#136 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

Hello all,
you can fwd an R1 without modifying any panels or lengthening, you need to reverse the engine, chain drive it backwards to a transfer box or modded mini box. That way you can definately get it in, a hayabusa would need some lengthening of the front end unless you cut into the bulhead to get the extra room.

I'm doing a R1 fwd mini now, using a quaife transaxle, I may need to lengthen the front by a couple of inches I will know more this weekend when I temp mount the engine/transaxle for precise measurments

Cheers
David

#137 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

Sorry, I was talking about my car, I haven't got the height in a minus so the engine would've needed to be brought forward. Therefore the front extended.
I did say that Joontae would need a longer front but obviously I got that bit wrong.

#138 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

You can get an R1 in the mini of a standard round front mini but it's a real pain to do and expensive aswell as most people do not have the know how or access to machinery to do it themselves cheaply and I'm not to sure on long term reliability either with all the connections nessecary to do this and also a short chain which unless it is running in a oil bath is a know problem area.

That's why I have decided to use the quaife box and possibly lengthen the front as required

David

#139 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:16 PM

Ade
Didn't think bright orange looked too different with the purple :rolleyes:

Went out and dusted off my rollcage today and boy does it shine in the sun :lol: Can't wait to finish welding and start bolting it together.

Pete

#140 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:41 AM

when you lengthen the front end, even by a couple of inches, is there a heck of alot of panel work that has to be done? ive always wondered this after seeing a Type-R engined round nose mini with a 90mm extension on the wings, it looked fine, not really that noticable

Ade & pete these mini's are going to be mad

#141 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:11 AM

Ade
Didn't think bright orange looked too different with the purple :rolleyes:

Pete

Not even I am that void of taste to contemplate that one!!!! :grin: :tongue:

#142 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:55 PM

Sorry Ade, your right. The BARBIE pink will look better :grin:

#143 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

Sorry Ade, your right. The BARBIE pink will look better :grin:

Now Now Pete you know I have a fondness for Quail egg Blue... :rolleyes:

Ade

#144 Joontae

Joontae

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:08 AM

Hey mate. Status on recovery? How ya doin? Gives a heads up.

Derek

#145 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

Well I'm ready to start doing things on the mini again. But won't be able to do any heavy lifting for a little while yet. But thankfully the first few jobs I'll be doing wont really need any. And if they do I have roped some friends into being around just in case :cheese:

So finger crossed some progress should start being made soon.

Ade

#146 Joontae

Joontae

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:46 AM

That's good man. GL and don't lift anything heavy man.

#147 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

Well as I guess is the way with these things not everything went to plan.....

Started to think about sorting the floor for the carpet which meant trying to remove the old glue/carpet underlay!! :cry:

If we just say that was not fun and it took myself and a friend (thanks Tom) all saturday armed with a wire brush and an electric sander to get enough off to even think about putting the carpet down!!!

Anyway thats about all there is to report :sad: as I can't lift anything yet, just to get to my car to work on it I have to move everything that will eventually make the car whole. Combine that with the fact that I may have found someone who can paint the car for me and he would prefer it bare bodyshell I'm stuck in a limbo of what to do next!!!

Oh well once i have some parts I'm waiting on I'll try and crack on with getting the front subframe assembled. Without lifting it of course!! :P

Ade

#148 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

Still not much progress to report I'm afraid. Last weekend was spent trying to liberate parts from an old subframe to no avail!!! :(

Also have just discovered that some of the parts I've bought don't fit :sad: so am having a bit of a downer at the minute.

But will be having another crack at it this weekend and am determined to make it look different to how it does now!!!!

Will post pics of any progress made.....

#149 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:25 AM

Chin up mate, keep thinking of the final product and the admiration you will get for the wee beast :grin:

#150 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:50 AM

Cheers mate.

My main motivation is that I am not going to be one of the "for sale unfinished project" I am going to finish it and it'll be great!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users