#1 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 03:16 AM

Hey guys,

I run a 1293 VMAX mini with a DAM2886 box and 3:44 FD. Getting sick of the high revs and useless 1/2 gear so looking at either 3.1 or 2.95 FD. Only question I have is the box I have which seems to be some sort of hybrid A/A+ mix from what I read. Also I see that 2.95 is for A+ and I know my engine is pre-A+. I might have to settle for a 3.1 but curious about the doability of 2.95 with the gear box I have..any feedback would be appreciated

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 October 2022 - 04:39 AM

I almost certainly guarantee if you remove the Mainshaft Bearing Retaining Plate, with an engine like yours especially, you'll find the case is cracked on the second bolt from the back of the box. They weren't a good case. Every single one I see from big wheel Mokes is cracked. I would suggest finding a DAM5626 Case for what you have.

Coming back to your original question regarding gear and in particular, final drive ratios, your gear ratios (assuming original gears) are;-

1st     3.52:1

2nd    2.21:1

3rd    1.41:1

If you find 1st and 2nd useless, you won't want the gears that come in the 5626 boxes.

I'd suggest perhaps looking at a Cooper S Gearset;-

1st     3.30:1

2nd    2.07:1

3rd    1.35:1

together with a 3.2:1 or maybe a 3.1:1 Final Drive might be more what you're after. The 2.95 Final Drive will fit (depending on which Mainshaft Bearing Retainlng Plate you use, you might need to fettle that), however, I think you'll find that a bit too tall.

#3 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:47 AM

Sound advice and I did have it out before (2021 and add xpin for super charger) and here’s some pics spidey - interested your thoughts

#4 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 11:27 AM

So Spidey I checked and block says 12g 1279 block pre a+ and chatted with mini spares who advised 3.1 will fit just fine - not at all interested in cooper s gearset - regarding 2.95 though, with the massive torque of the M45 super charger I don’t think it will be too tall?

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 12:18 PM

I almost certainly guarantee if you remove the Mainshaft Bearing Retaining Plate, with an engine like yours especially, you'll find the case is cracked on the second bolt from the back of the box. They weren't a good case. Every single one I see from big wheel Mokes is cracked. I would suggest finding a DAM5626 Case for what you have.

Coming back to your original question regarding gear and in particular, final drive ratios, your gear ratios (assuming original gears) are;-

1st     3.52:1

2nd    2.21:1

3rd    1.41:1

If you find 1st and 2nd useless, you won't want the gears that come in the 5626 boxes.

I'd suggest perhaps looking at a Cooper S Gearset;-

1st     3.30:1

2nd    2.07:1

3rd    1.35:1

together with a 3.2:1 or maybe a 3.1:1 Final Drive might be more what you're after. The 2.95 Final Drive will fit (depending on which Mainshaft Bearing Retainlng Plate you use, you might need to fettle that), however, I think you'll find that a bit too tall.

possibly something else to consider is the effect of playing around with the drop gear ratios

for example,  with a 29tooth (std) primary gear and 28tooth (eco) input gear, the effective gear ratios quoted above become

1st     3.40:1

2nd    2.14:1

3rd    1.38:1

4th     0.97:1

..with a corresponding effect on the FD selected (i.e. 3.44 becomes 3.32)

#6 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 03:57 PM

Thx guys and slightly outside of my comfort zone as wanted to stick with basically dropping in either 3.1 or thinking more 2.95 - super Charger would be quite effective in dealing with the tallness - another UK buddy swears by the 3.1 so might go that route as from what I hear easier to install

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 06:15 PM

not at all interested in cooper s gearset

Sorry, but I think you dismissed this all too quick

Getting sick of the high revs and useless 1/2 gear

Changing the final dive ratio will go some way to helping with the 'useless 1/2 gear' but fitting taller 1st and 2nd gears, that the S Gear set have will be a bigger improvement.

#8 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 11:52 PM

Spidey the reason I am dismissing the reco as wanted to keep it simple and just swap out the final 3:44 to let’s say a 3:1, (I am not disputing your logic as it is quite correct) I want to stay away from anything else related to the gears is my point - you think I will short change myself and is it complicated ?? Tracking down a good box over here in Canada is like striking gold - near impossible ..

Edited by postve, 09 October 2022 - 11:54 PM.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:53 AM

Spidey the reason I am dismissing the reco as wanted to keep it simple and just swap out the final 3:44 to let’s say a 3:1, (I am not disputing your logic as it is quite correct) I want to stay away from anything else related to the gears is my point - you think I will short change myself and is it complicated ?? Tracking down a good box over here in Canada is like striking gold - near impossible ..

Swapping out the final drive involves the changing of 2 gears + shimming up the diff + locking the gearbox in 2 gears to get the pinion nut undo and done up.

Swapping from the gears you have also involves changing of 2 gears + locking the gearbox to undo and do up the first motion shaft nut.

Overall, they are similar jobs to do and the 2 gears needed for the swap in ratios last time I looked were easily available new.

#10 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 10:25 AM

Thx Spidey and familiar with the effort - is there any video on line and appreciate the help m8- at the end of the day just going to swap out the final gear as hearing from those who have similar set up to mine - will do the trick

Edited by postve, 10 October 2022 - 11:03 AM.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:42 PM

Thx Spidey and familiar with the effort - is there any video on line and appreciate the help m8- at the end of the day just going to swap out the final gear as hearing from those who have similar set up to mine - will do the trick

The few videos I have watched I wouldn't recommend I'm sorry, but it's not a difficult job.

#12 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 08:58 PM

Thx again Spidey!!

#13 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 11:24 AM

Hey Spider,

Found this video and engine come out today - will show box and look for those cracks if any

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 09:02 PM

Hey Spider,

Found this video and engine come out today - will show box and look for those cracks if any

The few videos I have watched I wouldn't recommend I'm sorry,

#15 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 01:05 PM

Thx Spider and interestingly enough the video I sent works wonders for me, gear box off and inspection done - will send a few pics soon - and removing Diff tomorrow and will swap final drive as bought the 3.1 FD. Just cleaning it up for block painting Attached File  Screenshot 2022-10-25 091106.jpg   75.03K   2 downloads

Next step - off with flywheel and bell housing then finally the diff..

Edited by postve, 25 October 2022 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users