Photo
- - - - -

Fitting An Older Engine To A Newer Shell - Catalytic Converter Required?

engine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steve.hems

steve.hems

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong section or if this has already been asked a million times but...

I'm coming towards the end (i think) of my rebuild where i have transferred the engine (1990 -998 on SU carb), interior and running gear from my old rotten shell into a newer shell (1993 MPI, currently listed as a 1275cc). i took the car the for a pre MOT inspection and i was told because i have a newer shell on an older engine i will need to either fit a catalytic converter or demonstrate to the garage that it does not require a cat.

My intention is to update the DVLA records but was also wondering how i get around the whole cat situation? I assummed that a catalytic converter and carb don't really mix? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steve

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:50 PM

The person testing should retake the MOT test!

The emissions are tested on whichever is older, car or engine... So depending on the engine you have fitted (A, or A+, but also dependant on year) will depend on what %CO they use.

For example a pre 1975 MY engine is visual test only.

My 1980 Clubman Estate is 4.5%CO maximum, regardless of what engine is fitted.

My 1989 and 1993 cars are 3.0%CO BUT the 1993 car doesn't need a cat as it is a carburettor fed engine.

Your engine should be set to 3.0%CO, doesn't need a CAT either. (because it is an older engine)

Make sure you have the engine number fitted. A 998 engine was last fitted in 1989, just FYI.

Edited by cal844, 22 July 2020 - 08:08 PM.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

I was under the impression that it is up to the presenter to provide proof of the engine age.Testing should be done according to the oldest either car or engine but you have to supply proof.Steve..

#4 steve.hems

steve.hems

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:57 PM

Thanks guys! Also thanks @cal844 for repeating!

#5 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

Hum, MPI did not come out until 1996. If fuel injection then probably a typo and OP means SPI. Being a 1993, it possible it could have been last of the HIF44 before SPI. Anyone know what year cat's became standard? I assume when they moved from carbs to ECU.

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:35 AM

The emissions should be tested to the age of the engine that is fitted for a pre sept 2002 car. It's down to the vehicle presenter to prove the age of the engine to the tester. The manual used to state that a letter from the engine manufacturer would be acceptable but that doesn't appear to be in there anymore. Don't think that just having the engine no. is any use as proof of age as the tester doesn't have access to that sort of info.

Attached Files

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:55 AM

If you still have your old V5 and it has the engine number on it and the engine number is on the engine.

there is your proof.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users