224 replies to this topic

#166 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

The ECU is self-learning to a certain extent.
All the sensors and adjustments need to be within spec for it to do this with no air leaks.
Terry

Ok thanks Terry 👍🏻

#167 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:41 AM

When I Actually drove the car yesterday I noticed the Brakes are abit spongey which got me thinking The vacume pipe that goes from the brake servo into the manifold ? I removed it out of the manifold by pressing the red thingy and it reved its socks off!!! I noticed a non return valve on it aswell which way should the arrow point ? Just a thought.

#168 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:12 PM

The servo pipe is hard nylon or some other plastic, it will only fit one way unless it has been replaced with something else.

Attached File  s-l1600.jpg   56.88K   1 downloads

#169 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:32 PM

The servo pipe is hard nylon or some other plastic, it will only fit one way unless it has been replaced with something else.

s-l1600.jpg

R yes that looks the same, thank you mate 👍🏻

#170 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:33 PM

This thread is getting long, so I am not sure what all has been suggested and tested to this point.

With the car being over twenty years old, it might make sense to replace al the rubber hoses. Somerford has almost all of them in stock at this point.

I was going to show where i would pinch the hose to block the purge valve, but I found the hose to be pretty hard and it may not have survived the pinching. I ordered a replcment from Somerford to have on hand.

I would be curious to know if you have tried closing the butterfly with the throttle screw all the way and what the reading for steps is when trying this.

Terry

#171 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:35 PM

This thread is getting long, so I am not sure what all has been suggested and tested to this point.

With the car being over twenty years old, it might make sense to replace al the rubber hoses. Somerford has almost all of them in stock at this point.
I was going to show where i would pinch the hose to block the purge valve, but I found the hose to be pretty hard and it may not have survived the pinching. I ordered a replcment from Somerford to have on hand.

I would be curious to know if you have tried closing the butterfly with the throttle screw all the way and what the reading for steps is when trying this.
Terry

Thank you Terry
Been up today again and couldn’t resist having a play again, I’ve replaced the whole engine loom for the original which I know works fine, got it running nice very slight delay in the revs dropping but not slot at all, have noticed really load hissing around throttle area suspected air leak but can’t find it for the life of me, I did manage to get a reading of 36 steps on the diagnostic but wouldn’t allow me to adjust it, I’ve literally wound the throttle screw so it’s not touching and still 36 steps, as I left it to tonigjt seems to run a lot better but does have slight popping at exhaust end which it didn’t, only thing that’s different from when it ran perfect is the lcb manifold which doesn’t apear to be leaking, I’ve used propane, smoke and break cleaner to look for leaks

Edited by leepol83, 21 December 2020 - 10:36 PM.

#172 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:43 PM

Just to add Ive noticed that my rocker cover is leaking a little would this make any difference?
Also it keeps boiling over out of the header tank, not sure if this is just an air lock as it doesn’t over heat as such the gauge is fine ?

Edited by leepol83, 21 December 2020 - 10:43 PM.

#173 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:57 PM

Also it keeps boiling over out of the header tank, not sure if this is just an air lock as it doesn’t over heat as such the gauge is fine ?

Loosely put a sheet of polythene over the neck of the expansion tank before screwing the cap on.

If it doesn't boil over, after that, it confirms your old cap is Donald Ducked.

Avoid cheap, generic replacements like the plague.

Get a BMW one with the blue seal and that problem will be sorted.

#174 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:54 PM

Loosely put a sheet of polythene over the neck of the expansion tank before screwing the cap on.
If it doesn't boil over, after that, it confirms your old cap is Donald Ducked.
Avoid cheap, generic replacements like the plague.
Get a BMW one with the blue seal and that problem will be sorted.

Thank you what’s the bmw one ? Do you mean a cap ?

#175 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:17 AM

Yes, the expansion tank cap. I tried three new internet bought ones. None of which held pressure. Finally got a BMW one, with blue coloured seal, from Russ, at Croydon Minis. Problem solved!

Attached Files

#176 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

Yes, the expansion tank cap. I tried three new internet bought ones. None of which held pressure. Finally got a BMW one, with blue coloured seal, from Russ, at Croydon Minis. Problem solved!

R right got ya cool, funny you say that this one is a cheap internet one and does seep out when it boils up and if I keep screwing it down it just pops off ?

#177 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:26 AM

R right got ya cool, funny you say that this one is a cheap internet one and does seep out when it boils up and if I keep screwing it down it just pops off ?

Is it this
https://www.ebay.co....tm/154236382904

#178 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:40 AM

Found the spec on it can someone just confirm it’ll be ok before I order it :-

Original Blue Print spare part - Right First Time
Please use the vehicle identification at the top of the page to confirm compatibility with your vehicle. All restrictions must be observed!
Outer Diameter: 53,6 mm; Outer Diameter: 42,8 mm; Colour: black; Material: PA (Polyamide); Opening Pressure: 1,15 Bar; Weight: 0,032 kg
OE numbers (for comparison purposes only): Mini (BMW) 17 10 7 515 499
among others suitable for: Mini (BMW): Cooper (R52), Cooper (R53), One (R50)

#179 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:07 PM

It looks like the right one but it is a pattern part. That doesn't mean it's duff, but it might be.

Looking on the R50/R53 forum they seem to be suffering the same issues with copy caps that don't maintain sufficient pressure to stop it boiling over.

"Buy right, buy once."

Edited by Quinlan minor, 22 December 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#180 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

How about this can’t see if it has the blue seal but looks genuine, are you sure it’ll be ok as says the models but doesn’t mention the classic mini, assuming it’ll operate properly if pressure builds up ?
https://www.ebay.co....tm/352495531463

Thanks for youre help

Edited by leepol83, 22 December 2020 - 12:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users