2 replies to this topic

#1 lukeagore

lukeagore

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 12:47 PM

Hiya Chaps - My Mini has recently developed a knocking sound and wondered if anybody would be able to enlighten me as to what it may be please? I’m hoping it’s not the bottom end as the noise is consistent with the sound of the valves/tappets and increases in speed when I rev. I’ve had no drop in power and car runs fine, no smoke or anything. Dropped the oil a couple of days ago and nothing out of the ordinary, no chunks of metal or huge amount of metal shavings on the sump plug. Could it be something simple or should I start saving?!

Engine is standard 998 with stage 1 kit. Video of the sound here https://youtube.com/...o?feature=share

Many Thanks

Edited by lukeagore, 28 August 2022 - 12:53 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 August 2022 - 01:46 PM

Ok list everything you have done to the engine from when it did not to it to now. 

ie what have you taken off and refitted or replaced.

I think it is just something stupid dose not sound terminal.

#3 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 03:22 PM

Hiya Chaps - My Mini has recently developed a knocking sound and wondered if anybody would be able to enlighten me as to what it may be please? I’m hoping it’s not the bottom end as the noise is consistent with the sound of the valves/tappets and increases in speed when I rev. I’ve had no drop in power and car runs fine, no smoke or anything. Dropped the oil a couple of days ago and nothing out of the ordinary, no chunks of metal or huge amount of metal shavings on the sump plug. Could it be something simple or should I start saving?!

Engine is standard 998 with stage 1 kit. Video of the sound here https://youtube.com/...o?feature=share

Many Thanks

Not sure what you mean about "consistent with the sound of valves/tappets."  Do you mean the frequency of knock is the same as a ticking tappet, or do you mean you think the actual sound is the same as a tappet?  You might try checking the valve clearances  - if any are wildly out it could relate to the camshaft/cam followers being worn.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users