#1
Posted Today, 10:51 AM
I've primed the entire body shell in Bilt Hamber Highbild primer over their Electrox zinc rich primer.
Before painting, the car was thoroughly degreased with Upol system 20 slow drying degreaser.
After the Highbild has been flatted I want to wipe the panels again to remove the last of the dust (before tack rag) and any remaining contaminants before spraying the base coat.
I tried using the Upol degreaser again but it is slightly dissolving the primer.
I contacted Bilt Hamber technical support who suggested I used white spirits instead. Against my better judgement I followed their advice and that stripped the primer completely back down to bare metal!
I've gone back to them for any other ideas but based on their first answer im a bit unsure about trusting any other solutions they suggest.
Has anyone here used their Highbild primer and if so, what did you use to clean the panels after flatting?
#2
Posted Today, 12:02 PM
#3
Posted Today, 12:34 PM
I would recommend epoxy primer,my go to is lechler 29107,it is waterproof and reacts with hardly anything.Steve..
Thanks, that's one option but I've already fully primed the car now with Highbild so I would rather find a solution here first.
Worst case though I can strip it all again and start over
#4
Posted Today, 12:46 PM
Have you tried using standard 2k thinners? Because the slow degreaser take longer to flash off, it has longer to dissolve the primer - normal thinners should be less destructive. I'm, also using Bilt Hamber Electrox and use my slow thinners to remove it from my gun. I know lots of people swear by epoxy, but having a zinc primer like electrox onto the bare metal is some of the best protection you can get. I plan to epoxy the shell as a whole when it's all welded.
#5
Posted Today, 02:44 PM
Never use white spirit as a degreaser before paint. It leaves an oily residue behind when it evaporates.
#6
Posted Today, 03:29 PM
I use glass cleaner before basecoat, avoids disolving the primer with upol panel wipe, though I do use the upol stuff for cleaning existing paintwork before any prep work.
#7
Posted Today, 04:42 PM
Never use white spirit as a degreaser before paint. It leaves an oily residue behind when it evaporates.
I only tried it as it's what they recommended. I should have trusted my judgement
#8
Posted Today, 04:43 PM
I use glass cleaner before basecoat, avoids disolving the primer with upol panel wipe, though I do use the upol stuff for cleaning existing paintwork before any prep work.
That's a great idea, I'll give that ago
Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint
paint
Mini Technical Sections →
Bodywork, Paint and Detailing →
Choosing Correct Color For EngineStarted by LeoS , 25 Apr 2026 |
|
|
||
paint
Mini Technical Sections →
Bodywork, Paint and Detailing →
Identify The Oiginal Body Color CodesStarted by Vítor Brasil , 18 Feb 2025 |
|
|
||
Mini Technical Sections →
Bodywork, Paint and Detailing →
Does Anyone Know The Colour And Colour Code Of This Mini?Started by Ryanrjstorey , 18 Feb 2025 |
|
|
||
paint
Mini Technical Sections →
Bodywork, Paint and Detailing →
2K Or Not 2KStarted by BobbyMax , 28 Apr 2024 |
|
|
||
Mini Technical Sections →
Bodywork, Paint and Detailing →
Looking For Original Paint Codes/colour SuggestionsStarted by BernardMini , 10 Sep 2023 |
|
|
3 user(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users
-
Tupers











