Nice Spider and will follow …

#78 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 02:52 AM

I almost certainly guarantee if you remove the Mainshaft Bearing Retaining Plate, with an engine like yours especially, you'll find the case is cracked on the second bolt from the back of the box. They weren't a good case. Every single one I see from big wheel Mokes is cracked. I would suggest finding a DAM5626 Case for what you have.

Coming back to your original question regarding gear and in particular, final drive ratios, your gear ratios (assuming original gears) are;-

1st 3.52:1
2nd 2.21:1
3rd 1.41:1

If you find 1st and 2nd useless, you won't want the gears that come in the 5626 boxes.

I'd suggest perhaps looking at a Cooper S Gearset;-

1st 3.30:1
2nd 2.07:1
3rd 1.35:1

together with a 3.2:1 or maybe a 3.1:1 Final Drive might be more what you're after. The 2.95 Final Drive will fit (depending on which Mainshaft Bearing Retainlng Plate you use, you might need to fettle that), however, I think you'll find that a bit too tall.

Hey Spider an update having driven the 3.1 FD with the original 3:44 gear ratios in my SC classic mini. It’s ooookkkayyy but to be honest not satisfied and starting to give some serious thought to your recommendation of a cooper S setup as my goal is to get the same type of gearing as I have with my 2003 cooper s which i enjoy - gearing as follows;

Gear Ratio. 1st Gear. 4.45 :1. 2nd Gear. 2.71 :1. 3rd Gear. 1.97 :1

Don’t get me wrong, the classic goes but not the way I expected as prefer the smoothness similar to the 2003 - thoughts?

#79 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:25 AM

Hey Spider an update having driven the 3.1 FD with the original 3:44 gear ratios in my SC classic mini. It’s ooookkkayyy but to be honest not satisfied and starting to give some serious thought to your recommendation of a cooper S setup as my goal is to get the same type of gearing as I have with my 2003 cooper s which i enjoy - gearing as follows;

Gear Ratio. 1st Gear. 4.45 :1. 2nd Gear. 2.71 :1. 3rd Gear. 1.97 :1

Don’t get me wrong, the classic goes but not the way I expected as prefer the smoothness similar to the 2003 - thoughts?

The 2003 car I take it is a (BMW) MINI ?  

My thoughts are,,,,, well,,,,, they just don't compare sorry to say.

The characteristics of the engines between the 2 cars would be chalk and cheese.

Ideally, run your Mini engine up in an engine dyno and get a torque curve from 1000 RPM to Red Line, then you'll have some decent data to work from.

Or, try a few different gear sets and final drive combinations to land at what you are after.

#80 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:57 AM

Thx Spider for the feedback! no dumps here in Toronto- I need to ask the 160hp orange mini guy on utube what his ratios are

Edited by postve, 26 May 2023 - 09:03 PM.

#81 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 03:31 PM

Spider, I assume different types of plungers for each throw out bearing -

Attached Files

#82 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 03:32 PM

Also why is one convex and the other flat ?

Attached Files

#83 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:14 PM

As far as I am aware, there was only 3 types of factory plungers for the Pre-verto Clutch;-

1) There was a very early type that had no threads or provision for limiting Over-throw. These were phased out in 60 or 61,

2) The type that's around these days, though there does seem to be a couple of different offerings now, one in a harder material, and

3) Around the mid 70's there was a type similar to that above, only the bearing mount was a little smaller in diameter and a little longer. They used the same bearings, but it fitted up as a floater and was retained with a Star Clip. There was some changes (read: issues) in production that resulted in the spigot for the clutch cover being too small in diameter and the bearing ending up off centre to the crankshaft. This gave rise to clutch shudder and so the 'fix' was to let the bearing find it's own centre. Later again, and for a short while. they made a tool to centre the clutch cover and then dowels (roll pins) were fitted to positively locate the Cover to the Flywheel Housing. The tool was made available to authorised workshops so this could be carried out to customer's cars as needed.

There is also an after market heavy duty Arm and Plunger available, I think it's MED who offer these.

Of the 2 you have, it's possible that they are different as they may have come from different manufacturers or the one on the left maybe of the 3rd type I mentioned here, they had a centre relief in them.

#84 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:28 PM

Amazing Spider and thx for you’re research and will avoid the floater and stick to the snug fit - reason I am back in as hearing a noise every time to depress the clutch and suspect slippage - all signals of a worn bearing - confirmed today as popped off clutch bell housing and throw out bearing barely spun at all - swapping out today

#85 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 02:10 PM

To conclude on this thread after a month all good as clutch/gears work perfectly and boils down to user error during install of throw out bearing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users