1 reply to this topic

#1 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:10 PM

Just acquired a 1098 Mini Clubman estate to restore.which has a very smokey engine. i understand this is a common problem. i would like to use the car for a few months whilst i get all the parts together but it would not pass any MOT test with this level of smoke.

At tickover no smoke but rev it and the rear disappears in a big blue cloud. The car drives ok

If i take off the oil filler cover on tickover  the engine does not speed up which suggests blocked crankcase vent. Reving with cover still off is just as smokey .i will be taking the vent off to wash it out

Previous owner advised he had changed the cylinder head in case it was valve stem seals but it made no difference  to the amount of smoke.

Suspecting bad bores or a piston gone i did a compression test. All cylinders were over 13 bar which is what i would expect in a good engine,

Car has only done 1700 miles in last 6 years so i am suspecting gummed up rings so intend to pour in some redex to hopefully free up the rings.

Does anyone have any experience of this and any suggestions as to what other checks i can make before pulling the unit

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:55 PM

Pour some diesel down the bores and let it work in for a week, topping it up as needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users