7 replies to this topic

#1 Cosprint3D

Cosprint3D

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:17 PM

I've got a 998 mini and I know it has a different inlet and LCB manifold e.t.c. but everything else seems to be completely standard, I never thought anything of it but then recently I've read a lot about top speeds in a 998 and mine will very easily get off the clock with 3 adults in it (none of us are small either) and I've even checked my speedo against multiple GPS readouts from phones e.t.c. and its within a few % of being accurate.

my question is whether that's possible from a simple stage 1 kit (lcb, carb pin, inlet e.t.c.) or if that means that I've got more modifications internally I'm unaware of. I'm about to buy a 1275 MG metro engine and from what I've read in most places it seems like the metro 1275 while standard is only performing around the same as what my 998 seems to be doing.

Edited by Cosprint3D, 04 November 2021 - 12:22 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

Keep the 998 imo, they're great engines

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 02:54 PM

A sounds 998 with a stage one is better then any risky 1275. Unless you can drive it before you buy the engine. Keep the 998 gets my vote too

#4 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

I assume it is a 998 High Compression (99H....)? Personally, I don't like Low compression 998s.

A Cooper free flow manifold might be a better choice, as you will want bags of torque at low RPM. I marginally prefer a Manifold exhaust, having fitted an RC40. I found it MUCH easier to fit. Buy stainless.

I have a Minispares lightened flywheel on mine, which was a game changer.

Mine has a 3.4 diff, which is fine for tootling around, but gets a bit mad on the motorway, howeverI don't think you are anywhere near a motorway in Redruth.

Read some Vizard and you will discover good advice.

Regular oil changes are a must-mine is on 189000 miles, which is much more than I expected.

Don't forget your insurance company will want to hear about any changes

Enjoy.

#5 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:47 PM

I think its gone some internal modifications. Mines bog standard except for stage 1, granted the piston rings are worn but its hard work getting it to 50  :D

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:05 PM

Do some checks on the 998 to get a better idea of what's been done to it, it would have to have some moderate to considerate work done to it to go as well as what you are finding.

Also, check that it is in fact a 998. It may well have a 1098 Crankshaft fitted (and therefore be 1098 cc and change), or it maybe a 1275 that has been fitted with a 998 engine tag.

#7 fokko

fokko

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:57 PM

Some clear pictures of the engine would help. And what top speed are you exactly talking about? Is that on a flat road without any significant wind influence?

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 04:01 PM

My 998 can go off the clock but then that’s only 90 lol high comp 998 with a stage one. It is absolutely screaming by that point though

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users