#1 United Kingdom

United Kingdom

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

New mini owner here, just picked up a 1972 Mini 1000, garage stored and unused for over 20 years!

Just started to check out the electrics and have a couple of things I'd like some help with to get me going.

1. I have firstly noticed that the high beam warning lamp isn't working (headlight high beam is ok), so i need to get to the back of the cluster to check/replace the bulb. Is there an easy way to remove the triple centre cluster? Looks like the cardboard trim around needs to come out first but don't want to damage it obviously!

2. There are two amber warning lights at 3 and 9 oclock on the speedo, which don't seem to do anything, I was expecting one to be low oil pressure warning, but after some googling it's possible both aren't used...

Any help would be much appreciated

Ian

#2 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:37 PM

Hello

1.  Yes : if you want to remove the centre cluster you have to remove the trim. There is 6 screws that holds it to the bulkhead. My opinion is that more simple to check the bulbs through the bulkhead opening, from behind the carburettor.

MAybe you'll need to remove the air filter.

2. I believe the two amber lights weren't used on the triple-gauge binnacles. They just left the "lenses" there without modify the manufacturing, I've split my direction indicator warning lights for that two lights  :proud:

#3 MiniFanGraham

MiniFanGraham

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:43 PM

Hello, In my garage have a 1972 mini was 1000 now has 1275

so yes can confirm what gaspen said
1. can access centre console bulbs from engine bay through bulkhead hole - just pull them out only held in by spring

2. amber lights were unused - you can view the empty holes or blocked up holes from bulkhead hole

#4 United Kingdom

United Kingdom

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:43 AM

Thank guys!

I'll move the airfilter and have a look!

Separate question, the temp gauge doesn't appear to be working, but engine warms up well. Shorting out the sender shows no needle movement so will try and check continuity from sender to the gauge.

Any other likely causes? Do the gauges fail?

Thanks

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:55 AM

One was operated by the oil filter bypass valve, the other the oil pressure switch. The first was dropped along with the paper element oil filter, the second isn't used if there's an oil pressure gauge instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users