38 replies to this topic

#16 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

It was the A032 that I was thinking of that are road legal. My bad sorry.

#17 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:33 PM

I feel compelled to do the 'keep English Pure' thing and point out that a 'Tire' is what our revolting colonists put on their automobiles. We use 'Tyres' on cars in this country. 

#18 The-evil-GT

The-evil-GT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

It was the A032 that I was thinking of that are road legal. My bad sorry.

That’s no problem 🙂

#19 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

To actually answer your question, 

Yoko A539, great all round tire I've found. Can't go wrong. 165 / 60 12

#20 The-evil-GT

The-evil-GT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

To actually answer your question,

Yoko A539, great all round tire I've found. Can't go wrong. 165 / 60 12

Cheers mate

#21 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:11 PM

Another vote for the A539, great tyres but rubbish in winter as they won't get warm enough

#22 The-evil-GT

The-evil-GT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:17 PM

Another vote for the A539, great tyres but rubbish in winter as they won't get warm enough

Yeah , I’m looking for a good set of all season tyres as half my family live in South Wales and if it’s not raining it’s snowing , I must admit though I do like the look a539s , I just like the kind of odd tread pattern they have

#23 The-evil-GT

The-evil-GT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yeah , I’m looking for a good set of all season tyres as half my family live in South Wales and if it’s not raining it’s snowing , I must admit though I do like the look a539s , I just like the kind of odd tread pattern they have

After looking all over the internet it almost appears like nobody makes an all season tire for anything under r14

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:35 PM

539s are great tyres, but it really depends what you want them for. Expensive for just getting from A to B, Nankangs could save you £100 & give better mileage.

Take the point on the E marking, but it'd make any dispute with MoT testers, police & especially insurers more likely to go your way.

Pretty sure continuous tread doesn't mean continuous groove, there's been a lot of illegal tractors & military vehicles if it does. I've always read it as all  the grooves that are within the prescribed width must be at least the minimum depth all the way round the circumference.

i.e there'll always be al least one 1.6mm groove in the contact patch.

Nankang SV3 - 12" winter tyre

#25 The-evil-GT

The-evil-GT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:42 PM

Pretty sure continuous tread doesn't mean continuous groove, there's been a lot of illegal tractors & military vehicles if it does. I've always read it as all the grooves that are within the prescribed width must be at least the minimum depth all the way round the circumference.

The dot say it’s a continuous band “ so I always assumed it mean a groove of minimum of 1.6mm groove continuously around the tyre .I think tractors and military vehicles get exemptions because of their use , in the same way that they are exempt from mot style testing

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:08 PM

Military vehicles aren't exempt from construction & use regulations. Some tractors can have MoT exemption , but there are plenty that do enough time on roads that they're not. The tread is surely the rubber, not the air between it, nobody owns that  :P

E markings make it a moot argument as any grooves, or lack of them, are approved as long as they're still 1.6mm deep.

#27 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:29 AM

Think it's time to ask Blockley to start making some 12's as they do for those with 10's. With the lack of 12's available on the market (which will only get worse), it may be worth their while.

#28 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:21 PM

We're really compromised on choice for 12" tyres in the British Isles.  A539s are about as good as it gets.  As said, they are very good on dry summer roads, you need to be a little wary in the wet and cold though.  Get them from minispares with your TMF discount, it's about the best deal around.

#29 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

We're really compromised on choice for 12" tyres in the British Isles.  A539s are about as good as it gets.  As said, they are very good on dry summer roads, you need to be a little wary in the wet and cold though.  Get them from minispares with your TMF discount, it's about the best deal around.

Got to agree with the above, the tyres are decent, I had a set on my kit car, not great dry grip ( in comparison to others) but in the wet not bad. And let's be honest how many people drive there minis hard enough to find the limits of the tyres except in a off road situation

Shooter

#30 sclemow

sclemow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Another vote for A539's. I've always used them all year round on 12inch wheels. A hell of a lot better than the vanity Dunlop R7's on my 10's!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users