4 replies to this topic

#1 Bambino1345

Bambino1345

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:09 AM

I have a '94 Sprite I bought from the Uk which is RHD, which is donating its engine to a '74 1000 that I bought as a fully disassembled project here in Finland.

Living in Finland, I am building up the '74 as left hand drive, taking the engine and gearbox from the '94 as it is running and drove me all the way from Kings Lynn to Helsinki with no troubles.

The problem is, the '74 was bought as a naked body shell and 5 big boxes of assorted parts, thrown in willy nilly. The previous owner had stripped the car to restore it, not labeled anything, not kept or sorted any bolts, and even more crucially, not told me what parts he threw away (I have discovered some brake lines missing, for example).

I have the standard Haynes manual and also the restoration manual, but both only exemplify RHD models.

I have no point of reference for what are the differences for RHD and LHD in terms of part placement etc.

I know that the wiper motor will probably be on the other side, but WHAT ELSE?

I have seen one picture of a LHD mini engine bay with the brake and clutch master cylinders on the left hand side of the car. I am assuming that the difference in brake setup extends only this far, with an extra/different brake line taking the fluid from the cylinder to the other side of the engine bay and then down to the splitter on the front subframe? Or is the splitter also moved to the left hand side of the subframe? How many additional lines, and of what length are needed? I am buying brake liens that are already made to length with fittings on them, so measurements for the line lengths I need are greatly appreciated!

Brake lines I currently have: 

- The long one that runs from front to back

- 61cm length (I think from the splitter to the hoses on the rear subframe?)

- 112cm length (I think for the front subframe?)

All the line drawings I can find only show RHD setups so I am really struggling to figure out what lines I need to get and where they go! 

Also, please advise any additional differences between RHD and LHD that I can expect to walk into during the build.

It is a bit difficult trying to build up from scratch, not having been the one to take it apart and seeing where all the different parts come from etc.

Additionally, please link or add any and all pictures of your LHD Minis and their engine bay's or undersides or anything that can help me see what goes where and how! And all pics of your 1974 Mini 1000's as well so I can maintain hope that mine will soon be finished too!

Many thanks!

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:08 PM

there's a bit of discussion here:

https://www.theminif...lhd-conversion/

and here:

https://www.northame...hand-drive.html

#3 Pairaminis

Pairaminis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:33 PM

My engine bay with RHD to LHD brake set up - before and after.

Attached File  IMG_0004 1_1.jpg   106K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0002.jpg   92.75K   1 downloads

Edited by Pairaminis, 16 May 2022 - 12:34 PM.

#4 D 'n A

D 'n A

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:19 PM

I had both LHD and RHD Mini's and the wipers where not always on the opposite side.

Good luck with the puzzle! Once its finished you'll know your car inside out!

#5 PeterG

PeterG

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:05 PM

I changed mine about 15 years ago here in the US 92 SPi so it has the brake servo on the right hand s\ide.

Need new pedals, (all three), and for the brakes the slave bracket for the right hand location where the pedal used to mount. The brake pedal has a shaft that goes across the bulkhead inside the car above the heater. The heater box dropped down to a lower set of hooks to give clearance. If you don't have the later servo you just need to have the correct LHD brake pedal and bolt the mc directly to the LHD location.

Clutch mc moves over but needs a longer hydraulic line from the mc to the hose location.

Wipers relocate to the left, mounting points are already there. Just remove the wheel boxes and turn them over to use the LHD holes in the panel. Left hand wiper arms needed. The wiper harness flips over from the center to the left.

LHD steering rack required. Steering column moves over complete and harnesses flip over right to left. The "wedge" piece under the parcel shelf flips over and re-attaches to the parcel shelf.

The hardest part to find was thew 3 dial gauge mounting bracket. If you have a center speedo no problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users