#1 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1968 1275cc mini and when i got the car it would start and run fine. A couple months later I moved across the country and had the car shipped over. When the car showed up it would no longer start (The starter would click but never turn over). I replaced the spark plugs and played with the timing a bit and was able to get the engine to turn over. Now it will start and idle for about five seconds and than stalls out. I am new to the mini scene and classic cars in general so I am not sure where to start when it comes to troubleshooting the issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

#2 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:12 AM

Perhaps the fuel pump has died? If you have an SU carb, open up the fuel bowl and check it's full of fuel

#3 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:27 PM

The engine has duel SU carbs. I opened them up and it looks like the bowl is about 60% full of fuel. Is that too low? I can also feel the pump running when the engine is cranking so i know its doing something.

Attached Files

Edited by Yona, 26 November 2021 - 05:37 PM.

#4 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:02 PM

Make sure the carb pistons are free to move easily. Try lifting each one in turn with your finger and watch them return, they should be nice and smooth as they drop back down. Also make sure there is oil in the dash pots, engine oil is usually fine.

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:05 PM

That does appear to be about the right level once the floats are in the chamber.

Is the fuel orange or is that just the reflection from the float? Is the fuel months old? If it’s been sitting for a long time (and contains ethanol) it may have gone stale

Is the choke mechanism all working ok & lowering the jets to allow more fuel when it’s cold?

I’m still trying to think of anything else that’d cause it to stall once running

#6 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:37 PM

I checked the carb pistons they lower fine and at a very similar rate. I checked the dash pot oil and that looks fine. I can also feel resistance when I reinsert the dash pot plunger. The fuel is not orange its just the image. I put new fuel in a couple of weeks ago when I attempted to start the car after it was moved. I am not sure how to check the choke mechanism. Do I need to remove the dash pot and look at the jet?

#7 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

The engine tends to crank for a little while before it turns over (about 10 seconds on average). I also noticed that as soon as I press the throttle while its idling it dies. I'm not sure if that helps diagnose whats going on.

Edited by Yona, 26 November 2021 - 07:49 PM.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:11 PM

The engine tends to crank for a little while before it turns over (about 10 seconds on average). I also noticed that as soon as I press the throttle while its idling it dies. I'm not sure if that helps diagnose whats going on.

Maybe, top up the dashpot oil as a start point, then go from there

#9 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:57 AM

From your original post you could have a few things going on.  I agree the fuel is most likely culprit - but it may be being made worse by some ignition issues

"thestarter would click but not turn over"  - check battery condition , battery terminals, earth strap and starter motor or solenoid ----- it now seems to be turning over , so starter side seems ok - but is it turning over fast enough?

'played with the timing a bit' - too retarded possible backfire, too advanced and harder to start?

on the fuel side- just as timmy was concerned with the age of the fuel and stuck choke- you may need to check your needle/ bridge and needle float valve to make sure not gummed up or water in bowls

have you tried with the fuel cap off - if pressurised the fuel tank makes it harder for fuel pump to draw fuel - possible blocked vent -

i would also leave the air-filters off until you have a positive start ( just in case air restrictions)

whatever you choose to do, be methodical and only change one thing at a time, so you can a) revert changes if required B0 be fairly certain what change fixes the problem. Good luck- hopefully an easy fix

#10 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:56 PM

So I took the dash pot off of the carbs to make sure the choke cable was actually lowering the jet. It looks like it is working fine. I did notice that one of the jets is a bit lower than the other. To the point where I can tell just by looking at it. Is this normal? Or should they be the same height for both carbs?

#11 Yona

Yona

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:51 AM

Ok, So i lowered the jet a bit on the left carburetor and the engine was able to start. However the idle is really rough and I can see some smoke coming from the engine (looks like under the intake manifold). I am thinking there is a leak in the intake gasket or the head gasket. Does anyone know a good way to check and figure out where the smoke is coming from? It becomes really hard to see in the back of the engine bay while the car is running.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users