106 replies to this topic

#91 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

Looks really good, have you got any good advice that you would give to me as i think ill have a go at hand spraying my trailer project.

#92 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

Tom,...You will need the patience to do it correctly, as long as you don't rush, and make sure everyhting is perfect,... you'll have stunner.

#93 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Advice? Just read through this thread mate, i had no bloody clue what i was doing at the start.

Also, anyone know a good way of getting wax off the car? I'm not happy with the final coat :thumbsup:

#94 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

To get wax off..(bearing in mind you're gonna respray the panel in question)... I'd probably Run some De-greaser over it, then just re-prep it with wet and dry,.. but then thoroughly De-grease the panel again Using thinners or actual Panel wipe.

#95 wobblybob

wobblybob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

thinners will prob take most of the paint off tbo

#96 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

thinners will prob take most of the paint off tbo

Welkl that depends what thinners you use. White spirit wont thin cellulose etc etc. I should have been more specific. Find a thinner that wont react with your paint and it can be used as a very effective De-greaser...

#97 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

We have been painting the workshop over the past few weeks. Using thinners to clean the brushes.

I say be B**DY careful when choosing thinners, I put the brushes in a jar of thinners last night, this morning there was no bristles left on the brush! :ermm:
Proper Acid like, And cheap brushes I think.

#98 Cisco

Cisco

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

Just read through the whole post and its looking really good mate. Hats off to you for keeping going and getting the job done.

Last year I sprayed up some side-skirts for my car (not mini) and used tins from Halfords. Ended up emptying the shelves every week buying tins of Fiat Black, primer and lacquer! As you probably found out, the key to it all is preparation. 10 hours prep, 10 mins spraying.

The thing about completing a project yourself, is knowing that you have done that, and you're proud of it. You could ofcourse just send her off to the bodyshop and get a perfect finish whilst you sit at home and sink a beer. However knowing you've put your time in to it and finished it, although it may not be perfect, really does make it that bit special.

Good luck with future projects and nice one on finishing this one right through to the end,

John

#99 webby

webby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

looks very good, just finished doing mine in the same way but cream not black

alex

#100 isellapples

isellapples

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Edited by isellapples, 24 December 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#101 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

over four grand was spent on parts

is it only me who thinks this? Where...and to be honest youve come on here with a bad attitude, and expect not to be flamed?

good luck with this dude, would be intresting to see this done in the end. :D

#102 wayne11

wayne11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

good job mate as long as you chuffed with it,thats main thing looks good to me , i used to use cans but kept gettin sore finger lol so went an brought a compressor an spray kit an learnt to use the right kit so to speak so much more control over paint thickness etc

#103 madminilee

madminilee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

lol this is brilliant!! i never thought you could spray a car with rattle cans!!!! and you've done an amazin job!! i could have a go but how long did it take ya? im have rubbish patience!! :)

#104 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Hello all :wub:

Yes... i am back!

After having the black mini die on me, buying a 2 litre Audi and hating every second driving it and now...

Buying another mini! Its ace!

Its a 1979 mini 1000 with all chrome trimming, original center oil dials and not a spot of rust on the whole thing! I'm going down to pick her up tonight.

But more on topic, i will be respraying the car to a lovely Amaranth purplele! This time i have the money, and the means to do it all properlly. I'm going down to the motor panals shop to get me a compressor etc for painting the car, i've got a fully sealed garage and i am going to be hiring industrial heaters and dehumidifiers.

This time i want it to look perfect. I'm setting my standards high and getting my girlfriend to help out with masking and taking the trimmings off. She will make a good beer holder too :lol:

So yes, just updating the thread really and letting everyone know how things are going. I will be starting the job in the coming weeks, and i have a new digi camera so expect loads of fun pictures!

#105 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

GREAT NEWS CHICKY!

Good to have you back here mate, welcome aboard once again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users