9 replies to this topic

#1 AlBee

AlBee

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:20 PM

1996 SPI Mini Sprite. It’s got the 24 blade fuse box on the bulkhead and the relay pack (mounting lugs broken, of course!). First question is, are there any other fuse boxes hidden away anywhere? I’ve found various mentions of a second fuse box in the passenger footwell somewhere but I can’t find anything. Second question is how do I tell if it’s actually fitted with an immobiliser? No key fob when bought, and clearly haven’t needed it but have also read mention of workarounds that can play up and cause issues.

Bought the car very recently, but it’s been running fine.

Issue:

However, I managed to briefly short the 2 threaded posts on the starter motor. Now, when the key is turned in the ignition, literally nothing happens, no warning lights, no fuel pump run, no clicking or whirring.

What has been done:

New battery fitted

Boot and engine earths checked

12v confirmed to starter

12v confirmed to alternator

12v confirmed on 2 brown wires into relay pack

No voltage confirmed on the live feed to the ignition switch (what I don’t know is what route the live feed should take to get to the ignition switch, or how to find it, so can’t work out where it gets to / stops)

Applying live direct to fuse 11 in blade fuse box runs the fuel pump

Applying live direct to fuse 10 in blade fuse box results in warning lights on the dash and allows me to turn the car over when ignition turned to crank

Question is, what have I blown and how do I trace it?! I’ve trawled the threads in this forum but nothing quite fits with the problem I have. Also, most of the replies assume familiarity with the electrical system that I don’t yet have. Any help explained as simply as possible and preferably with pictures would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance

#2 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:58 AM

can't remember there being another fuse box in my 94 spi, but the immobiliser is a black box in the car behind the dash panel at about the centre. remove cardboard cover you will see it. never looked into how this worked though, sorry

#3 AlBee

AlBee

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, I’ll take a look to see if I can find anything. Bit concerned about what it would mean if there is one fitted…

#4 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:00 PM

Only working from a wiring diagram there appears to be a 30A  fusible link, link 2, in the 24 way fusebox that feeds the ignition switch. 

As there is nothing happening when the ignition switch is turned this link may open circuit. It reads as a fusable link so will not have the same appearance as a fuse but might look like a " flat strip" of metal.

I am not 100% of this as I am only working from the wiring diagram but I hope it helps.

#5 AlBee

AlBee

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Had a look at the fuse box but definitely nothing more than the blade fuses unfortunately. 

I did find this behind the lining in the glovebox though, is that an immobiliser?

https://live.staticf...c9ea5ae7c_m.jpg

#6 PeterG

PeterG

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 08:21 PM

The fusible links are a short piece of wire with a non-flammable insulation that attach to the starter junction along with the positive battery wire. The fusible link will melt inside its insulation and break the circuit at the same time protecting the rest of the harness. If a fusible link is blown you have to cut it out and replace with a new one.

#7 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 04:48 AM

I found the plug of the steering column loom was only slightly attached on a mini I had bought
It completely detached itself one night and flummoxed me for a bit the next day when it would not start.
I was more concerned about what might have happened on the M4 driving it home
Use Haynes to trace the break
Good luck

#8 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 August 2022 - 06:01 PM

The photo you have attached is the AS5 Alarm and immobilizer . The wiring to your car is specific to '95- '96 Minis and you will find the diagrams here in the bottom of the first post

https://www.theminif...agrams-redrawn/

There is a Hypalon fuse link between the starter motor and ignition switch although I can't figure out how a short at the starter could blow this. You may only have damaged the connection to the starter, check for a broken wire there. There are several fuse links at the starter that all look the same (a lenght of black heat shrink leading to a brown cable) if you feel it and stretch it you may be able to find the broken one.  I never came across a source of new ones.

#9 AlBee

AlBee

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 10:18 PM

The photo you have attached is the AS5 Alarm and immobilizer . The wiring to your car is specific to '95- '96 Minis and you will find the diagrams here in the bottom of the first post

https://www.theminif...agrams-redrawn/

There is a Hypalon fuse link between the starter motor and ignition switch although I can't figure out how a short at the starter could blow this. You may only have damaged the connection to the starter, check for a broken wire there. There are several fuse links at the starter that all look the same (a lenght of black heat shrink leading to a brown cable) if you feel it and stretch it you may be able to find the broken one.  I never came across a source of new ones.

Thanks so much, this is great. The wiring diagrams are a fantastic resource.

#10 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 07:10 AM

There's some additional info on this thread:

https://www.theminif...ernator-wiring/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users