11 replies to this topic

#1 FlameRedJ

FlameRedJ

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:12 AM

Hi all! Hoping someone can help. Im about to start on a project thats been delayed 18 years (and thankfully garaged!)

Ive been trying to research what mounts/changes ill need to make to fit it - but im struggling to find anyone who’s done this without it being a 1275 upgrade.

Thanks to anyone who can help! Really cant wait to get it back on the road!

Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:57 AM

How much of each have you got?

It should be straightforward as it's virtually all interchangeable as assemblies. Plumbing the heater could be as challenging as it gets.

An 89 Mini would be A+, so if it isn't you'll just be returning it to original.

#3 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 09:10 AM

The Metro engine, if it's not already been in a mini will have a different engine mount bracket (in alloy) under the radiator. Swap it over. The engine plate behind the timing chain might have an engine mount bracket as part of it. Cut off the extra bit compared with your existing one. Don't know if the Metro 998 had a cable clutch or hydraulic. Might have to convert to hydraulic if so.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:35 AM

I think that's just the early Metros with 4 point engine mounts. They soon swapped to 3 point with the Y shaped ally casting that fits in place of the Mini mounting. 

An '89 Min should have a Verto clutch & might have a remote heater valve, making it more just spannering.

#5 FlameRedJ

FlameRedJ

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 11:43 AM

thanks all! fairly certain it was not an a+ in the first place.

i understood that the mounts would be a little different, its also all a sealed to the gearbox, and since it all seems to be behaving nicely i think id rather keep it as one, than connect the "new" engine to old gearbox, which has sat open to the elements for a few years!  

Sorry to ask questions that have probably been answered a million times before! id like like to make sure im ordering the right parts before getting an engine crane and feeding a friend with beers and maize based snacks.

Just want to understand what mounts ill need to drop it all in after the old one comes out, and if theres anything else that needs considering, that wont connect like standard. (I have a stage 1 kit for it which im sure will be fine) 

Alternatively - is there anyone on here who has an engine crane who could take the old gearboox out and put the new engine in? (this probably needs to be asked in another part of the forum) - trying to weigh up doing somethig myself i havent done before after an 18 year haitus, vs what it might cost for someone who has a clue!

thanks

Attached Files

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 02:40 PM

Well that one's an A+

The key identifiers are the reinforcing ribs on the front & back of the block, the shorter alternator bracket (above oil filter) & the fork style distributor clamp. You can also see the triangle of bolt holes on the back of the clutch housing in the 1st piccy. Only A+ units have them, to attach a Metro engine mount. No other mounts visible, but the bolt holes for the Mini ones will be there.

It's also not possible to  tell which pattern of clutch it has & looks like the starter motor is missing. They can be swapped over, but there are some compatibility issues to look out for.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:00 PM

You will probably have different final drive ratios and the Speedo will be massively inaccurate.Now is the time to work out which Speedo gears you will need and change them.I did not do this and it is much less easy to change them in situ.Steve..

#8 FlameRedJ

FlameRedJ

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:15 PM

You will probably have different final drive ratios and the Speedo will be massively inaccurate.Now is the time to work out which Speedo gears you will need and change them.I did not do this and it is much less easy to change them in situ.Steve..

Thanks for this! great to know with the amount of speed cameras there are anywhere a speed limit drops from 40>30 seeminly religiously anywhere near where i live! 

I know on this engine the final drive ratios should be: 3.65:1 - ive looked up the engine by engine number and codes. (assuming someone 30 years ago didnt swap the gearbox for a laugh)

#9 FlameRedJ

FlameRedJ

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:16 PM

Well that one's an A+

The key identifiers are the reinforcing ribs on the front & back of the block, the shorter alternator bracket (above oil filter) & the fork style distributor clamp. You can also see the triangle of bolt holes on the back of the clutch housing in the 1st piccy. Only A+ units have them, to attach a Metro engine mount. No other mounts visible, but the bolt holes for the Mini ones will be there.

It's also not possible to  tell which pattern of clutch it has & looks like the starter motor is missing. They can be swapped over, but there are some compatibility issues to look out for.

Thanks a lot - aa friend of mine who knows much more about what he is doing will probably be able to help me with this in the next couple of months! just want to be able to get the parts in place in advance if possible to make it as smooth as anything ever is when you do something on a mini that you decide should take a morning. 

#10 FlameRedJ

FlameRedJ

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:39 PM

Me again! wasnt sure if to add here or make a new thread. 

My friend has an A+ 1275 Radiator, does anyone know if that would be useable for this engine? it's been flushed and checked for pressure and works well -

The radiator that's come out of this car looks like it's been through a warzone, and didn't win. 

Thanks in advance!

#11 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:45 PM

That will work no problems at all

just keep cool..!!

#12 FlameRedJ