforced with fibreglass resin I did think about it but didn’t buy in the end

It did look good though

#8 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Plastic cover looks good!

I bought a new fibre/cardboard from Somerford at the IMM last year - think its Newton made though - and its already "starting to go".  I think  they're OK if you never mess with them, and they never get wet!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users