84 replies to this topic

#31 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:56 PM

It does look odd, but it could just be the photo.  The clip is definitely wrong but that shouldn't cause the issue you're having.

So next thing to try.  Again with your assistant, get them to push the pedal down and check that the pushrod extends out of the slave cylinder by 1/2".

At this stage, until you have it all working, I would unwind the big throw out nuts so they are well clear of the wok.

Thx Grame will try that later when I get home from work and push rod extends well beyond 1/2 inches from memory (will send a pic) - I use a 4 foot long level as my assistant - wedge against inner door.

#32 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 05:00 PM

Pic with clutch fully depressed - ya cannot see slave but at least 1/2 inch more - gap from small bolt will give you an idea of how much movement

Attached Files

Edited by postve, 17 November 2022 - 07:33 PM.

#33 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:04 PM

Yes that looks OK too.
I presume you can feel the resistance of the diaphragm when you push the pedal down?

#34 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:16 AM

Yes that looks OK too.
I presume you can feel the resistance of the diaphragm when you push the pedal down?

Exactly Graeme which is what puzzles me as well as the slight play required by all clutches before you push down - very normal. Also left the clutch pressed down for 12 hours to see if it would disengage and also if any leaks in master - no to both. As mentioned I got release bearing etc on its way as well as a new slave cylinder return thing as could be the one I have has gone soft

#35 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:41 AM

Graeme. Yaaaaa I can now move the clutch easily and maybe just maybe it was the release bearing bolt as I removed the nut and checked clutch again and it freely moves - thank good

But, I will now put it back on and see what happens if truly the nut/ ball bearing

#36 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 01:12 AM

So very interesting when I set it by the book - or specs I saw Cooperman post years ago, basically assistant push pedal down, then in big nut all the way, release and then turn in one more “flat”, the clutch does NOT disengage

Picture is all the way out and can move clutch again - so does that mean the nut, bolt,plunger , release bearing is toast - all new comes tomorrow anyways??

Attached Files

#37 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:25 AM

So that one flat adjustment on the throw out nut is making the difference?  That's quite a fine tolerance and I've not known one like it.

It could be the release bearing isn't right, but when you come to fit the new one just ensure the thrust plate in the middle of the diaphragm is the right way round (and correct the clip while you're there).

#38 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:27 AM

So that one flat adjustment on the throw out nut is making the difference? That's quite a fine tolerance and I've not known one like it.
It could be the release bearing isn't right, but when you come to fit the new one just ensure the thrust plate in the middle of the diaphragm is the right way round (and correct the clip while you're there).

I will fit all new parts tomorrow and confirmed thrust plate is correct - 5 videos and chat with MED later. Will update once I get it complete

Regarding the “one flat” what I am saying is setting it that way which is text book, clutch does not disengage - ONLY when I unravel the big flat bolt alll the way out then the clutch works. I suspect the release bearing/plunger is the issue and new parts will confirm as currently the arm is not extending out far enough from my basic analysis

Edited by postve, 18 November 2022 - 10:31 AM.

#39 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 01:17 PM

Regarding the “one flat” what I am saying is setting it that way which is text book, clutch does not disengage - ONLY when I unravel the big flat bolt alll the way out then the clutch works. I suspect the release bearing/plunger is the issue and new parts will confirm as currently the arm is not extending out far enough from my basic analysis

Exactly - so nuts backed right off and push pedal (so presumably clutch releases).  Hold pedal down and wind big nut up until it just touches the wok nose (so presumably clutch is still released).  Release pedal and turn one more flat - 1/6th of a revolution, 30 degrees.  This only moves the nut fractionally closer and now the clutch doesn't release?

This doesn't really make sense as the clutch backplate moves more than the distance you've wound the nut, so if it was free before it should at worst drag a bit afterwards, not clamp the plate tight.  If was dragging before then it might clamp up I suppose.

#40 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:59 PM

Exactly - so nuts backed right off and push pedal (so presumably clutch releases).  Hold pedal down and wind big nut up until it just touches the wok nose (so presumably clutch is still released).  Release pedal and turn one more flat - 1/6th of a revolution, 30 degrees.  This only moves the nut fractionally closer and now the clutch doesn't release?

This doesn't really make sense as the clutch backplate moves more than the distance you've wound the nut, so if it was free before it should at worst drag a bit afterwards, not clamp the plate tight.  If was dragging before then it might clamp up I suppose.

Yes I agree does not make any sense and when I get home I am going to swap out all the parts Graeme, button it all up and see what happens - at a minimum I know I can at least get the clutch to move with bolt all the way out.  Questions= - do some guys drive it with bolt extended as far out as I have shown in picture above?? I am wondering though as I reflect back if the play in clutch is as much as it should be, like should it simply move at a slight touch and push of screwdriver or as I do with a little force and only moves if I push it along with the screwdriver  -Like I feel clutch resistance against the flywheel/pressure plate for sure but it does rotate??  Curious as all new to me this experience??

#41 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:36 PM

Looking at this again as new parts came in I believe the real culprit is a nakcered release bearing - I cannot believe the difference in sound and feel from the one I have on there now - look forward to replacing

#42 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 November 2022 - 11:30 PM

Looking at this again as new parts came in I believe the real culprit is a nakcered release bearing - I cannot believe the difference in sound and feel from the one I have on there now - look forward to replacing

Of the 3W5/8 and the 7W5/8 type thrust bearings, none these days seem to be decent. The Japanese 7W5/8 bearings, while looking 'cheap' were quite OK but these too seemed to have disappeared.

#43 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 11:53 PM

Sooo, which end does the clutch arm ball go into?

Attached Files

#44 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:40 AM

Wider side - it won’t fit the other way

#45 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:25 PM

Thx Graeme and new parts in and set gap and does not disengage, going to undo nut all the way out as soon as it warms up this week and try again by to repeat the success I had a few days ago, almost there

Edited by postve, 20 November 2022 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users