#61 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

Unfortunately or fortunately technology has moved on. We the human race demand more and more technology to help us in our day to day lives. This in turn creates the situation we currently find ourselves in with the “Big Brother Is Watching You” society we all reside in.

So unless you live totally off grid there will always be something somewhere somehow looking at you, hearing you.

And it doesn’t surprise me about Teslas and their ability to look at everything and anything in their vicinity. Again it’s technology that has been brought about by us humans wanting more and more.

Break out the Bacofoil hats boys and girls and let’s all live with a Faraday cage around us.

#62 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:05 AM

But if you had a cage around you you would still have to post Tik Tok videos 0f yourself in it eating breakfast(0r somethhing else)Steve..

#63 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:23 PM

I find that story absolutely horrific!! It seems that nowadays there is no privacy from social media to being photographed in the street, now even your car is watching and recording you!

People living in places where they've implemented those Low Traffic Neighbourhoods are finding that some of the cameras are having wires cut, being covered up, or disappearing altogether.  Some people used to give Gatsos a tyre and petrol necklace but I haven't seen that for a while.

#64 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 02:37 PM

The US secretary of energy reckons the US military vehicle fleet should be all electric by 2030.  What could possibly go wrong with that idea?

https://igorchudov.s...pt-all-electric

#65 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 29 April 2023 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately or fortunately technology has moved on. We the human race demand more and more technology to help us in our day to day lives. This in turn creates the situation we currently find ourselves in with the “Big Brother Is Watching You” society we all reside in.

So unless you live totally off grid there will always be something somewhere somehow looking at you, hearing you.

And it doesn’t surprise me about Teslas and their ability to look at everything and anything in their vicinity. Again it’s technology that has been brought about by us humans wanting more and more.

Break out the Bacofoil hats boys and girls and let’s all live with a Faraday cage around us.

I have often wondered if a bacofoil waistcoat would foil a Tazer.

#66 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,834 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 August 2023 - 10:01 AM

Electric London Bus and Tesla car being charged by.....Diesel/Petrol generators!   :lol:

spJ3eWY.jpg

20EnrhJ.jpg

#67 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

20EnrhJ.jpg

needs must when the devil takes a big smelly dump on your driveway

Edited by stuart bowes, 11 August 2023 - 11:19 AM.

#68 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 11 August 2023 - 11:09 PM

I'm in florida. Just went to Disney Hollywood studios. Quite simply the biggest car park I think I've ever seen.
4 electric car chargers...
Definitely no infrastructure over here

#69 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 07:40 AM

The original title of this thread was 'Has the electric car bubble burst' the answer to that question is no and it wont, if you go into any car dealership now a days the manufacturer will be offering a selection of EV or Hybrid models as this is what they want you to buy and the masses seem to be going along with it for various misplaced reasons,the environmental reasons being the major factor along with running costs plus tax breaks for the company car user ( although this is being nipped shut).
Do I like them personally? it will probably come to no surprise to some of you but no I don't, but only because I think that at the moment the technology isn't quite there, it will get to where it needs to be in the next few years but at the moment no, once the real world range is up there with ICE cars then why not. There is one massive elephant in the room that nobody has mentioned yet which sort of surprises me, where is all this additional power supply coming from? Our transport manager looked into potentially changing our fleet onto EV trucks, he's the type of guy that likes a fact or two and dug up an interesting one, apparently if we all go over to EV plus the new government regulations on heating in all new built properties, this country will require 49 new power stations!!!! and let's be honest we can't even get Hinckley Point completed.

Shooter

#70 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 06:41 AM

Oh how the misinformation goes round and round!

I’ve now done 80,000 miles in my daily EV so can comment from that personal experience rather than the Facebook-informed experience.

The vast majority of EV owners charge at home or their place of work, the “charge rate” is approximately 4 miles per kw per hour of charge, so a 3kw charger at home will give 12 miles of charge per hour, charge overnight and it’ll be full in the morning (80% usually).
I’ve never charged at more than 2kw at home because I don’t have a dedicated charger, I use a 13A plug we have on the front of the house. When I got the car I decided to see how I got on and I’d have a charger installed at home if I needed one which hasn’t yet happened.

At work I can charge with 12kw but in reality if it was a typical 7kw “home” charge level I wouldn’t have an issue. If occasionally I only get to say 60% charge because I’ve used it more or time was limited it simply gets topped up the next day. In fact more recently I’ve only been charging it to 70%.

The only time I use a public or supercharger is when I travel further afield, and then it tends to be chargers on the motorway network and typically I’ll stop for maybe half an hour. These days my bladder really appreciates that topping up takes a little longer and the reality is that by the time you’ve found a loo and got back to the car, it’s certainly not the 5 minutes you thought it’d be. I’ve had to queue a few times at public chargers but never for more than 5-10 minutes, the maths quoted already in this thread assumes there’s only one charger and a queue meaning you’ll be there for hours, if that’s what you want to believe, ho hum. None of us have ever had to queue for fuel at a m-way services have we?

The reality is I spend less time “involved” with charging than I did “fuelling” my previous car with diesel. I park up, plug it in and walk away. It might appear odd to some people but I’m generally not in the habit of standing next to the car holding the charging nozzle while it charges, why would I want to do that.

Sadly people are buying EVs thinking they can charge them at Tesco while they do their shopping that will fill them up for the week, then they moan when it doesn’t work out. It’s not the same technology as ICEs and quick fill-ups can’t happen. You charge every day and just keep topping up, however few miles you do in the day.

It’s not complicated even though there’s an awful lot of people without first hand knowledge willing to tell you that it is.

#71 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 06:50 AM

The National Grid claim we have enough infrastructure to support home EV charging, my experience of the power needed at home to charge would tend to support that. Unfortunately if the vast majority install 7kw chargers at home and all charge fully between 4pm and 7pm there wil be issues.

#72 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 07:17 AM

Oh how the misinformation goes round and round!

I’ve now done 80,000 miles in my daily EV so can comment from that personal experience rather than the Facebook-informed experience.

The vast majority of EV owners charge at home or their place of work, the “charge rate” is approximately 4 miles per kw per hour of charge, so a 3kw charger at home will give 12 miles of charge per hour, charge overnight and it’ll be full in the morning (80% usually).
I’ve never charged at more than 2kw at home because I don’t have a dedicated charger, I use a 13A plug we have on the front of the house. When I got the car I decided to see how I got on and I’d have a charger installed at home if I needed one which hasn’t yet happened.

At work I can charge with 12kw but in reality if it was a typical 7kw “home” charge level I wouldn’t have an issue. If occasionally I only get to say 60% charge because I’ve used it more or time was limited it simply gets topped up the next day. In fact more recently I’ve only been charging it to 70%.

The only time I use a public or supercharger is when I travel further afield, and then it tends to be chargers on the motorway network and typically I’ll stop for maybe half an hour. These days my bladder really appreciates that topping up takes a little longer and the reality is that by the time you’ve found a loo and got back to the car, it’s certainly not the 5 minutes you thought it’d be. I’ve had to queue a few times at public chargers but never for more than 5-10 minutes, the maths quoted already in this thread assumes there’s only one charger and a queue meaning you’ll be there for hours, if that’s what you want to believe, ho hum. None of us have ever had to queue for fuel at a m-way services have we?

The reality is I spend less time “involved” with charging than I did “fuelling” my previous car with diesel. I park up, plug it in and walk away. It might appear odd to some people but I’m generally not in the habit of standing next to the car holding the charging nozzle while it charges, why would I want to do that.

Sadly people are buying EVs thinking they can charge them at Tesco while they do their shopping that will fill them up for the week, then they moan when it doesn’t work out. It’s not the same technology as ICEs and quick fill-ups can’t happen. You charge every day and just keep topping up, however few miles you do in the day.

It’s not complicated even though there’s an awful lot of people without first hand knowledge willing to tell you that it is.

I am all for electric. Luckily you have a drive(?) to park on and charge on and have a charger at your place of work. The amount of flats local to where I live it simply won't work

Edited by IronmanG, 20 August 2023 - 07:18 AM.

#73 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 08:28 AM

You’re absolutely correct of course, but as the network develops that will become less of an issue. We need a mass of 7kw chargers at places where people park for extended periods, shopping centres, car parks where they work etc. Having half a dozen 50kw chargers is not the answer hence the queuing issues that some people experience.

#74 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:10 AM

You’re absolutely correct of course, but as the network develops that will become less of an issue. We need a mass of 7kw chargers at places where people park for extended periods, shopping centres, car parks where they work etc. Having half a dozen 50kw chargers is not the answer hence the queuing issues that some people experience.

Yep 7kW would be ok. In crawley there are whole neighborhoods with no driveway parking. 10s of thousands and I'm sure there are others similar.
Need a way to have a charger actually on the roadway/ footpath that can be swiped with a credit card without trailing leads.
All perfectly doable by 2030?

#75 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 12:31 PM

It’s likely to start with modified street lighting, that of course is where the power supply is.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users