#1 KBazza

KBazza

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to identitify the engine in my mini (originally a 1978 mini 850), the guy I brought it from said it's a 1275cc overbored to 1293.

After checking the block casting number (12G1279) and the head number  (12g940) (I think, difficult to tell as it has been ground away); would I be right in saying that it may be a 1275gt engine?

Are there any other ways I could confirm this?

Any help would be appriciated,

Cheers =]

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

That block casting is a standard A series block 1275 with solid tappet chests, which was also used for the 1275GT. The head is standard casting for a 1275.

Edited by whistler, 07 July 2021 - 10:25 AM.

#3 KBazza

KBazza

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, that’s good to know. Excuse my ignorance, I’m not sure I know what a tappet chest is haha

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:09 PM

I wouldn't get too hung up on it being a GT engine or not. It's a 1275 engine, the basis of which is the same as any other 1275 engine, save a few parts difference between any of them and not difficult or overly expensive to change and end up with any spec engine you'd like.

The Tappet Chest is the part of the block that (when fitted in a Mini) is on the back of the engine, more or less under where the exhaust manifold goes over. In that part of the engine is the Tappets (or Cam Followers). Many A Series Engines made had separate covers here, but it's only the non-Cooper S version of the 1275 that didn't have removable covers. Personally, I think these are a better block than all others.

#5 KBazza

KBazza

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

I wouldn't get too hung up on it being a GT engine or not. It's a 1275 engine, the basis of which is the same as any other 1275 engine, save a few parts difference between any of them and not difficult or overly expensive to change and end up with any spec engine you'd like.

The Tappet Chest is the part of the block that (when fitted in a Mini) is on the back of the engine, more or less under where the exhaust manifold goes over. In that part of the engine is the Tappets (or Cam Followers). Many A Series Engines made had separate covers here, but it's only the non-Cooper S version of the 1275 that didn't have removable covers. Personally, I think these are a better block than all others.

Ah right that makes a lot more sense now, just got to fix it up now haha, been sitting outside for 20 years  >_< don't even get me started on the state of the shell  :o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users