361 replies to this topic

#1 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:53 PM

Finally got around to starting the build diary, pics of the shell as it was when I moved in:

full outer shot

01-full-outer.jpg

front end

02-front-end.jpg

front valence

03-front-valence.jpg

engine bay

04-engine-bay.jpg

inner wings

05-inner-wing-NS.jpg

06-inner-wing-OS.jpg

Offside outer step and A pillar

07-A-panel-Step-OS-closeup.jpg

Offside outer sills

08-outer-sill-OS-front.jpg

09-outer-sill-OS-rear.jpg

Offside rear quarter panel

10-rear-quarter-nr-door-OS.jpg

11-rear-quarter-near-seam-OS.jpg

Rear valence

12-rear-valence.jpg

Boot floor

13-boot-floor-NS.jpg

14-boot-floor-OS.jpg

15-boot-door-inside-edge-NS.jpg

16-boot-door-inside-edge-OS.jpg

Nearside rear quarter

Seller told me a heavy fence panel fell on this seam hence the dent but we have ways of pulling that back straight I don't see it being a major drama

17-rear-quarter-NS-seam.jpg

18-rear-quarter-nr-door-NS.jpg

Nearside outer sills

19-outer-sill-NS-front.jpg

20-outer-sill-NS-rear.jpg

Nearside outer step

21-Step-NS.jpg

Back seats

27-back-seats.jpg

Bulkhead:

28-bulkhead-inside.jpg

Roof

22-roof-gully-front.jpg
23-roof-gully-NS.jpg
24-roof-gully-OS.jpg
25-roof-gully-rear.jpg

26-sunroof.jpg

shortly after these pics I finished stripping it so it's now a totally bare shell. with exception of sunroof left in for now so the cover doesn't sag and puddle up in the rain

Floorpan is totally stripped of sound deadening as well, that'll feature in the background of future pics no doubt

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 May 2022 - 08:22 PM.

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:55 PM

Engine after a brief initial scrub down

20220129-123346.jpg

20220129-115043.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 19 October 2023 - 10:20 AM.

#3 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:57 PM

main loom after re-wrapping, deleting dim-dip, adding a connector for radio power, moving the rear loom connections to inside the bulkhead, adding in wiring for spots.

have added an 8-way blade fuse type box as well to modernise slightly

rear loom is done as well, all completed after this pic but you get the idea

post-3-loom.jpg

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:15 PM

Twin HS2's picked up off ebay for £60

20220128-173047.jpg

20220128-173704.jpg

I did give them a bit of a basic cleanup after that, and obviously will be totally rebuilt

also picked up a 202 head for £50, got a quote for £250 to skim it and reseat the valves for unleaded. 

Plus some port work at an hourly rate tbc

That, with a slightly more exciting cam and a tune up, should pretty much do the trick

Edited by stuart bowes, 11 February 2022 - 12:04 AM.

#5 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 07:39 PM

That shell doesn't look too bad. What are your plans for this build?

Victor.

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:31 PM

thanks, yeah it is pretty decent for it's age, just a few little issues here and there

the roof is really good.  maybe an odd thing to get excited about but I've heard they're a nightmare to get right if you try and repair them

It's a project me and my dad are working on, my first mini, his first in a few years (had a few when he was younger)

general plan is

a) get a lot better at welding

b) get the shell back to good condition with no rust and protected against future issues (heritage panels where possible)

c) have a go at painting it ourselves, current thinking is dark grey / anthracite with yellow/gold detailing and maybe a stripe

d) get the engine working well either with the bits mentioned above or give up and leave it standard but running well

e) tasteful pretty basic interior maybe some simple white-backed dials on a nice wooden dash, some nice little bucket seats, change the rear belts to 3 point (currently debating whether to cage it or not)

f) drive it around for a year or so maybe, enjoy a bit of mini fun

and then g) before we do any damage think about moving it on (hopefully at least breaking even) and look for the next project which might be a better mini or something else a bit classic 

it's our first full nut and bolt rebuild but we've both done a lot of work on cars so we're not totally clueless thankfully lol

if it was just me I'd cut out the back seat lip, full 6 point cage, just front seats and try and find a redtop vauxhall engine.  it's annoying because I used to have one but I sold it, went to a good home though in an f3 car and actually got raced so I didnt feel bad about it.  I suppose a honda would do it unless a zetec would go in, they run lovely on twin webers....

Anyway my dad really isn't into all that craziness so just standard for this one, maybe I'll convince him of an engine swap on the next build who knows

Edited by stuart bowes, 16 February 2022 - 09:20 AM.

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 05:14 PM

crap weather and various band commitments have caused this to stall slightly but some little updates in other areas:

we've bought a little trolley and we're making it into a welder cart, all fitted out with the big gas bottle and tools etc fitted so moving that around is a lot easier.  had to purchase a better regulator the old one was dogsh1t

kitted out the driveway area with an extension to the air line so that's quickly and easily available.  also added a 2nd line to the unregulated output with a moisture capturing regulator ready for the distant future when we start spraying things (can have a play with the spray gun in the mean time to get the hang of it)

stockpiling a few extra tools and cutting discs / drill bits etc.. spot weld removal bits, nibbler, new plug in drill so I don't have to keep charging up the batteries (metal work takes it out of the poor old thing).

been playing with the welder indoors for a while just practising welding old scraps together

looking at plasma cutters but not really convinced it will be necessary and we're really starting to run low on space

annual leave booked 11th-15th so hopefully one or two actual on-car updates around that time

Edited by stuart bowes, 03 April 2022 - 05:26 PM.

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 04:43 PM

finally got round to getting out the grinder and welding kit

chose somewhere to start, the rusty section at the bottom behind the A panel.  had already been plated over and welded really lumpy and crap so cut that out and did a slightly better attempt:

20220416-145757.jpg

20220416-145836.jpg

20220416-162447.jpg

well it's not perfect yet but I'll have another go over it at some point before a skim of filler and priming.  it's solid anyway.   bottom edge to be trimmed when outer sill fitted

then I cut out the front section of the inner sill / step / front half of outer sill

20220417-151147.jpg

20220417-151136.jpg

cut away all the rusty crap and followed up with kurust (after picture taken)

next job fabricate a blanking piece for the crossmember and cut / weld in the inner sill section.

then fit the new step / cut out the rear inner sill + replace / remove rest of outer sill + fit new

Edited by stuart bowes, 20 April 2022 - 06:20 PM.

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 05:11 PM

keeping the bits that get cut out, because they're useful for welding practice.

new sheet metal to old metal, getting welder settings right for good penetration and practising a steady hand / not blowing holes / filling them in again if and when it happens

20220418-180314.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 18 April 2022 - 05:11 PM.

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 10:42 PM

small update have replaced the rotten bits of inner sill on the drivers side

012.jpg

not 100% happy with the welding yet so am taking time over grinding down, filling tiny holes, grinding again, making sure only grinding the weld and not thinning out the steel.  which is taking a lot of time

but this is my 'learning' side and all lessons from this will be transferred to other areas 

probably what's taking the most time is learning not to blow holes and how to correct it when I do

already straight away though you can see improvement from 1st patch (right side) to second patch (left)

and the outside view which I'm not quite so proud of due to being a bit of a mess

011.jpg

even though the step and outer sill will cover it, it still needs tidying up more, and then it'll be undersealed before being enclosed

it's not the prettiest you'll see I grant you but it's straight, and 100% solid that's what really matters I guess

Edited by stuart bowes, 30 October 2022 - 06:47 PM.

#11 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:52 PM

cut this bit back off because sometimes you just have to be ready to admit when something is sh.t and start again.  probably going to just buy a flitch panel and cut out the bit I need.  worth it in the long run.  plus I realised it was getting in the way of work anyway that's another reason to go back a step

13.jpg

finished off tidying up the outside of the inner sill as best as is really necessary seeing as it's hidden anyway.  structurally sound is good enough for me

14.jpg

cut and started prepping the replacement section of the step.  magnum panels really are crap aren't they.  gonna take some fettling to make it match up

15.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 May 2022 - 03:53 PM.

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:00 PM

close of up the problem

15.jpg

granted they probably expect you to replace the whole step but in my case that just isn't necessary, plus I feel like the less I cut out at one time the more likely I am to keep the shell in the right shape

I'll make it work, it's just a bit of a faff

#13 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

I think the magnum step panel is actually designed to be an over the top panel, thats placed over the existing step.

Its not an exact match for repairing with a butt weld, but if you cut from the start of the curve you can get it to match pretty good.

#14 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:51 PM

inside welds ground back as far as I dare without risking thinning of metal sheet

sprayed with a quick dash of primer for an idea of what it will look like painted

20220606-173315.jpg

#15 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 05:16 PM

Step welded in easier than expected, just needed the bends to be adjusted slightly and welded in one ledge at a time bending as I went

join still visible at this point, final smoothing and a dab of filler required to smooth out at the A post, but primed and moving on for now 

Door refitted temporarily and gaps are spot on

20220607-153853.jpg

Also tentatively cut out the bulk of the rear quarter to investigate insides for now

will remove at the seams and probably replace whole panel (already got, heritage) but preferred to go easy and leave myself options around the B pillar to maintain shut lines, that bit is fully solid and no filler 

20220607-153758.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 07 June 2022 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users