Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:57 PM

,,,,,and interestingly enough the video I sent works wonders for me,

Oh I've no doubt they 'work' and clearly show getting the job done, but it's how the job gets done in all the clips I've seen. Maybe I'm pedantic ? I just don't like some of the workshop practices I see. Things like bashing bearings in and out, prying gasketed parts apart with levers etc. Yes, they get the job done, but in my view and from all the things I've seen over the past 35+ years, these poor practices are what lead to short life, oil leaks and worse.

#17 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 12:43 AM

Spider, I would agree 100% as watching it, although it does work for me, he is kinda rough at times and repeated some steps do to incorrect sequencing. It works cause I can learn from his mistakes indeed

Just waiting for my mini spares puller as want to show you the gear box and praying not cracked.. gears,gaskets, arrives today

Edited by postve, 28 October 2022 - 12:44 AM.

#18 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

Ok so decided to flip the engine on its side and remove gears, changed all gaskets, pasted it up and now going back in

Attached Files

#19 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:30 PM

All in and nowwwww.. clutch will not disengage - lol - did everything by the book and down to replacing the release bearing plunger etc and note the clutch is basically brand new with only 600k on it did the following;

- bleed clutch
- Changed slave - it was brand new anyways but had old one
- changed clutch arm - brand new but had old one
- usual gap - 0.25mm - release bearing adjusted big nut accordingly
- changed cleavis pins (why not)
- removed starter to see if by keeping clutch pedal down could I freely turn clutch - nope
- I did notice the diaphragm bolts on my MED ST3 lightened flywheel were so loose I could remove my hand - that was me not torquing to the correct 18psi - this I believe was the rattling I started hearing when car was idling with clutch NOT depressed all the way down

Ok out of options and will see what release bearing does and will be damned if that expensive clutch is gone

#20 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:32 PM

Pic of primary gear through the starter

Attached Files

Edited by postve, 16 November 2022 - 11:32 PM.

#21 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:36 PM

More pics

Attached Files

#22 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:17 AM

So, with someone else pushing the pedal, can you see the backplate move away from the flywheel?

#23 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:25 AM

So, with someone else pushing the pedal, can you see the backplate move away from the flywheel?

It just stays in this position so no

Attached Files

Edited by postve, 17 November 2022 - 09:29 AM.

#24 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:33 AM

OK - that narrows things down then.  You won't turn anything with your screwdriver if the backplate isn't moving and releasing the driven plate.

When you had the flywheel off, did you disassemble the clutch components?  Do you have any photos of the flywheel when installed?

#25 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:59 AM

OK - that narrows things down then.  You won't turn anything with your screwdriver if the backplate isn't moving and releasing the driven plate.

When you had the flywheel off, did you disassemble the clutch components?  Do you have any photos of the flywheel when installed?

It was a pre balanced lightened flywheel from MED so nothing to take apart - let me get some pics

#26 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:03 AM

Here’s a pic

Attached Files

#27 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:30 AM

Photos not very clear but something doesn't look right with the release bearing thrust plate on the diaphragm. Is it fitted the right way round? The retaining clip is certainly incorrectly

Attached Files

#28 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:50 AM

Photos not very clear but something doesn't look right with the release bearing thrust plate on the diaphragm. Is it fitted the right way round? The retaining clip is certainly incorrectly

I was thinking about it but I even marked it when I removed to make sure I did not make that error. Again was one of the first things I checked as should be convex

Correct me if I am wrong

Attached Files

#29 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:08 AM

In addition the oil seal is new, zero oil in clutch housing and generally it all looked good,

Attached Files

#30 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 12:05 PM

It does look odd, but it could just be the photo.  The clip is definitely wrong but that shouldn't cause the issue you're having.

So next thing to try.  Again with your assistant, get them to push the pedal down and check that the pushrod extends out of the slave cylinder by 1/2".

At this stage, until you have it all working, I would unwind the big throw out nuts so they are well clear of the wok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users